How to be a Superhost

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to be a Superhost

Superhost.jpg

Hello everyone,

If you’re new here, welcome to the Community Center! The Community Center is a place for our global community of hosts to connect and share ideas.

Join this discussion to learn about what it takes to be a Superhost. Superhosts go above and beyond for every guest and often share valuable tips for creating great stays. From thoughtful gestures like leaving chocolates on pillows to welcoming guests with a handwritten note, there are many ways to be an outstanding host.

Do you have a favorite hosting tip? Share what you do to go the extra mile below. Click “Join the Conversation” to participate.

We look forward to hearing your tips!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

256 Replies 256

I believe being polite is never out of style. So meeting my guests on arrival is important to me. I use that greeting/checkin time to give a quick and brief overview of the space and myself. After that, they don't have to see or hear from me if they don't want to.   

C-I think this is what SEPARATES a host from a SUPERHOST

I host in my own place sometimes up to 3 different guests and I cannot imagine having guests at my home while I am there and not meeting them. I think we live better when we are surrounded by humans. Even though I have self check-in. I always take the time to greet them, as d while I meet them explain how my system works at my home and I think they appreciate that. 

But I don’t work outside and my studio is downstairs, I run there to work. 

Im a superhost and we used to try to meet everyone when possible.  Our little cabins on our property where we live.  However Ive realized that alot of guests  dont want to meet you.  They dont want to talk or in some cases even be polite.  Ive had a few folks and they couldnt run inside fast enough.  Everybody is different and thats ok.  But now I dont make it a point to meet everybody.  I definitley greet them if I see them but I give them space.  Now instead I send them messages greeting them & after they leave.   Im avalble when needed and they can always reach me via phone, message, text etc.  So please dont be too dissappointed that your host does not come knock on your door and introduce themselves.  They may be feeling the same way and feel that if you wanted to be social then you would say something.

I sometimes feel that people want a bit of “ space” and do not want them to feel like I’m “ monitoring them”. 

I reflect that in my descriptions.  If they’d like to meet up.  A text, call or email is all it takes.  It’s sort of like when you rent and the “ manager” apt is next door.  

I  am sure if thry live there, they’d be happy for you to text them and meet up outside in person. 

I just invited three sets of my guests to my own private Thanksgiving in my home....

two sets came. One was brand new chrck in. The others flew in and got here when we had put all food away.  All guests had left.  I kept out two plates fir them.  Turkey. Dressing. The works. I’ll tahe them pie over next. Left them fresh farm bananas.  The other I borrowed a coffee grinder for her... third set are feeding the cats over at that house. Plus meeting cable repair.  

I don’t live near the property, I based on the conversation. If I feel that a particular guest isn’t understanding or reading through the information I plan to meet and greet. Other times I just am not able to do so. I stayed at a place in Denver, CO, where the host lives next door and she worked nights. During the day she slept so we never met her during our stay. 

Hi

I am an host myself. A little holyday home and one room inside my own home.

For me, it´s important that I personally welcome all my guests. I hand them the keys, give them useful information about the stay, the nature around me, the culture etc.

I want to feel heartly welcome

I am a host and I Airbnb my cottage which is 150 feet from my cottage. I let my guest know I am available anytime  thru text on Airbnb.

They know I am just a text away. They do not know as the owner, I live next door. I feel it would make them feel awkward if they knew. They are my guests not my friends. 

They are there to enjoy the space not my company ...

Eilean0
Level 2
Whangarei, New Zealand

I think I am the same as you. I have many short stays- have been known to have had 10 people over 4 days, so if there is a negative review it gets buried quite quickly. Have had only one and that was very early on. It was the middle of winter and I'd given them warm sheets. They complained that they were cheap and nasty. Actually they weren't but now I ask.

So far I have yet to cancel a reservation and do have instant book, so am careful to block days I don't want booked.

Flannel sheets? Trying to keep them warm?

wow!

You know I'm so worried that exactly that happens to me a lot since I'm close to airport many gest stay for short periods and usually they don't live any reviews I wonder if that affects my performance 

Hi Madel. I get mainly one night stays. But I greet each guest to welcome them and if they want it, give them local tips for where to eat, what to do etc, and  I always engage in conversation. If they seem open and friendly its a lovely way to hear about other places and peoples experiences.If they seem to want to be left alone I respect that too. 

When they leave I ask for a reiview, I explain how we try to be the best hosts possible and how their review and ratings help us to maintain our superhost status. I always review them as guests and again remind them about leaving us a review. It really helps. Of course there are the odd one or two that don't respond, but that's okay too. Hope you get some more reivews. Katy.

I have found a way to promote good guests to leave a good reviews ( that I well deserved).

Here is what I do. With the guests that I know liked me, my place, and I know a gut feeling they were happy. I tell them in a text how wonderful they were and how clean they left the place and that I will be leaving them a five star. 
they usually rate me back the same. 
I tried not to do that with anyone I felt was unhappy for what’d reason. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

It has all to do with cashing in those necessary 5* reviews I suppose.  How to manage that would vary greatly from host to host and what they offer.

My approach has been that every property has it's pros and cons, so it may be necessary to overcompensate in some areas to make the pros outnumber the cons.

I am not even an on-site host most of the time, so in my case it has more to do with what is on offer than about personal presence. My daughter is my co-host and is making a very good job of it.  I believe my guests have most appreciated:

Flexibility.

The value for money aspect.

Attention to details.

Clear communication.

A home rather than a bone rental.

Being in a prime location, in a modern and sound-proofed building has of course helped a lot in the positive direction.

I am new to hosting - but here most of the guest the 3 main  things was Cleaness of the apartment and  Being able to mee the host and socializing  / 3rd as you said (The value for money aspect.)

Well for me Airbnb .. I finally found a new Hobby -- Hosting on Airbnb.