How to be a Superhost

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to be a Superhost

Superhost.jpg

Hello everyone,

If you’re new here, welcome to the Community Center! The Community Center is a place for our global community of hosts to connect and share ideas.

Join this discussion to learn about what it takes to be a Superhost. Superhosts go above and beyond for every guest and often share valuable tips for creating great stays. From thoughtful gestures like leaving chocolates on pillows to welcoming guests with a handwritten note, there are many ways to be an outstanding host.

Do you have a favorite hosting tip? Share what you do to go the extra mile below. Click “Join the Conversation” to participate.

We look forward to hearing your tips!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

256 Replies 256

@Rachel0 wrote:

If you rent an entire home it should mean that the host ( super host or otherwise) is not living on the property.  However, please make sure that you read every word of the listing and check that there are no shared spaces.  If in doubt, ask that question when you are preparing to make the reservation.  

Sorry Rachel, your name wasn't in the tagging box. 

That's a little misleading, I think. Something can be listed as an entire home, but the host lives on the property in another dwelling. I think you can even list as entire home if it's a completely self-contained unit where the owner might live upstairs or in the other side of a duplex. But there shouldn't be any shared spaces if listed as entire home. I'm open to correction if I've got it wrong.

Dawn211
Level 3
White Plains, NY

Hello everyone....

I treat my guest the way i want to be treated....even the difficult ones...everyone is special ...so they all get the same king and queen teratment

I make their space beautiful....tell them how to get around....sometimes offer them a special meal.....tell them have a bless day or a safe journey home...anyone i invite in my home is family so i treate them like family God ...says love my neighbor as i love myself.....

@Dawn0

That is beautiful, my philosophy exactly.  Blessings!

Joe545
Level 2
Parma, OH

i'm relatively new and well on my way to a superhost (fingers crossed). do you current superhosts find genuine benefits with that designation? does it actually translate into more bookings/higher rates? i ask because i wouldn't want to price myself out of a customer, or be too expensive because i have a "humble" place. make sense?

Linh59
Level 2
Da Nang, Vietnam

Hi, my name is Linh.

I have just become a host about 6 months. If you don't mind, I have a question. Our listing did not show up on airbnb search even though it was public. So I think very few guests can see and book room. I asked for airbnb but they just said it was public and the guests could find. I see many listings like us, but they still appear when I search for places. Please answer me if possible.

Thank you so much

King, can you post a link to your listing here? Did you make sure when you were searching that you were searching for dates that you have marked “available” on your calendar? Try searching with very precise parametrs (exact number of bedrooms, beds, other amenities). If you post a link I will see if I can find it. 

Patricia1512
Level 2
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Sorry, I spelled your name correctly, Linh. My phone changed it to King!

Dear Patracia,

Thank you so much for your respond. It's really useful for me. This is link of our listing. Name of our listing is: HYATT REGENCY *OCEANVIEW* 2 BEDROOMS APARTMENT.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22618156?preview_for_ml

When I search on Airbnb for name place: Hyatt regency resort, Danang, Vietnam. It just show up 68 listing, don'have my listing. I tried to type all such as: date, pricing,... But it doesn't show up. If you have any tips, please share with me if you don't mind. 

Thank you so much for your support. 

P/s: You can spelI my name like you speak English, maybe you can say "Link" is also correct.  I'm not a King,  I'm just Link 😁

Krystal46
Level 2
Lee's Summit, MO

Hello! New to Airbnb. We bought a property that is a very successful Airbnb. Trying to get bookings of our own. We have our price listed at half of what she does with 20%discount and can't get our first customer.  We have professional photography so that's not an issue. Any suggestions to get the ball rolling? Thank you!

Alia18
Level 3
Kailua-Kona, HI

I am in my Hawaii house.  The street is very canyon like, and a home four doors down and then five doors across... we can hear every word they say, their kids playing loudly.  

The walls have no insulation. We have jealousy windows. That are cranked and rectangular pieces of glass and/ or plastic. 

So sound could be a big factor.  Also a band of wild Turkeys that gobble around the neighborhood.  Like pets. My other listing has coqui frogs and roostets!

The big Island can be very noisy!

Dennis-and-Mireya0
Level 2
Anton Valley, Panama

We like to meet all our clients face-to-face to show them we care about their stay and safety.  When we all our rooms are full we aill also have a little social evening get together.  Some clients want their privacy and this is okay and we recognize this and give it to them.

HI all

Camille207
Level 2
Tulsa, OK

As I Superhost I have done a few extras that have been really appreciated. One of the things I do for each guest is write a handwritten welcome note. It takes less than a minute but adds a personal touch to welcoming guests especially when I can not be there. 

I host in our home so I can try to ask when guests would like coffee (and set the timer on the coffee pot) and am open to answering questions and offering help throughout their stay. 

Most of all the number 1 tip I have is be hospitable and kind. Being kind and connection are keys that have found most guests enjoy. Some come and do not want to interact, but very few. 

Olga464
Level 10
Kyiv, Ukraine

I have Gestapo style of hosting. I always frighten my guests with police right away and make them sign long contract of what's forbidden to do inside the house. I mean, A REAL SIGNATURE ON THE PAPER at the moment of arrival.

And I am a superhost. Most of my guests are a hell of affraid of me. And I am happy with my style. It works in 99% scenarios. There were only two dudes I gave to police last year. They risked and  tried my boundaries.  the first one was so naive. He asked what will i do if he invites a girl over. I told him "I will give you to the police". Taking to account that our house is consisting of police neighbours on 70%. He answered "Ha-ha". And he brought a girl. And both ended up their night in police department. The second one was a horror writer (was my mistake to take him), he didn't wanna pay for the dirty carpet he left. I locked him in the apartment ( i have 3 different locks, the guest is getting only 1 key) and started to call to the police describing to the guest how he will loose 1 week of his life in local prison now and miss all his tickets for the next months. He gave me money for dry cleaning of the entire apartment right away and was running away from the house as crazy. Other guests were very ok and honored with my good review.

I agreed with everything but the part of locking your guest! I would just let him go and contact Airbnb! Airbnb policies, regulations and insurance are there to protect the Host as well as the Guest!