How to deal with dates that you might use for yourself

How to deal with dates that you might use for yourself

If I might use my own home for Christmas but I am not sure yet, is it best to block out the dates till I know, then unblock if I will not be using it? Is there any way to put "ask first for availability" on certain dates?

3 Replies 3
Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

It all depends if you you use Instant Booking or not.  If not you can always leave it open and then decline. Though I would advise to block it.  

For me, I have a condo in a large developement so I typically leave my calendar open if I'm uncertain to lock in the income. If I end up planning to go on a date there is a conflict I just reach out other owners and rent a different unit. 

Andrew

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Robyn34 I would highly recommend that you block the December dates until you are sure you can accommodate guests.  It's really unfair to people making travel plans to accept a reservation and then cancel it.  There is no free pass for avoiding cancellation penalties, whether you have Instant Book or not, just because you change your mind about hosting over the holidays.  

Please be a considerate host and keep your calendar updated accordingly!

All the best, Clare

Oh I agree, I would not agree to a reservation then cancel it. Though I know I take the risk of not renting it, I will just keep it blocked out till I know for sure we won't be using it for ourselves.

Thanks for your reply.