How to fix problems with the Airbnb mobile phone app

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

How to fix problems with the Airbnb mobile phone app

Both here and in support groups there are many posts about problems resulting from the use of a mobile phone app.

These problems are not restricted to Airbnb, they are general issues. 

In most instances with Airbnb though, the complaint will be.......

'I can't complete my booking, I get to a certain point and can't proceed any further!'

'I am not receiving notifications on my phone'

'I am receiving emails but my messages are not coming through on my phone' 

'I can't accept a booking request'

These are just a few that crop up multiple times every day. It is to the point where those in advice roles have a generic template that they post as each of these questions come along.

The reason behind your internet has stopped or any other App which experiences such a glitch is data crash. A data crash is not a serious problem and only means a situation wherein an App, OS or a software stops working normally and exits abruptly. This may happen due to various reasons such as unstable internet connection, both cellular, and WiFi. Another reason for Apps to stop working could be corrupted Cache files which have not been cleared in a long time.

Many users experience a problem through incomplete or improper installation and this may cause the App to crash and stop working suddenly.

Here are a few things that may get your communication back on track.

1/. Clear your cache. It is easy to do and will not harm your phone or your programs! It simply forces the phone to recover the information from the internet rather than from your stored data.

For iPhone users here is a link to clear your cache.....

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201265

For Android users here is a link to clear your cache.....

https://www.technobezz.com/what-is-cached-data-clear-app/

Just a note: once you clear your cache you will find your pages will be slow to load but this is temporary as the phone has to build up a 'memory' again.

2/. Apps are being updated all the time as new information and techniques come along. It is wise to un-install and re-intsall your phone app from time to time. Remember your information is stored remotely and you will not loose anything by un-intsalling. Just remember before you do to close all open pages.

Although there are many internet sites that will provide phone apps, I suggest you use this link which is the Airbnb app  site.

It provides the app for both iPhone and Android and will give you the latest version of each and deliver best results.

https://www.airbnb.com/mobile

With more and more use of smart phones this is an ever increasing issue and I hope this article can help users.

Have a great Christmas all and I am looking forward to having a story or two on the 19th!

Cheers.....Rob

10 Replies 10
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

Welcome back Rob - I have missed your ever insightful posts and diplomatic words over the past few weeks. I hope all is well with you and your wife

Gillian

Caroline530
Level 1
York, United Kingdom

When I search for my property on my mobile my listing does not appear, yet it appears when I search on my computer.  Is there a reason why it doesnt show up on the phone?  Many thanks

Judi40
Level 2
Port Macquarie, Australia

Hi

having a lot of problems with the app and only the Air BnB app on iPad mini. Have tried troubleshooting but it still crashes. Have reloaded it 3 times. Updated software etc. can anyone suggest a solution?

regards

judi

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Judi40

Are you clearing your cache as well Judi? 

If you leave parts of the app on your iPad, or traces of where you have been, the circuitry will use that rather than downloading afresh.

It is not going to help you to simply reload the app, you first of all have to 'un-install' what you already have. Computers are like humans, they get lazy...well when they get to my age they do, and it is almost certain that there is a corrupted file in your cache which allows your app program to get to a certain point where it will stop working because it confuses the app.

When you log on through a desktop are your pages displaying reliably and correctly?

Sometimes if you cannot succesfully solve your issue it is wise to rest your device before reloading but, (and this may not be applicable to an iPad/iPhone, as I don't use Apple, I only use PC/Android)  if you do resort to re-setting, make sure you have no storage cards or drives connected, as resetting can re-format the storage card resulting in a loss of stored data!

I hope this is of help to you Judi.

Cheers......Rob

Judi40
Level 2
Port Macquarie, Australia

I have done what you suggested but it still won't work. I've been using Airbnb for years on this iPad with no problems until the latest update. Mmmm? Judi.

That may work what he’s suggesting for others… But this is a known problem that goes back quite a ways with Airbnb.  Just Google it.  Airbnb just acts like it’s not an issue that they know about. Seriously I called them and they acted like no one had ever complained about this! LOL I just said Google it.   It cannot be a cache  issue since I am on a brand new phone!.   I happen to be in the process of getting a new phone and had to go through a couple. This app did the same error loading the calendar on a 6S iPhone, a seven iPhone, and an iPhone X… Oh and my iPad! This is an Airbnb issue and they need to address it it’s actually very very irritating and annoying as a host to not be able to see your bookings without turning your phone On and off all the time!… If you shut your system your phone down… Turn it back on… It’ll work but you have to do that a few times every day if you want to see your Airbnb calendar! No excuse this is not fixed

Justin499
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

I found the solution to this finally (for me at least)z. It seemed to revolve around having different Facebook logins in the past.  The mobile app was trying to link to a Facebook account email no longer used and the mobile app forces the login.  When using the desktop site, it linked to the appropriate Facebook email.  

Solution:

1. log out of the mobile app.

2. Clear your browser cache.  

3. Contact customer support and tell them to deactivate the WRONG email for the reason explained above.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us/channel

4. Once they confirm this is done, redone load the mobile app.

5. Login with the approprIate email. 

I hope this helps!

Robert-And-Diane1
Level 1
Huntington Beach, CA

Recently I am not receiving any text notifications from Airbnb on my iPhone. This just started recently. I deleted the mobile app on my phone and re-installed it. Still am not able to receive any text notifications. I get email notifications of booking requests, etc but I am not checking me email all the time. Support has been no help. Any suggestions?

Norma_Keith0
Level 2
Tofino, Canada

I finally figured out my app issues myself after contacting Airbnb for over a week... I was not getting any notifications on my phone... I unload then reload the app... still nothing... Today I reset my password...

Finally opened up and let me in...  Airbnb  finally did send a message and asked me to verify my phone with a text message....   ***  All good to go  now !!!

Kerry431
Level 1
Winnipeg, Canada

Could scream...tried to book accommodations , sent drivers license pics easy...then it wanted a personal photo and said would send link.  after dozens of attempts the link does not go to my phone number. I sat on line for 18 hours waiting for help. Nothing...terrible service. Can anyone tell me why their text with the link won't come to me ?