How to be a Superhost

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to be a Superhost

Superhost.jpg

Hello everyone,

If you’re new here, welcome to the Community Center! The Community Center is a place for our global community of hosts to connect and share ideas.

Join this discussion to learn about what it takes to be a Superhost. Superhosts go above and beyond for every guest and often share valuable tips for creating great stays. From thoughtful gestures like leaving chocolates on pillows to welcoming guests with a handwritten note, there are many ways to be an outstanding host.

Do you have a favorite hosting tip? Share what you do to go the extra mile below. Click “Join the Conversation” to participate.

We look forward to hearing your tips!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

256 Replies 256

I have a very simple rule. I treat all of my guests the way I would want to be treated if I stayed in their home. Hospitality and communication are key. Also, I only host a few days a month, not everyday. As I am sharing my home with my guests I realized that I needed downtime for myself and my family. That makes hosting fun. I have met amazing people with amazing stories. I love being an Airbnb superhost......

Alexis

When you have guests how often do you meet them face to face? This is my first stay and I have a little cottage. I have been surprised that the owner is right next door and hasn't introduced herself to me or extended a "live" hospitality. I have been a little suprirsed. It's my first time staying in an Airbnb.

C,

I'm a superhost and I can tell you that even though I try to meet each and every guest face to face when they arrive, it's not always possible.  Sometimes guests must be able to "self checkin" and they don't always meet the host upon first arriving.  I can also tell you that it is a very fine line between being a host that spends times with a guest to one that is overy present and doesn't give their guests enough private space.  Most of the guests would prefer their privacy, so many hosts try to give them plenty of it and that can sometimes make some guests feel a little distant or abandond. As I said, it's a very fine line and it differs for each guest I have.  So while I try to make myself available when needed, I also try to give my guests plenty of privacy and their own space.  It's always a challenge to dance that fine line as a host.  When a guest approaches me I'm happy to chat with them.  Otherwise I may just leave them quietly alone to give them their privacy.  If you'd like to meet your host(s) and know them better, I suggest approaching them for a chat.  You may just find that they were hoping you would and that they would love talking with you!

Good luck to you with all your future travels!

Frank

I'm a Super Host also. As soon as I receive my notice of a new reservation, I immediately reach out via the Air BnB website, to that guest to introduce myself, tell them I will contact them on the morning of their arrival for an ETA, ask them to confirm they have read the 'House Info and House Rules' page and to let them know I am available for any questions or concerns they have prior to their arrival and their stay.  This is my 'Open' to let them know we'll have a 'Meet and Greet'.  During our 'meet and greet' It allows me to meet the Guests and design my 'Welcome Approach' to each person to help them feel comfortable and safe knowing I am there for their comfort and stay.  I leave my info for their immediate access to questions or needs, I then do not disturb them.  

I believe this 'Meet and Greet' has helped me to approach my Superhost status more quickly than had I not. My 'Meet and Greet' is usually about  5 minutes, unless they ask questions. I immediately show them their first concerns... Wifi info, How to work the TV, Thermostat, Information Book and I subtlely slip in the reminders of the house rules and my contact info. Just before I leave I ask them if they need any restaurant recommendations since they may be hungry from their travels. 

I have had the BEST luck having wonderful guests. I believe due to our face to face exchange.

I totally agreed with @Frank487.

I feel most guests want privacy and that you are there when they need you. If you are a likable person they will be more patient if you talk too much to them. I really enjoyed having visitors and I really live 99.9 so I have to control myself not to be too friendly and too chatty.  and leave the house sometimes so they enjoyed time alone. It’a not a 50 5@ relationship. The host is supposed to be there only when they need you. In my opinion. 

I totally agree! I am a new superhost and I started my AirBnB in the middle of June. I am a talkative, open person (flight attendant) and I had several very open and easy guests. They were very easy to talk to and it was very comfortable. ( I stay at my boyfriend's house when guests are at my house.) Then I got a very short inquiry from a guy who wanted my house for a week over July 4th.  I asked if he had friends in town to visit, but he told me that  he just needed some alone time. Then I asked if he wanted me to meet him to show him around and his answer was, " No, I will let myself in." It was so hard for me, because all his written answers were very short and sharp! I thought he might be depressed, or sad. But my boyfirend told me just to leave him alone and I did. Never heard from him all week. I had visions of him being upset and tearing up my house! He didn't! He really just wanted, and got his alone time! And he gave me 5 stars??? Ugh. That was my hardest rental! Now, I try to feel everyone out as to whether they want my help, or rather just have their space! It's getting easier!

