How to find a bargain for your listing?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to find a bargain for your listing?

Bargain

Hello everyone,

A few months ago, @Huma0 created a fantastic topic called Before and after pics, here in the Community Center. This topic developed into a great discussion around wonderful tranformations you have achieved in your listings. One of the things Huma mentioned is how much she likes to look out for bargains and then bring them home and give them a spruce up or a new lease of life! 🙂

I have done a similar thing with an old pine chest of drawers I was given. I sanded it down and gave it a few coasts of paint in a pale greeny/grey colour and then sanded it briefly again to give it a more rustic feel. I then ordered some nice colourful ceramic handles for only a few pounds and attached them, it looks great and cost barely anything. 

This got me thinking, do you look out for bargains for things to place in your listing and if so, what type of things have you found? Do you normally have to do much work to them, to get the items to how you want them?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

22 Replies 22

20449335_10207690516941128_1267446422096998911_o.jpg

This is what happens everytime I empty a bottle of wine at home 🙂

Best part: You don't have to water them everyday 😉

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw @Jeet0, it is so nice to hear from you. I hope you are well. 🙂

This makes a very elegant display, especially with that impressive backdrop! I also like your thinking here with the bottles! hehe

Do you buy the plants to go in them or do you use clippings from other plants you have?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hey @Lizzie, I've been well, how are you 😄

I'm glad you liked my DIY arrangement.

The peace lily and the purple one I had bought while the others are clippings 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm well thank you @Jeet0, I just can't get over that we are in November already, life moves so quickly! 🙂

Well, I think your clippings look very happy there. Do you expect they will outgrow their wine bottles? 

--------------------

@Jeet0 I should give this a try!

@Jeet0

That is goegeous! Love the idea 

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

My kids say one of my talents is making cheap things look expensive.  Finding that diamond in the rough.  I try never to shop for something I have to get immediately.  Instead keep my eye and mind open for things that are a fraction of the original price but others failed to see the potential.  Bought a bunch of outdoor furniture cushions that normally sell for $30/each for $3/each.  I am not sure that is something you can teach except the part of don't shop for something you have to have.  It is like when they say don't go grocery shopping when you are starving.  

I never shop at garage sales or thrift stores.  Because of the huge problem with lice/bed bugs these days. A friend of mine bought a nice basket at a garage sale and later ended up with termites in her house. Luckily she caught it relatively quickly. Also know people who bought clothes at thrift stores and ended up with lice.

Also, splurge a little for quality.  I recently bought 5 star hotel quality robes for my guests which normally would run $130 for $30.  They are overruns but my guests don't mind that they have a 5 star hotel logo on them. -- If you want some, check out monarch cypress online in the clearance section.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is a very good skill to have @Allison116. 🙂

I agree about avoiding shopping when you have to buy that certain something, I regularly do it and it is more often or not takes longer than planned. hehe. 

When you find your "bargins" do you usually have to alter them at all to get them the way you ideally want them?

--------------------

I generally don't alter anything. Just wait and buy very selectively.  I was trying to attach a picture here but could not get it to work.  In my listing the picture of patio seating, the teal and white outdoor pillows cost me just $2.35 each after discounts and regular price they were $29.95.  It also helps to buy "off season" -- buy outdoor products at the end of summer is much cheaper than buying in Spring.  

woow that is a great tip. Finding how to reuse stuffs. 

Thank you so much for the tip, hopefully I can make something like that for my new house in Tokyo.

If you have a moment please take a look 🙂

N-House 6BR/Sta 2min/FreeWifi/Shinjuku in 15min: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21581868

Mirtha 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Yes, I agree with you there on buying things at the end of a season @Allison116, it is incredible how much some items are reduced by. I think one of my best bargins, not really house related, was a tent which I got at the end of the summer last year.  It is still going strong! 🙂

Sorry to hear you had trouble uploading a photo to your post, if you click on the little camera icon on your post tool bar and then click 'Choose File' you should be able to select the photo you want from your computer. Please can you try this again, as I would love to see your outdoor pillows, second time lucky! 

--------------------

Hi @Lizzie, when I try to upload a photo and click on the camera icon I get a popup window that asks for Source, Image Description and Path.  I don't get the "choose file" option you mention. I am using a Mac, so not sure if that matters.

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I agree with Allison - don't wait until you NEED something, sure fire way to overpay!  

I don't mind thrift stores or garage sales, but I don't usually have time to estate/garage sale most days... but I've gotten some fabulous items there.  But I cruise the Buy/Sell/Trade pages and Craigslist almost daily.  I look for one of a kind item when possible, and I like an eclectic mix.  I'm in the process of planning a room redo - hoping to add another room to my listing.  It won't be until next summer when my youngest moves out for college so I have time to plan, search, and redo if necessary.  

I often will leave my finds as they are, or redo.   I'm not as dedicated or as talented as Huma, but maybe someday!  Usually simple redos, recover seats, a fresh coat of paint etc.  I've a short attention span!  

One tip for money saving - for those of us who live near the US/Canadian border - cross over!  The exchange rate isn't quite as favorable for American's at the moment, but it still adds up.  And for old items, no duty at the border!  I get a lot of great antique sewing machines in Canada.  

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

My Dad and Mom brought the place from the past into today as you can read in our review and is going to keep growing our guest that's been there if they do come again they will see how the past can be beautiful and more my Dad and Mom tells me enjoy life do what you can be good at stay tuned for the new picture its My Mom and Dad Work