How to handle guest asking for a price reduction AFTER staying

Joi0
Level 3
Blacksburg, VA

How to handle guest asking for a price reduction AFTER staying

A couple months ago I had a guest make a reservation for my house in Virginia for somewhere between 9-13 people. My rate for that weekend was a set weekend rate and NOT based upon the number of guests. He did not question the rate and the booking was made smoothly.

The group ended up being 8 people. They came, stayed and left. They made no complaints during their stay. Several days after their stay the guest said they loved the house and had a great time and then asked me for an approximately 50% refund based upon the fact that he only had 8 people stay at the house. He said his friends had "sticker shock" when he asked them to pay him back for their 1/8th of the cost of the weekend. He is basing his request on a line in my listing description which describes the lower end of the range of prices possible. (Copied here, my listing states: "PRICE INFO: Rates vary from $299/night and up. Football weekends are $895/night. Base rate of 299/night is for a family of 5. Additional guests are 25/night. This does NOT apply to football weekends or other peak dates.")

The guest is arguing that it was not a "peak" weekend so the "peak" rate shoud not apply to him. He wants to apply the lower rate. AFTER staying at the house. I thought as the host, I get to decide what weekends are peak. And my calendar replects that.

I declined his request but offered him $100 as a consolation because I do understand that his friends are disappointed.

He declined the $100 and has now also submitted a list of complaints about the property.

So now he is arguing that I should refund half the money based on my listing description being "misleading and confusing" and also several complaints abou the house. He made no complaints during his stay.

What is the best response? Do I argue with all his points? Do I send him more money? Do I decline his request and ask for airbnb to step in?

I have never had a group complain about my pricing. I have had groups ask for a discount BEFORE booking, and I usually am as flexible with that as I am able to be. I have great reviews and the complaints he made about the house seem to be coming up now that he is not getting his refund which is very upsetting to me.

This group took good care of the house and followed all the house rules, but they also showed up unannounced 4 hours before their check in time when my cleaners were still working on the house. I didn't make a big deal about it and allowed them to come early.

I am not thick skinned and maybe this guy knows it. I want to keep him happy. But I also want to do what is "fair" to both of us.

Thanks for your input!

15 Replies 15
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

You have to be thick skinned in this business.  

The request is the most ridiculous I have ever heard !  He agreed to your prices at the time of booking - period ! That he did not clear the expenses with his fellow travellers or booked the wrong property for his needs is not your business at all.  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Joi0  I totally agree with @Marit-Anne0.  Your guest needs to just let it go as his contract with you was fulfilled by you.  I did not find the pricing information you referred to in your posting.  Perhaps you removed it.  I think it is best to put your pricing in the calendar and not into descriptive part of your listing to avoid the just what you experienced.

As for how to thicken your skin...good luck with that!

It's at the very very top of the description. First paragraph. I did not remove it. 

so so he Doesn't have a case, right? I'm worried the resolution center might side with him. 

@Joi0

As far as I can see he does not have a case.  There is no breach of contract.  Any claims/complaints must be reported to airbnb within the first 24 hours of the stay.  The price info at the top what is arguable here and I would suggest you remove that and work with your calendar and your price settings instead, including the additional fee after 5.  

PRICE INFO: Rates vary from $299/night and up. Football weekends are $895/night. Base rate of 299/night is for a family of 5. Additional guests are 25/night. This does NOT apply to football weekends or other peak dates. Check the calendar for your dates and feel free to ask questions!

Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

So they came and left? What is there to discuss? They got no case once the reservation is completed. No such thing as buyer remorse here. Ignore him.

Yes, they came and left. They complimented me on the house. They said they had a great time. Now they are disputed the price and making complaints. Over a week later. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Weird

Completed transaction, move on, offer them nothing.

David
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Joi0

All of the above!

If it helps you develop better boundaries, or hosting muscle, or thicker skin as you call it, try this:

imagine you are working for an employer who doesn't take this kind of lame excuse and react from that inner position.

If you were working in a hotel, and somebody booked a suite for more people but only part of them came, would you seriously approach the manager after the fact to see if he thinks a refund is a good idea. The client would have to be a huge whale, VIP, or repeat customer. And they most probably wouldn't ask for a refund.

You are a business and not in charity or the guests' buddy. Some people are simply smooth manipulators or good at tear jerking.

Prepare yourself for all kinds of excuses and sob stories mentally in advance, and when they come - stick to your guns and the arrangement and bat them off elegantly and professionally.

If they had thought of telling you on time you could maybe have closed off one or two of the bedrooms... though they probably wouldn't have been happy with that 😉

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Joi0 , I totally agree with @David126 and @Emma94 : ignore him, don't communicate with him any further, let HIM make the next move through Airbnb, perhaps it will never come. No, you don't want to keep him happy, nothing will!

I just hope all correspondance went through the proper Airbnb channels. how are his requests to you coming through to you? emails? Airbnb platform, resolution center? You ask, "do I send him more money?" I hope that doesn't mean that you already sent him some. 

He is using the resolution center for all of this. He asked me for $735. I counter offered $100 as a gesture of goodwill because I feel badly that his friends are not paying him. I don't think I owe him anything, through. though. He counter offered $635. So now I have to accept or  respond.  

@Joi0 , so now instead of $735 he "only" wants $635. ? That is a long ways from the $100 you offered. Stick to your  $100 offer and decline his new request, and don't answer any more.

Just to put it into perspective: it was a 2 or 3 night weekend stay and 8 people came, right? How much was the original charge for that? (like what percentage of the original charge is he asking back?)

It was a 2 night stay. He is asking for about 50% refund. 

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

If you buy 2 tickets to a concert and your friend cannot go, you do not get to return one of the tickets.  All sales are final.  Did half his group drop out as they were pulling out of the driveway?  He knew ahead of time that there would only be 8.  If he wanted a deal, he should have reached out to you when his people dropped off and tried then.  If you onyl eat half your dinner the restaurant does not give you 50% off your bill.

You are running a business,  This guys does not care about keeping you happy and you have no need to keep him happy.

Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

If I were you send him a payment request for taking your time to deal with this stupid and nonsense request. Don't even counter. Decline and tell him that you've changed your mind based on the advice of your attorney. Stop communicating. You owe him nothing. Once a guest leaves your home all services and hospitalities ended right then. See ya and onto the next guests.