Lol. I can empathize with you and your visions. LOL 😂 

I travel for work a lot and use airbnb almost exclusively. To be honest, I prefer limited engagement with hosts. I dont mind when folks are kind but there are some folks who are overwhelming after a month of constant travel. I worry that I come off as rude and in reality I just need some down time and it is hard to ask people for space when you are literally in their space!
It would be nice if Airbnb offered traveler preferences that can be altered depending on the type of trip. When Im on vacation sometimes I love meeting the hosts and learning more. That might take some of the mystery out for traveler and host alike. 

Wish rideshares would do that too... can't i just have a button that says I prefer not to talk about your business ideas????

Like Uber came out with something like that. I think that airbnb should rate not only communication value and cleanliness but personality. Someone with a good personality will be “ just right” . And most importantly will detect quickly when is not needed. I feel that although most guest want privacy during their stay. They do appreciate you taking of your personal time to make the checking quicker snd simpler. Instead of them reading the checking instructions. 

@Tim600   I don't think there's anything wrong with telling a host exactly what you've said here- that you don't want to come across as rude or unfriendly and you really appreciate their care and attention, but you're just really burnt out and need some down time. I know I'd appreciate it if a guest expressed that. Sometimes it's hard to know if a person just needs alone time, or if there's something about you that they don't feel comfortable with, or if they're just socially inept. I'd rather someone told me, rather than have to wonder. 

One of my daughters is quite a moody person. She'll just give one word answers, ignore everyone, and seem like she's mad at people, when in fact, she's just in a bad mood, nothing personal. If she'd just say "Hey, I'm in a really bad space right now, I don't feel like conversing" , which she doesn't, it would be so much easier on everyone, instead of thinking you've done something to upset her.

Nice 🙂

Hello Frank, I'm not a superhost yet but I've been preapproved to earn the badge on the next go around so I guess I'm  doing something right. The thing is, I dont even have to try hard to do what I do. I have a full time job and this is just a side gig for me but never have I imagined I would love hosting  this much. Maybe it's life's lessons or my religious customs but nothing give me greater joy than to see others happy and at peace and if I can contribute to that happiness, then that's a reward in itself. That being said, If I could give your post multi thumbs up, I would. You've expressed my exact thoughts. Being that I am new at this, it feels good to know it's normal to feel the way I do regarding the issue of "the thin line." I too have self check in and I always let my guests know to call me for whatever they need. I am a natural nuturer but I am very much cognizance of cultural diversity and that not everyone is as sociable as I am. Furthermore, there are people out there who are simply seeking refuge for peace, rest and alone time and the last thing they need is an overbearing host. It is also true that there are guests looking to get away or a fun time and meeting others and would love it if they'd get more input from their hosts, the thing is, hosts are not mind readers so some of us mostly go off vibes we feel upon meeting our guests. who knows, maybe that's one of the reasons AirBNB hosts experiences. We'll know then without the shadow of a doubt that guest are expecting to be entertained. However, if I live next door, I would definitely introduce myself, otherwise, how else would pick up on the vibes? lol.  In my case I live a lil distance from my rental property but If I am on the property when my guests arrive, I can generally feel the vibes when I introduce myself. It feels very good meeting, but like you said, it's not always possible. So far I have been lucky to meet some of the kindess/sweetest guests ever, but I am also cognizance of the fact that there may be a day when I may meet an exception....

Well, I pray not ever and that the ones I meet will be a mirror of what I portray. Ok, I feel myself getting overbearing now. I just happen to like your post a lot. 

So far i've been able to meet every guest face to face and welcome them.  I'm sure that it will happen occasionally but I would for sure send them a message telling them that I will be unable to do so.

You will find all kinds of hosts.  I have traveled through Airbnb, and I have had all kinds of hosts.  I particularly like to have my privacy and not feel that the host is watching me all the time.  I have socialized with some people and not with others.  Was you communication fluid before the stay?  At this time I have a self check in in one of my listings so I never have the chance to meet my guests.  My co-hosts or my cleaning lady does.  Just don't take it personal.  If you need help or information, just reach out; I am sure they will be happy to help you.

Maybe someone else can help me... I see that there are people called super host... Does that mean that they stay on the property on site?