How to get Airbnb to reconsider how Accuracy rating is handled?

Brian658
Level 2
Pāhoa, HI

How to get Airbnb to reconsider how Accuracy rating is handled?

I know I'm not alone. I just got dinged by a guest on Accuracy for not having WiFi even though my listing accurately states that I do not offer WiFi. I know this kind of thing happens a lot where guests who don't read the listing cause the needless lowering of your score. So how do we get through to Airbnb that the system is flawed and more importantly how do we get them to actually fix the system?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Well, @Brian658, that's the million dollar question that hosts on this forum have been asking endlessly. If you figure it out, please let us know.

As far as your specific problem, most people these days expect to be "connected". Even if you are clear in your description, they don't read, they assume. Each host has different problems with guest comprehension, and some the same, depending on the listing. In my case, I need to make sure that guests understand  that while I do have an internet connection, it's metered and limited, not suitable for those who need to work online, or want to stream movies, etc, but fine for checking their email and surfing the net a bit. I also need to make sure they are clear that altho I'm in a beach town, I live in the countryside and it's a 20 minute walk into town and the beach.

So what you can do is, when you get an Inquiry, or a booking request, message the guest with a greeting and ask them if they thoroughly read through your listing, and are aware that there is NO WIFI AT ALL available. Make sure they acknowledge and agree before accepting their booking. If there's a cafe or somewhere where they can get Wifi down the road, make sure you mention that.

Thank you! This is really helpful, I will start sending a greeting as you've described.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brian658  Glad to help. Hosts also can turn what might be thought of as negatives into positives by marketing towards those kinds of guest who will be fine with what you have to offer. "Disconnect and relax! Getting away for a quiet vacation from your 9-5 working on a computer all day? We have NO WIFI, none at all. You'll be able to read those books you've been trying to get around to, enjoy the beach, walk the beautiful local trails, and enjoy a break from the digital world. ( There is a nice cafe 10 minutes away where you can hook up to Wifi if you really need it)"

A couple of my guests have told me they really appreciated the fact that internet access at my place was limited (and no one has complained)- that it's so addictive, checking their facebook messages and so on, and they really waste so much of their time doing it, that it was nice to basically be forced to take a break from it.

I love this idea! We actually used that tactic with our set-up because we're on a small farm with horses near the house. Instead of apologizing for the farm smells and sounds we advertised them as charming aspects and even decorated with a horsey theme, so your idea fits right in.