How to be a Superhost

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to be a Superhost

Superhost.jpg

Hello everyone,

If you’re new here, welcome to the Community Center! The Community Center is a place for our global community of hosts to connect and share ideas.

Join this discussion to learn about what it takes to be a Superhost. Superhosts go above and beyond for every guest and often share valuable tips for creating great stays. From thoughtful gestures like leaving chocolates on pillows to welcoming guests with a handwritten note, there are many ways to be an outstanding host.

Do you have a favorite hosting tip? Share what you do to go the extra mile below. Click “Join the Conversation” to participate.

We look forward to hearing your tips!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

256 Replies 256
Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@LizzieThe thing our guests mention the most, is being there for them as a host. Not possible for everybody, so clearly not essential to Superhost status, but we live round the corner and it's what people coming on holiday for several days find helpful.

An example would be our current guests who want to go fossil hunting and I said I'd drop round a bucket and some hammers tomorrow. They were surprised this would be possible. I want them to have a good time, they're paying good money, it will cost me nothing but a few minutes of my time. We're all happy!

Deanna52
Level 2
Big Bear Lake, CA

With each guest I learn a little more and make adjustments.  I seem to get the best reviews when I let the guests check themselves in, but let them know to call me if they need anything or have any questions.  (I live in another section of the house). Initially I text them the special little quirks about the guest quarters and give them a friendly acknowledgement that the place is ready for them.  Even though my listing states there is a fee for early check-in, if there are no back-to-back booking time crunches, I will let them know if the place will be ready early and don't charge them.  They are always welcome to drop off their luggage even if the place is not ready.

I clean and vaccuum meticulously and make sure everything looks and smells fresh and clean.  I leave a little basket of goodies, and put drinks on the counter.  Jams, sugar, creamer, coffee and an assortment of teas are also available.  In the bathroom are extra toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, soap, and other little items such as safety pins, band-aids, etc.  Sometimes people take them all, but mostly they just use a few of the items (thankfully cheap at the local $ store!). I also stock the fireplace and all they have to do is light it.  

If they want extra ice, I let them know just to give me a call, but people usually go to the grocery store and stock up on this.  Last time, the toilet backed up and I came down to mop up and washed and dried the rugs for them.  I fixed the problem the next day, and offered them 50% off the second day of their next stay and thenked them for being so patient.  (Luckily it was not the main bathroom!).

I'd say that being friendly and helpful is the biggest secret of my success.  I also update my Airbnb pictures, description and add points of interest periodically to make sure it reflects any changes. I also buy new pillows, sheets and blankets when they start to look worn.  Last year I re-evaluated the space, rearranged it and even purchased some new furniture.  I want my renters to be happy and I treat the space as if I was hosting my own family!

Dear Deanna

Thank you very much for your help.

Martha

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Just mentioning in @Deanna52 here, so she is notified about your kind response @Thomas734. It is great to see you found her response really helpful. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I've been hosting since Feb 2015 and a Superhost since July 2015.  I'm extremely fortunate in that I am able to rent out the entire top floor of my home which comprises of a double bedroom, shower room and a sitting room/study.  I am also extremely fortunate in that I live in a lovely "villagey" part of west London with wonderful local shops, coffee shops, restaurants and pubs with easy access to both Heathrow and central London.  With all those plus points on my side I would have to be very stupid not to take advantage of them and mess things  up by being anything less than friendly, helpful and able to read what the guest wants.  Most guests are a little anxious when they arrive anywhere new so the first job is to dispel that anxiety and make them feel like they are truly welcome by smiling - no one wants the door opened by someone with a face like a thunder cloud.  Make sure that the room is spotless and looks inviting and cosy - if they are arriving after dark, make sure that there is a bedside lamp switched on, a desk lamp etc.  I still get a real kick out of hearing a guest say "Ahh this is lovely" when they get upstairs! It is also vital to extablish  their level of understanding of English - there is no point in chatting away happily to a guest about the facilities if they don't understand you.  This should have been partially apparent from the pre trip communication anyway, but some times I have found that they have asked other people to type their messages to me and that their level of understanding is way lower than I expected.  I've had some very funny "sign language" sessions ...

I suppose the most important thing to remember is that the guests are paying to stay with us - it can be easily forgotten in the hundreds of other little issues that arise - and that as such, and within reason it is our job to provide a first rate service and cater to their needs. A resentful sigh or grimace when they ask you the same  question for the umpteenth time is not what superhosts do.  

The greatest compliment a guest can pay is to say that staying here has made their trip to London "special" or "memorable" - that really does make all the hard work worthwhile.

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

" if they are arriving after dark, make sure that there is a bedside lamp switched on, a desk lamp etc."

Wow .....5 stars for this ! will use next time. 

Audrey177
Level 2
Wellard, Australia

I have been an Airbnb host  for 6 months and super host for 1 month. 

I have two rooms in my house and most of my bookings are for 2 or more nights.

