How to handle amenities that are not an exact match for AirBnB's terminology? (TV vs. home-theater?)

David-and-Debbie0
Level 2
Grand Haven, MI

How to handle amenities that are not an exact match for AirBnB's terminology? (TV vs. home-theater?)

Just curious how people handle the "checklist" of amenities when what you provide is not an exact match for the AirBnB terminology?

In this specific case, we now rent 2 properties that have projector-based home-theater systems. This is really nice for guests, who universally seem to love these.

However, they are not "TVs" in the old-school sense of the word: We don't pay for cable "TV" channels - but both are hooked to a PS3 (so thus provide access to Streaming Services / Blu-Rays & DVDs / and Video Games, so guests get everything in a single device and don't have to switch inputs between different devices).

So we offer something better than a "TV", but when checking off the little boxes I see that we can't list as "Family Friendly" unless we include the "TV" checkbox.

How do you handle this kind of situation?

6 Replies 6
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@David-and-Debbie0

Add the TV. Then go ro "The space / Give more information in English about what makes your space unique." and be more specific about the TV.

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@David-and-Debbie0

You can check the TV amenity. If you do get a guest who is disappointed, they will cry and equate the deception to boiling children alive in hot oil. 

But you do have a TV.

I am curious. How user friendly is your home movie system? I had one years ago and did enjoy it, but it was complicated. I'm a person who hates 2 remotes and switching inputs. My VCR always blinked "12:00"

They aren't too bad. Buy using a PS3 as the media-box we cover pretty much all the bases without the guests needing to switch inputs. We've had very few problems overall.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@David & Debbie, I don't really feel like guests look at the amenity list. As long as you have clear pictures and a written description, perhaps listed in 'amenity limitations' under house rules/details guests must know about your home (ex. Home movie and netflix steaming projector only, no cable television available) you should be okay.

As far as the family collection goes click the ‘TV’ box. I would think kids/families would be impressed with the home theater even if not a traditional TV. For that matter, what young family these days actually still watches a TV? I haven't watched a TV in 10 years. When I babysit we watch Netflix on an iPad (sometimes each kid has their own iPad, all watching something different!)

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @David-and-Debbie0. Ensure you have a photo of the home theatre space, front and centre in both your listings. Be sure to caption your information to the photo; as well as adding it in to your amenities and “other things to note”.

David-and-Debbie0
Level 2
Grand Haven, MI

Thanks, for the prompt responses. I'll take your advice and just be extra-extra clear in the description.