How to be a Superhost

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to be a Superhost

Superhost.jpg

Hello everyone,

If you’re new here, welcome to the Community Center! The Community Center is a place for our global community of hosts to connect and share ideas.

Join this discussion to learn about what it takes to be a Superhost. Superhosts go above and beyond for every guest and often share valuable tips for creating great stays. From thoughtful gestures like leaving chocolates on pillows to welcoming guests with a handwritten note, there are many ways to be an outstanding host.

Do you have a favorite hosting tip? Share what you do to go the extra mile below. Click “Join the Conversation” to participate.

We look forward to hearing your tips!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

256 Replies 256

You will find all kinds of hosts.  I have traveled through Airbnb, and I have had all kinds of hosts.  I particularly like to have my privacy and not feel that the host is watching me all the time.  I have socialized with some people and not with others.  Was you communication fluid before the stay?  At this time I have a self check in in one of my listings so I never have the chance to meet my guests.  My co-hosts or my cleaning lady does.  Just don't take it personal.  If you need help or information, just reach out; I am sure they will be happy to help you.

Maybe someone else can help me... I see that there are people called super host... Does that mean that they stay on the property on site?

Superhost means that the host has completed several criteria from guest reviews,  no cancellations on guests, a 4.8 rating or above, and others. We're evalutated 4 times a year. I believe less than 10% of hosts are superhosts. It does not mean the host lives or stays on the property. 

You are so right. I am one of those hosts who does not live on my property. I show up whenever I need to so I dont get to meet all my guests.

no.

No super host is a title you get when you get a certain rating with Airbnb. There's qualifications that are required by Airbnb you need to meet those. A shared home is a shared room or private entry room with access to part of the home but not all of it. I believe that's what you're asking about.

No it means that they are more experienced because they hosts more often, they almost never cancel on anyone. Higher standards. 

i always talk to my guests and we share our stories.it could be on the first day on a cup of coffee or at the end of their stay.i can also give them a ride when its possible ) But all this happen when the guest is willing to,otherwise i leave them having their own private space .

Bernie41
Level 2
County Cork, Ireland

Hi C, as a relatively new host to Airbnb, I am disappointed to hear you were not greeted by your host. I believe this is an integral part of Airbnb hosting, to greet the guest, introduce them to their room, facilities and local ammenieties available and provide local knowledge of the area, best restaurants, bars and local areas of interest. I hope you have a better experience next time - come visit Ireland !! 

I host, and am often a guest.

As a guest, I don't care if I never meet the host; I'm not there for them, I'm there for something else.  I don't book a listing to meet a host, I book to accomplish a goal in that area.

As a host, I meet the guests that want to be met, if we're even home during their stay.  Since we host a room in our house, sometimes we pass each other and meet, other times they message to say they'd like to meet, and other times their hours are so different from mine that we never cross paths.  Then there are the times that my wife and I are out of town during the entire duration of their say, in which case there's no way to personally meet them.

So to say that every host should meet every guest is unrealistic.  If that's your way, and you acheive that every time, congrats!  But not all of us share that philosophy, or have the means to even if we did.

Bernie I think you have the concept of being an Airbnb host right I myself think that to meet and greet your guests is an important part of the whole Airbnb experience.

There has been a couple of times our guests have had to self check in due to working commitments but we always meet our guests later on and we are sure they appreciate this as the reviews we get reflect this.

Eamon

You should reach out to your host and explain how you feel —that you would like to meet her. She is just probably trying to give you space.  Or maybe she is busy. 

To be completely honest, I have an automated check-in system so I do not see my guests often. They like that. I and my co-host used to meet and greet each one but I work full-time so I do not get the chance to meet everyone. For almost every guest, they prefer it that way.

Catherine185
Level 2
Mont-Tremblant, Canada

When our house is rented out, we often stay at our loft over the garage, if we want to ski ( our house is by a ski resort). We have a keyless entry, so there is no need for us to be there when guests arrive, however one of us will  pop by at some point to say a quick hello and see that everything is OK.  I then take my cues from the guests... some are very friendly, invite me in and ask lots of questions, others leave me standing outside the door while we speak. We want to give our guests privacy and we too want our privacy. We always let guests know they can contact us by text, phone or e-mail anytime before or during their stay. We also tell people to feel free to knock on our loft door if they need anything.

I can see that you might have felt a little abandoned by the owners being right next door and not making contact. I suspect they simply didn't want to intrude.  

Inner the last 2 years I've got experiences in germany, croatia,sri lanka and south africa. Most of the hosts are well prepared for guests and do many things to satisfy them. I always appreaciated a homely feeling. I am a single traveller most of the time. I love to be a welcome guest. 

I am super host by myself and I always give my best to let my guests feel best.