Thanks for lots of great ideas to add just that little bit more to my guests experience. 

For me it is all about cleanliness and being accessible, available and super friendly. Knowing when to leave the guests to them selves and when to be social.

I will always go the extra mile. 

I have accompanied a guest on the 1/2 hour train ride at 6am to the city centre and made sure he caught his connecting train because he was nervous using the public transport system. 

I have accompanied a mother and 2 year old to the beach and an adventure playground while her partner was at work.

I can do these thing as I have the time and love being helpful and love being an Airbnb host.

One thing I have noticed about human nature is that most guests seem to spend most of their time, for the first 3 days, in their rooms (even though I have a number of areas to relax in). Then they relax a bit more and utilise the other areas in the house. I was concerned at first then realised that I did exactly the same thing when I stayed as a guest at a number of Airbnb's in Scotland. Have others noticed this?

I have been a super host for 3 consecutive quarters of 2017, It has been a learning experience for me since I only joined AirBnB about a year ago. I am just being "ME" all the time, I treat my guests how I would wish to be treated if I travel and stayed in an AirBnB. It has been great so far!!!

Hi Community!

I have been an Airbnb Host/Super Host, for a couple of years.  I started with one room off the back of my house and it did so well, I built another room.  Both rooms have ensuite bath, separate guest entrance, off street parking and my location is very close to downtown Asheville.  So those are some key features I have going for me.

I echo, as another host mentioned - I curated a room that I would want to stay in: comfy bed, quality linens, fresh and not cluttered with personal belongings, and as many ammenitites and I could offer (good wifi, hair dryer, extra blankets, chocolates, fresh flowers, fresh fruit, air conditioning, fans, extra space heater, noise reduction items, self check-in and of course - hangers,).  A snack prep area so people can make coffee, tea, and small refreshments at their convenience.  There is a toaster oven, dishers, glasses, mugs, silverware, fridge along with electic kettle, coffee maker and supplies.  There is a table where people can enjoy their food and also work if they need to.  The eclectic decor offers an interesting boutique vibe (original art work, distressed furniture, nice extras) There is one thing I choose not to offer, TV, and I do think some people definitely want that.

Having a spotless, fresh, good smelling room is key for comfort.  I update and maintain my room regularly with paint touch ups, small remodel updates, new linens and duvet covers and keep thinking on "How can I improve the experience for my guests?".  This is a process that does not end.

Communication is also important.  I send a thank you note upon getting a booking and closer to the date (10 days before)  a very detailed arrival instructions. Check-in date, I have a "room is ready note", with reminder about arriving and typically I can get the room ready early, so I let them know that.   If I do not have back to back reservations, I am happy to let people check in early or check out late at no cost.  When they arrive, I try to suss out if they want to be thoroughly greeted or prefer a bit more anonymity.  Not all guests want to be showered with friendliness.  Inside the room, I have a laminated information sheet with ALL the details they will need for their stay.  When I have guests (which is a good part of the year), I keep my phone by me and answer any questions in a timely way and sometimes, if I am going out for a long period, I write my guests to see if they need anything during my absence.  Morning of check out, I send a thank you and check out note with a reminder to check for their belongings, the check out time and a invitiation to let me know if there are things I can add to improve their experience.

I think the biggest asset for a host, is the sincere desire and pleasure to host people.  For me, its changed my life and I am so grateful for the chance to earn a good living, that I think it comes through in my communication, presence and quality of the room.  I am very earnest about having my guests be comfortable, happy and exceed their expectations.

I hope this is helpful for other hosts, as building this awesome community is so important in the world today.

Lizzy
Asheville, NC Host

Marj2
Level 4
New York, NY

AirBnB Guest MapAirBnB Guest Map

I welcome guests with a personal tour and have them put a pin in the AirBnB guest map. After 3 years as a superhost, I now have guests from every major continent!

When booking, I make sure guests have reviews or provide references, but also use my intuition. I have not had a single issue in 3 years, other than guests being a bit aloof or keeping to themselves (which is fine). Intuition is everything. 

Most of all, I share my heart with my guests (and they with me) and I think that means more than anything. I have friends all over the world now, thanks to this experience. So grateful. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Marj2

I like your map idea and think I'm going to steal it! 

I should have maybe started this from the beginning as I have now had guests from so many different countries, but better late than never I guess...

@Huma0We won't tell if you put the pins in yourself for previous guests 🙂

Any7
Level 2
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Yeah, why don’t AirBnB provide such a map for superhosts on the App (or Web)? Great idea!

Actually, when I got the map I had already been hosting about a year, so I added the previous pins myself. I looked up where in the country each person was so that it would be accurate too. LOL.

This is the map: https://www.etsy.com/listing/252719579/push-pin-world-map-canvas-world-map They have all kinds of colors and customizations. The company is Spain and they are fantastic. I thought of connecting AirBnB with them a while ago and I think I mentioned it, but never heard back. Enjoy! 

I love this!!! Did you order the map online?