How to have guests sign a pet policy?

Matthew346
Level 2
Greenville, SC

How to have guests sign a pet policy?

1) Do you have a pet policy when you allow for pets?

2) If you do, how to have them "agree" so that there is some legal precedent if something happens?

3) Does anyone suggest a template for a pet policy waiver?

10 Replies 10
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Matthew346There is no provision for adding an additional pet waiver through Airbnb. You should set up your pet policy as part of your house rules: that's the only way to do it through the Airbnb system. You could ask your guests to review something outside of Airbnb on check in, but you should also make sure the same information is in your rules so people can't claim they didn't know what they were getting into. 

I do allow pets in my primary listing, and I just have my policies laid out in my house rules. So far, so good. I personally don't have specific rules around dogs (which are the only animals I allow), but I've seen a lot of listings that limit weight (say only pets under 35 lbs, if pets are left alone in the space they need to be crated, and no pets allowed on the furniture). I would also mention picking up after pets and a mention of leash laws, if applicable in your area. 

Also maybe think about adding a pet fee for extra cleaning. If you want to add one, just mention what you charge in your listing, then send a request for money when the guest books. 

This is so so helpful. Thank you Alexandra.

So I'm going to put this in my house rules. I will put in a "I agree to xyz" when people have pets. I can say in those house rules that if they have pets I will ask for extra cleaning of $15 for instance. Does that sound like the right flow?

You have made my day 🙂

@Matthew346 Sorry, didn't see this yesterday. Yes, seems good to me!

Marilyn205
Level 2
Ocean Park, WA

I have only had my listing up two months and it became clear immediately that some folks have no common sense with their pets. My place is small and very affordable so I am not necessarily getting people who travel to 4 star hotels with their pets and act appropriately. I have experience with legal contracts so I drafted this pet policy/waiver - see below. I researched hotel and boarding kennel policies and tailored it to my small guest house.  I kept it to a single page so it's not too scary for guests.  Please feel free to use it if it helps you.

Seananigans welcomes you and your dog and hope you have a wonderful stay! We do not currently charge a mandatory pet or cleaning fee and hope we can continue this policy if guests follow these simple common-sense rules.

Guest name: _______________________________________________________

Dog name and breed: ______________________________Dog weight: ________

Emergency contact name and cell number: ___________________________________________________________________

I hereby agree to the following house rules for pets while staying at Seananigans:

• Guests are permitted one dog weighing 60 pounds or less unless Host agrees in advance.

• The dog must be healthy and up to date (required every 3 years) on rabies and DHPP (vaccines for Distemper, Adenovirus (Hepatitis), Parainfluenza and Parvovirus).
      • The dog must be flea and tick free and current on prevention treatment.
      • Guests will always keep the dog on a leash outside the room.
      • Guests will not leave the dog unattended in the room.
      • Guests are responsible for cleaning up any and all dog refuse, as well as cleaning dog before he/she comes indoors. Large towels are provided or Guests may bring their own.
      • Dog waste bags are provided. Please bag and dispose of waste in the can outside the entry.
      • Guests will use either the Seananigans front yard or the road outside the cul-de-sac to walk the dog to urinate and defecate. A map is provided on the entry that includes the appropriate areas and dog park. Guests will not let the dog relieve itself in the neighbors’ yards.
      • A dog bed is provided. The dog is not allowed on the guest beds at any time. Evidence any pet soiling/damage on bed or bedding may incur extra cleaning or replacement fees.
        • As responsible pet owners, Guests agree to accept full and complete responsibility for any personal injury or property damage caused by the dog or suffered by any person during Guests’ stay at Seananigans.
        • Guests understand that Seananigans will charge accordingly for the repair of any damages, additional cleaning requirements, or flea treatment caused by dog’s presence or behavior.

Guest Signature __________________________________________________Date______________

Host Signature __________________________________________________Date______________

Guest and host shall each receive a signed copy of this waiver.

Thank you I was looking for something like this.  We just recently had to have our floors replaced after I accepted a renter to bring their dog.   Would any damage  be covered through Host Protection Policy?

@Beth4136 pet damage is expressly not covered by the Airbnb host protection policy which is why so many hosts refuse pets.

@Beth4136  if you are sincerely worried about damage, do not allow pets. 

We only had one incident which caused true damage and the guests refused the charge. We had to replace a chewed door frame in our laundry room and it was several hundred dollars.  Since we have had very few issues. The occasional soiled towel or bedding. We have all hard surface floors and a very easy clean space. A tough leather sofa that can be wiped down quickly.  But if you are truly concerned about damage, I would not allow pets or small kids. 

I allow pets. So far it’s only been dogs and I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with cats. My only issue is dogs will be crated or gated when left alone. I provide and install the gate in my kitchen and I don’t approve them till they agree. I ask them how well traveled their dog is and how they do if left alone. So far I have found everybody has been quite honest with their dogs and any quirks they might have. I also mention our village scoop and leash laws and leave an outside can for their waste. I leave a list of local doggy day cares that a couple people have used. I don’t have a weight limit and honestly I’ve found the bigger the better. The smaller they are the more likely they stress if home alone and bark. They also are more likely to have accidents. All that said, doodles have been my least favorite, they’re popular and Ive had several. They tend to be nervous, barky and they shed fine curly hairs that are a real bugger getting off the furniture. ( I do have a basket of dog blankets I ask people to use and I think they do but you still end up with stray hairs) I charge a 15.00 pet fee, per pet. Probably 40% of my guests travel with their dogs and the issues have been very close to zero. I have no regrets at this point and I’ve been steadily busy since starting last July. 

@Laurel47 

I have had the exact same experience with small vs. large dogs. After a year of hosting, I'd say now about 50% of my guests bring dogs, and while I haven't had any major issues (knock on wood!) any issues I've had have been with small dogs.

Some people seem to think big dogs cause more problems than small dogs, but even prior to my hosting experience I've found the opposite to be true! My least faves are the small purebreds like maltese, shih tzu, chihuahuas, etc. They just seem to stress out more.

@Laurel47 we are much the same way. We allow dogs and cats and have even had a guinea pig stay with us. Few issues other than hairs left behind. One early case of an owner locking a dog in the laundry room when they went to a wedding and the door getting chewed. We now insist on crating when the owners are not at home. We have no way to enforce this but hope that most people comply. 

We are booked constantly. We don't charge a separate pet fee but have raised our rates to the point where we are now one of the pricier stays in the area. We don't do any kind of waiver as again, there is no way to enforce that animals don't sleep on beds for example. I think last time I checked we are about 40-45% guests with pets as well. 

The only downside to being pet-friendly I have found is that we are absolutely not a match for allergy sufferers.