How to cancel a booking, when my rental may not be suitable for what they're looking for..

Willa0
Level 1
San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico

How to cancel a booking, when my rental may not be suitable for what they're looking for..

Hi there!

I need some advice please. Here's the long story, short.  A couple recently made a booking for a suite I have listed here. Unfortuneatly, I saw this email from them about what they're looking for in a rental only AFTER they'd made the booking -- which is in about a weeks' time. I don't feel my suite fits what they're looking for. How can I "un-book" them on Air BnB?

I'd appreciate any help with this as I don't wish to inconvenience these folks and want to allow them to get on with booking another listing.

Thanks, Willa

"Hi Carlos,

I only saw this email from you late last night with your questions.

"we have two last questions before we book it, is there a kitchen that would be accessible to us? we will be cooking quite a bit, and last, is the internet fast? I am a web developer also and will be working on a few projects while down there. Thank you again, we are definitely interested in booking here."

I have to apologize Carlos because had I seen your email before you'd made the booking I would have advised that the garden suite is likely not suitable for what you're looking for.

The kitchenette area is pretty basic-- its for guests to make a light breakfast or to heat up restaurant leftovers, its not really equipped for doing much in the way of cooking. For example there is no stove, only a hotplate, the taps of the kitchen sink provide only cold water (which can be heated in the microwave or on the hotplate, but still..) and there is only the minimum in terms of kitchen utensils and pots and pans.

Also, our internet connection is basic and not very fast. Although we've been trying to get it improved, its a bit of a challenge where we are located in Mexico, due to the buildings being concrete and the efficiency of the service providers here.

You see, usually these two issues are not a problem for our guests, since they're tourists who eat out quite frequently and who use the internet on a casual basis. But given that these issues are a priority for you, I really feel we should look into how Air BnB can cancel this booking and then hopefully you can find something that'll suit your needs more.

Wishing you all the best, sincerely, Willa"

1 Reply 1
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

So, your guests made a reservation request and you accepted, right? Then, after the reservation was accepted, your guests started asking questions (which they should have made in an inquiry before booking) after you accepted their reservation, correct? And, you have a strict cancellation policy.  Ouch! There is no way to un-do a confirmed reservation.  And, you don't want to cancel the reservation as Airbnb will penalize you.  Seems to me that the ball is in the guest's court to decide whether or not to cancel.  If you really feel that your strict cancellation policy should be overridden for these guests, read this:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/165/how-do-i-refund-my-guest

If you are not going to abide by your strict cancellation policy, I strongly suggest that you change it to a more moderate/flexible policy. 

Hope this helps!