How to deal with City/Borough Council to change ordinances and get Airbnb approved?

Leen0
Level 2
Bergenfield, NJ

How to deal with City/Borough Council to change ordinances and get Airbnb approved?

I was just requested by my zoning department to shut down my Airbnb listing based on an ordinance that does not allow the rental or rooms or additional dwellings.

Does Airbnb offer local help to present to the city council to have the regulations changed to accept Airbnb?  Is there a website to help draft a letter to the council with all the advantages, safety measures, etc.?

The complaint came from a community advocate, not a neighbor.  I am super selective and strict and all my guests have been excellent and discreet.  Thanks for the advice!

3 Replies 3

Hi Leen,

There are 3 of us who have received letters noting our violation of local zoning. The only term they have for short term rentals (STR) is a "rooming house." The planning commissioners were very sympathetic to our request and told us it's on us to convince the zoning board to update the code. I've done tons of research on the safety and benefits of STRs on the Airbnb platform, but can't afford a lawyer. I've already paid $500 for a zoning variance only to be told that the township can't just grant variances on an individual basis for everyone who wants to be an Airbnb host. 

This is the definition of a Catch-22!

Is there a human at Airbnb that I could speak to????

Kathryn in York, PA

Sandy184
Level 2
Herriman, UT

Hello

I just received a violation notice of a city ordinance and they want for me to sut it down by July 3rd. I am booked though September with another actually booking next year. In my city, it is understood that there is an ordinance but they don't enforce it. There was even a local news story about STRs. They interviewed a host or two and the conclusion was they don't enforce it. I guess someone complained on mine. I still don't know yet because I have been trying to figure out what to do.  I can't imagine cancelling all of my reservations. That would be a disaster to many of my guests. 

So, I am in the same boat guys. 

Sandy in SLC, Ut

Pete3103
Level 1
East Peoria, IL

Same as me. Did anyone ever get any answers?