How to keep a guest happy?

Daniel7512
Level 2
Austin, TX

How to keep a guest happy?

Airbnb Fam,

I have a long term guest ( 28+ days ) who is staying at a vacation property of mine that I make available part-time.

The guest had several complaints, and made accommodations to make them happy, because I want my guests comfortable, and have spent upwards of 1k to accommodate their requests, but I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. 

I use the house for myself, and I've had other long term and short term guests who very much enjoyed the space. 

Thoughts?

Help!

39 Replies 39
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Yeah, We have EMPATHY @Sarah977😆

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Daniel7512 , this can be a tough crowd but they have pretty solid advice.     It seems your relatively new at this so its expected that early on you may need to buy things you may not have thought about early on but not a thousand + dollars worth (unless your charging them $2000 a night!!!!!).   Its one thing to accommodate guests reasonable requests, another to have cleat marks on your forehead from them walking over you, we are hosts, not carpets!!!!!   

What has been spent has been spent, you don't need to pay more but it would be good if you could at least get paid for the entire rent to help pay it down.  If you can tolerate the possibility of yet another unreasonable request and be prepared with one of @Ute42 's "No", but thanks for asking" snappy responses, you will get paid at least.   Good luck, stay well, JR

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Daniel7512 
There is always risk, but If you have already spent the extra money, I would just ride it out and hope for the best. No need and take a guaranteed negative review by canceling her, unless you really have to. At this point you could just be completely honest with her that you have already provided as much as you can, that you hope she will stay, but if she really isn't happy or not the right place for her she is free to cancel, but that you only have limited time and energy and really have done the best you can to accommodate her. You didn't have to purchase all these things or ask her to go shopping for you. Its your choice though and the the other suggestions are also valid. For me most of the time its best to ride it out and it ends well. Not making any guarantees, but good communication and being perfectly honest is always a good approach. Just keep being very polite and respectful but define very clear boundaries about any more expectations. 

@Daniel7512 

Daniel, you offer a product (your room/apartment), I hope you clearly and transparent describe what guests get when they book. You can also describe your rules and services you offer and won't offer. There is no such possibility to make every guest 100% happy. If your listing is accurate, guests cannot request extras, extras cost extra. You can have in two days two guests and one can absolutely be unhappy and another one is happy. It all depends on your honesty, people's expectations and their perception. The best example about perception I can give you: I have 2 listings, 2 guests at the same time, when it comes to ratings, one guest would rate my cleanliness as 5, another one, who stays at the same time, gives me 3. How is that possible, both were at the same time here? If someone is trying to bend you, and you cannot  deliver, not everyone can spent on each guest 1K extra, just remind people on your listing description and your house rules. If your product is accurate described, you are not responsible for perception and imagination of people.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Daniel7512  Ill be interested how this one turns out.  I honestly can't imagine that you would have spent that kind of money because a stranger renting your unit started making these demands.  Our very first guests asked for a lot of small stuff:  a second bath mat, a lock on the bathroom door, a large stock pot, wok, which we provided all of those, when they asked for a bidet, LOL, we had to say no.  Lesson learned.  Recent guests told us that they found the bed uncomfortably hard, was there anything we could do?  Answer:  no, but feel free to buy yourself a mattress topper that you can use in your own home. Just. Say. No. 

@Mark116 yes-- some guests are like this. They really think you should furnish the space to their ideals and preferences. Its the rub of NOT being a hotel but also offering hotel-like services. These are truly the people for whom the "better suited to a hotel" review is deserved. 

@Laura2592  How so? A hotel wouldn't purchase new furniture or anything else because a guest demanded it.

All this guest is suited for is her own home.

@Sarah977 @Laura2592 

I am sure that to hotel employees this guest would be termed "Better suited to an Airbnb." Because it is likely that a host would entertain this crap since they "want to be nice" or "are scared of a bad review." Unless it is a hotel catering to the 1%, they wouldn't buy her a thing.

@Sarah977  I just think about hotels I have stayed in which would bring me a new toothbrush, different pillows or blankets, one who replaced a wobbly table in my room etc. In my experience hotels provide more replacement items for guests than an Airbnb which is someone's home and furnished to their tastes. 

I don't have anything to add except that a long term stay (likely discounted) is a rental and she isn't entitled to demand those things. You will always get a guest who is demanding and your job is to not give into them. She wants more stuff, she should go get more stuff. And don't worry about a bad review. You can respond or report her to Airbnb. I would ask her to leave. She's taking advantage. I had one of those once before I joined Airbnb. They aren't worth the rent you receive for all the aggravation they create.

But yes. - $1,000 is too much and if she shops for more than you authorized you are not obligated to pay for those things.