How to attract international guests?

How to attract international guests?

Hi

We're in Portland Oregon USA Is there anyone here that actively tries to attract internaional guests?

Thanks!

12 Replies 12
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Beth-And-Robert0

You have fantastic reviews - people love your place. Just wondering why international guests? Is it to meet a broader range of people? Not sure many people organise their trip around AirBnBs as a destination - so you might want to look at your profile and say a bit more about yourself but also what's on offer in your area.

That's a great idea! We kept meaning to do that but forgot. I see a project this weekend 🙂 

For some reason when we started a year ago we had more people from Canada, Asia etc but now not so much. 

We'd like more bookings. 

Thanks for responding! 🙂

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Beth-And-Robert0 As another local host, a small percentage of my guests are international - and mostly in the summer. Portland is a very saturated market, so there’s lots of competition. 

Don't we know it. 😕 it seems like last year at this time the bookings were more steady at this time but probably even that short a time ago there were less listings. 

We're just trying to think of anything else we might do that could help even a little and still make it worth it. Airbnb suggests painfully low rates. Ugh.  

Well that's the only way to gain more bookings. The rates should be competitive to other hosts, specially because you said there are lots of hosts who are renting and you're also 30min from the city center.. In city where I leave is a turist destination and I am "just" 1,5km out of city center, and its quite a difference. I think you should at least try reducing your rates or try smart pricing for some period of time, and watch what is happening. If you'll have more or less the same amount of bookings, means your destination is not that attractive for potential international guest.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Beth-And-Robert0 I noticed a few months ago I got a review from a guest from China in Mandarin. The review was listed very last in my que of reviews. When I looked into why the Mandarin review was listed last, I found out that the reviews are stacked according to the language you are searching in. So when people searching Airbnb using Manadarin, my Mandarin reviews come up first. Same situation for Dutch, in my situation. So now anyone searching in those languages see my listing as having hosted a person speaking their language. The first Chinese guest has turned into about six other groups so far in just about three months. I can see your listing for some reason but if you post a link I would enjoy seeing it. 

I do alter my listing amenities now for my foreign Asian guest. I provide spa slippers, tea and Asian themed snacks. One thing I found amazing, we had a Chinese guest stay and he drew a blueprint of the house in our guest book. This blueprint outlined every piece of furniture and had labels in Chinese characters. I’m going to photograph it and ad it to my listing photos. 

Anyway, I think it all comes down to getting reviews in the target language you are looking for as bookings.

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Wow, super awesome suggestions 🙂 1 diagram of our space coming up! Also, the spa slippers and Asian themed snacks are great ideas. How do people read anything in a listing when it's in another language let alone the reviews?

Did you mean you couldn't see our listing? Try

airbnb.com/rooms/15888715

@Beth-And-Robert0 Correct, I couldn’t see your list but I do now. Beautiful space, correctly presented and tasteful decor. Great job. 

I saw a grammatical error in your description. It should read 1/2 hour TO city center. 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a host’

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

In three years we've ONLY had international guests. 🙂    With one exception of one group that was from the same country we host in. 😉

I think it's mostly decided by the destination; if it's a popular tourist destination then you're going to get a lot of international guests.   Also just in case fill in that guests can contact you in a bunch of languages; Google Translate helps.  And you can do versions of your location details in different languages.

Hi! With the holidays it was hard to get back. But thanks for your comment. I was thinking of something along these lines too but what languages?