How to encourage guests to leave kitchen and bathroom clean?

James519
Level 1
North Bergen, NJ

How to encourage guests to leave kitchen and bathroom clean?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running a hostel type setup with as many as 8 guests at a time so on an everyday basis I have to have someone come in and clean the dishes and bathroom because it's always a mess. I understand very well that it's not the guests responsibilty to clean the apartment but just to clean after themselves. I have a mix of long-term and short-term guests with some staying as long as 3-6 months at a time.

Even with house rules, constant discussion, and signs in the bathroom and kitchen they still manage to leave a mess which is hurting my reviews for short term guests.

Has anyone figured out a way to properly build the culture or any incentive/penalty so people clean up after themselves?

Many thanks in advance 🙂

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@James519

You should expect the mimimum amount of cleaning and then build inti your average nightly priicing a cleaning fee that covers the best and worst situatiions. 

Cleanliness of the property for youe nrxt guesr iis your responsiiibility - not thr previious guest

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

@ Gerry aand Rashid,

I think she means cleaning your dishes and messes in kitchen and messes in bathroom like making sure tub is clean and toilet clean after using. That is common courtesy and should be expected of guests. 

I would put it in my house rules and if they do not follow it I would report to airbnb then the slobs would not be able to review. I would also note that they may be better suited to a hotel next trip. 

Also supply lots of nice cleaning supply, rags , sponges, brushes. For my bathtub I use Oxyclean between guests- as tub is filling with hot water add 3 or 4 scoops, let it sit a bit, then start draining and rinse tub, it will be clean and shiny! Put cute signs saying leave the room as you found it.