How to get money out of a host...

Randy-Zuke0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

How to get money out of a host...

This is the best—a guest claims they got pink eye from their one night stay—they are asking for a full refund. This was a guest who arrived with a party of people. Now, the question is—how to avoid a bad review?

16 Replies 16
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

If small $$ then not sure fight is worth it ?

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Randy-Zuke0, my first instinct is that whether you give a refund or not, the person will leave a bad review.  

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

"Guest introduced an infectious agent onto the property"

(Just a fantastical review. You don't want prospective guests to know about this.)

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Randy-Zuke0 Surely you know that 'pink eye' isn't something you get from someone's property - it is an infection or allergy.

They could have picked it up anywhere.

The question actually is 'Why are you even entertaining this daft claim?'

Say to your guest you are sad to hear they developed pink eye in the lead up to or during their stay in your area. That as it is an infection or allergy you are confused as to why they are specifically claiming your listing as the orginator for said infection?

Say you are sure why, this being the case you willl not be enteraining a claim for a full refund.

Do make sure you give this chancer an honest review.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Dear XX thank you for letting me know abot the infection you brought to my home. I am sure you will understand how costly it is for me to desinfect everything you may have touched with your hands and your eyes (pillows, linens, duvets, door knobs, etc...) I hope you are willing to reimburse me for extra cleaning time and medical desinfectant I had to purchase. Please accept my money request for xx $. Regards , @Randy-Zuke0

😄 lol

Randy-Zuke0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

UPDATE: Air BNB paid the guest, as a good will gesture. Good to know next time you travel with air bnb and get a spider bite that you have a strong possibility of getting your money back.

did ABB pay the guest or did YOU pay the guest? (check your upcoming transactions to see if they plan to take back the money you were originally paid)

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Unbelievable and outrageous. Please leave an honest review for this guest.

Did they refund by taking the money back you were paid? How does that happen? It's a scam and they should know that. Lord, I'm going to stay in a luxury place and then claim "I" got pink eye.

Sigh (and no I wouldn't but sheesh). Now that person is going to try that scam on other hosts!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Unbelievably...

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Randy-Zuke0 OUTRAGEOUS.....how long after she left did she say Pink Eye - Conjunctivitis???? There is a 3-5 days incubation time...then 24-72 hrs before it shows!!! If this window of time doesn't fit - I would contact Airbnb and inform them to READ UP on Pink Eye!!!

@Branka-and-Silvia0 are right ON! also, tell Airbnb about that information  as they wrote it.....perfect.....- she should be paying YOU!!!! She infected your place - and this might get HER review OFF your listing page. 

I would put in for money from her - even though she was given a refund (disgraceful)- just to totally irrate and bug her. 

..your guest - She is full of garbage and if you or anyone else is scammed like this we need to certainly PROTEST. 

I hope they do not take down your review - you did mention her claim and sometimes they will remove such when we mention claim, police or such........

We all want to know DID YOU HAVE TO REFUND OR DID AIRBNB JUST PAY HER. Watch your payouts and see if it gets deducted from the next guests payout. 

look at her eye makeup on her profile...........all that eye make up can give eye infections and more. Seriously, I'm mad at this ugly woman.      clara

For the record, air bnb paid her —she wrote an OK review.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Interesting post, @Randy-Zuke0.  Learned a lot and like others am surprised Air BNB provided a refund.  On another note, you have over 400 reviews for your 2 listings, so I am curious as to why a single negative review would be of concern.  While any negative review is tough to read, I think hosts often let themselves be hostage to the review system. 

Fair question. I think i have a strong feeling about honesty and fairness—when air bnb told me they paid this, i was outraged —for no other reason then it encourages dishonesty and actually it pays. I have a few friends who used to do air bnb, they quit because this constantly being judged and often by less than savory characters—I get it.