How to handle snow?!

Amanda1453
Level 2
Pennsylvania, United States

How to handle snow?!

hey BNB fam, in NEED to some advice for those of you that manage snow seasons!!!
I recently expanded my business out to Pennsylvania from Seattle. In Seattle, snow wasn't an issue and so managing plowings, shoveling, and salting walkways weren't a worry or needed ever. Now, I obviously need to start properly preparing for the snow season.
I am not sure what the best way to go about this is.. I will be paying snow plowers to come and plow when needed but my main concern is the shoveling and salting of stairways to avoid falls that could become liabilities. My issue is, I have multiple properties and it's not possible to shovel and salt walkways for every single house. Additionally, since snow is common, even if I have walkways shoveled, it will just fill back up with snow an hour later.
Does anyone have any experience in this? is it a necessity and requirement to keep snow off walkways and salt them constantly for guests? More worried about reviews and liability. How do I reflect policy in my listing?
7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can you not employ a local contractor to clear and then grit ? Sorry not sure how heavy snow is in your area @Amanda1453 

How do other local hosts handle it. Is there a local host forum you could ask on?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Meet your neighbors. Maybe there is someone close by, a responsible person who would be happy to do this for you, maybe an older teen, or an active retiree who would do this for a fee whenever necessary. They would literally boots-on-the-ground know when it needs to be done as far as the local weather itself, and if you had a week with no bookings, you could let them know it isn't necessary until XX date.

@Amanda1453

Shane401
Level 2
Newport, NH

I have the same question.... 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Amanda1453 I clean the side walk (public part) mid-to end of each snow fall so my neighbors have a passage and I do not get a ticket.  If a fairly heavy snow fall continues on, I check in with the guests if they need a walk way cleared up for them. I am generous with salt so only need to reply mid stay once or twice a season. My SIL lives in Pittsburg and might be willing to take care of your properties (for a fee). Please connect with me privately if you are interested

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

This is one of those things you need to plan for before you buy the property....

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Too many houses to shovel? You'll have to hire help, guests need clear and safe access.

Karen3560
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I’m a guest at an Airbnb and we just got 2 feet of snow. As a southerner, I don’t even know what to do right now. It’s too much to shovel and salt will do very little. I mentioned it to the host and he’s not responded yet.

Having said that, when I arrived there was so much ice on the ground. I asked the host, who lives upstairs to remove the ice. He didn’t so I grabbed his shovel and salt and got to work. It took me three days to get all of that ice removed so I would have a safe passage to my door.  I can understand why the backyard (I have dogs) is inaccessible at this time but getting to the door without incident is important 

I was not pleased with having to do all of that myself. It was a lot of work. IMO, I’d think the host would have a vested interest in making sure I don’t slip and fall. I would think under no circumstances that he would NOT be liable. 

I realize  not really answering your question but in your shoes, as a host, I would think making sure your guest can’t slip and fall on the way from their car to the door would be wise. 

As far as the 2 feet of snow!? I have no idea what to do or whether or not the host will do anything. I’d settle for having someone to call to ask for some help!