How to file Hotel Occupancy Taxes in Nashville

Jonathan117
Level 4
Nashville, TN

How to file Hotel Occupancy Taxes in Nashville

Hello Nashville AirBnb Hosts!

Here are the steps needed for getting through the tax collection/payment process for Metro Nashville. Note that this is for Hotel Occupancy Tax only (6% plus $2.50/night). It does not cover the sales tax collection/payment process.  

1. Apply for a Hotel Occupancy Privilege Tax Account Number here. They will email you the number. (one-time only)
  2. Download the Hotel Occupancy Form [pdf]. 
  3. Download this handy Hotel Occupancy Tax calculator I created in Excel you can use to help you calculate the figures and complete the form. Simply enter some figures (gross receipts, number of guest nights, e.g.) and it will tell you what to enter on each line on the form. It even calculates penalties if you wind up filing late. Download it here
  4. Complete the Hotel Occupancy Form. Use the account number you got in step 1 when filing. You can use the "text tool" in Acrobat Reader to enter the figures online (rather than print it out and hand-write them in). Save a copy so you can simply update the form next month (rather than complete it every time).
  5. [OPTIONAL] If you want to pay by credit card (rather than check), download, print out and complete the Credit Card Authorization Form. You'll pay a 2.3% fee for doing this.
  6. Print out, sign and mail in the form along with payment (or completed CC auth form) by the 20th of the following month, otherwise you will also need to pay penalties.

I had a conversation with a rep from the Metro (Nashville) Collections this week. He mentioned that the city has plans to implement a system for filing and paying these taxes online. I won't hold my breath, but it's good to know they're working on improving the process.

If anyone has a handy reference for filing state taxes, please LMK.

HTH!

Jonathan

References: http://www.nashville.gov/Finance/Office-of-the-Treasurer/Collections/Hotel-Occupancy-Privilege-Tax.a...

30 Replies 30

Reviving an old thread. I just spoke to Dept of Revenue-Sales Tax. I was told that since Airbnb collects and remits the sales tax on Hosts's behalf, the Sales And Use Tax return should be filed as a zero return (no sales) if we keep the SLC account open. I can also close the account if I book only thru Airbnb (for Nashville) and don't foresee any direct bookings from my website and such. 

Can anyone here confirm this is correct? I was under the assumption that we still had to file a monthly return and report the sales.