How to deal with guests who want to cancel because of air quality due to wildfires?

Answered!
Adeline60
Level 4
Sacramento, CA

How to deal with guests who want to cancel because of air quality due to wildfires?

I have an AirBnb next to Yosemite National Park, and wildfires impact the air quality as well as the park experience.

I have several guests writing to me expecting a cancellation with full refund. Thing is, it's not my fault if there is a fire, which is a very frequent occurrence at this season in the Sierra Nevada. 

Any hosts had similar experiences?

If so, I would love to know how you deal with such requests.

1 Best Answer

I let my guests cancel just this morning with a full refund. Feels like the right thing to do on account of the air quality. 

View Best Answer in original post

46 Replies 46
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

If they are hell-bend to cancel and get full refund, they will have to contact Airbnb, so best to send them all to >>> Airbnb. Ultimately, it is Airbnb that will have to determine if cancellation is warranted anyway, so save your time.

Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Adeline60,

If you already know this a recurrent situation, you could have warned your potential guests before booking.

The same happens when there is some construction work being done close by, definitely not your fault, but it is your responsability to let your guests know about it in order for them to make their own mind.

When I warned them about the possibility of fires, some answered "we know about the fires, why are you patronizing me?" so I'm not sure what to do. People know there are fires, book anyways, and then expect a last minute full refund. 

I don't think an hotel, an airline or a rental car company would make a refund because of air quality issues.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Adeline60

The guest who reply "we know about the fires, why are you patronizing me?" are probably the ones who want to cancel ? Be aware of trouble when people reply like this....

@Adeline60 @Emiel1 I think this is sound advice. Rude people are usually the same ones, who complain and demand refunds for various things. 

Of course they are. I can definitely tell there is a pattern with such guests.

Eileen12
Level 3
Grass Valley, CA

Isn’t there an “act of God” clause? Same thing happens to me during the winter with weather and road conditions. I definitely put a disclaimer that I am not responsible. The guest is taking that chance when they book. I have not had any issues. 

I definitely agree with you, and there are some disaster clauses in AirBnb, but here the thing is the main access road is open, Yosemite National Park is open, it's "just" that the air quality can get very bad from time to time.

Guests who book a stay in the Sierra during the summer know that wildfires happen. It's right in the middle of the fire season, and yet people want to hold us accountable for this somehow.

As I clean my yard of debris from this winter's storms I think and feel for your situation.  I only rent one room so it is totally different if you host a whole house.  Some guests came, some didn't.  All used my flexible refund policy.  But I will say I was surprised how quickly I filled in the vacancies.  People have to travel so they continue to look for homes to spend the night.  Whole homes are a totally different situation.  Vacations generally.  I probably book 80% of the cancelled reservations with new reservations.  This was all from smoke impact, not immediate fire danger.  Wishing us all luck this fire season.

I'll ask them to deal with AirBnb. Thanks!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

We had a fairly large Forest fire but 20 miles or so south. Friends who are a lot nearer said it was a net break even as the ones who cancelled were replaced with the ones displaced or fighting the fire.

What would happen if they contact ABB? I would expect they will get a full refund.

The wind generally blew the other way but we did have a couple of mornings when you could smell it, but sometimes the same can be said for the mega fires in other States.

David
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

It's not your fault, also not their fault. Airbnb is lacking a buit-in trip insurance mechanism.

Agreed, and I suggested one guest to have a trip insurance, but he didn't take it positively.

Adeline60
Level 4
Sacramento, CA

Thanks for all your anwsers. I'll definitely ask the guests to contact AirBnb. Another option would be to ask them to book my AirBnb at a later date, and then I'd provide a refund for the stay they want to cancel.