How to keep a guest happy?

Daniel7512
Level 2
Austin, TX

How to keep a guest happy?

Airbnb Fam,

I have a long term guest ( 28+ days ) who is staying at a vacation property of mine that I make available part-time.

The guest had several complaints, and made accommodations to make them happy, because I want my guests comfortable, and have spent upwards of 1k to accommodate their requests, but I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. 

I use the house for myself, and I've had other long term and short term guests who very much enjoyed the space. 

Thoughts?

Help!

39 Replies 39
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Daniel7512  It's one thing to try to accommodate a guest's reasonable requests, like maybe providing more kitchen gear for cooking than a short term guest on vacation would need, if they are staying for a an extended period of time. But spending $1000 to kowtow to a guest's complaints and demands is absurd and you are allowing the guest to take outrageous advantage of you.

Guests can see what amenities you provide in your listing description and photos and are able to message a host with questions to determine if it is a place that will be suitable to their needs. If it isn't, they should look for a place that is.

You need to practice saying NO. "No, that isn't something I provide, as is clear in my listing description."  "No, there is no laundry service provided here. There's a laundromat two blocks down the street".

"I'm sorry that you would like an oven, but you booked a place that doesn't have one, and if you needed one, it would have been best to book a place that says it has an oven."

Oddly enough, these kind of people take acquiecence to their demands as weakness and license to continue with more complaints and demands, but will often back off when they see that they can't push you around. 

A demanding, complaining guest is best for you to encourage to cancel the remainder if their booking and find a place that meets their needs.

"I'm sorry, but it seems my place isn't a good fit for you,  as you require things which were not offered in my listing description. It would be better for both of us if you looked for another place to move to that you find more suitable."

If you think that bending over backwards to try to please this sort of guest will lead to a good review, that is not borne out by other hosts' experience. Demanding, complaining guests leave complaining bad reviews no matter how hard a host tries to please them.

Sarah, 

Thank you for the input, for example. The guest complained there were not enough glassware for orange juice, and was going to make a target run. I told her to get glasses and I would reimburse. She sent me back a receipt for 150$, which included a mattress pad, a toaster, rugs, glassware, and some kind of room spray of roses. 

Daniel

@Daniel7512   OMG.  "You told her to get glasses and I would reimburse".  I would have stuck with that, and only reimbursed the portion of the receipt that was for the glasses.  The rest of the stuff she bought because she wanted toShe did not have your permission to purchase the other items or receive reimbursement for them.   I can't imagine what else she has made you spend money on.  It is a rental, not her own home her way.   Wow...and I thought I had heard it all.  Good luck...

Another example, the house has a bar with tools and a built-in dining table in the eating area. She complained there was no free standing dining room table by the windows, so I ordered one and had it shipped out. I haven't reimbursed for the receipt yet, but I'm not sure what to do. She said the bed n the main room is hard and uncomfortable, which is why she got the mattress pad, but my last two reviews, specifically call out how comfy the bed was.. and it's good quality because I use it as well.. My motivation is two fold, I genuinely want them to be comfortable, and I do want good reviews.

Got another call today.. doesn't end

she thinks she lives there, telling me there isn't things in the house she wants, and making trips to bed, bath, and beyond. 

You  need to find a way to lay down the law to her or boot her out @Daniel7512. Tell her this is her choice, to stop this or leave.

She actually sounds like she has mental issues.

@Daniel7512 we can't help you if you choose not to take the advice that is given. You need to say No. Politely. Firmly., Unequivocally. 

Here is another script for you to use:

"I can't purchase additional items for your stay. I am sorry-- I was trying to be a good host by doing so but I went a bit overboard! I will not reimburse anything other than what we have already agreed upon."

Is all this communication in the app at least where you have a record of what you said you would and would not provide?

If you just want to vent and have no intention of resolving the issue with your guest, that is fine, but let your audience know so that we don't continue to give guidance. Did you contact Airbnb about ending this stay? or are you just avoiding and continuing to vent here with the intention of riding it out to the tune of thousands more dollars? I mean who gets custody of the dining table?

All is taken care of ! Thank you community.

Done. thank you

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Daniel7512 IF SHE STAYS MORE THAN 27 DAYS SHE WILL HAVE TENANCY RIGHTS! She will have the LEGAL right to stay!

- Either terminate her Airbnb contract NOW, & refund the unused days,

or AMEND her contract to 27 days, to give you the right to evict after then. BUT she'd need to agree to a shortening, & if, as we suspect, she is aiming to occupy your place long term, she won't agree. She's manipulative & using you.

You really need to tell her to leave, whilst it's still legal for you to do so.

@Daniel7512 Please tell me she is at least using a 20% off coupon?! 

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

I normally find myself supporting most host's decisions on here, however this is absurd. 

I fully agree with trying to make a guest comfortable or meeting their needs, but all this should be done within reason. As @Sarah977 said, you may find yourself needing to provide a few small things for longer term guests that typically are not needed for shorter stays. A few extra glasses are acceptable, an entire dinning room table is not. 

Furthermore, when you do agree to abide by one of her request, I recommend handling it on your own. Don't allow a guest to go purchase what they need and agree to reimburse them. This is asking for trouble. A glassware set can range from a few dollars too well into the hundreds. Acknowledge her issue and let her know how and when you intend to resolve it. Also, agreeing to purchase a glassware set, does not encompass a shopping spree.  Be firm but pleasant, and stick to what you agreed to provide, otherwise she is going to take advantage, which it seems like she already is. 

Lastly, you need to get comfortable with saying no. You can validate her concerns without saying yes. All too often hosts are afraid to say no to guest as they fear bad reviews. When this happens they find themselves bending over backwards or spending far too much trying to please a guest that is never satisfied.  If this guest continues to make demands or requests that are unreasonable, you can always visit the possibility of ending her reservation sooner.  

Thank you for the harsh, I needed a little kick in the butt. In hindsight, I should have just had glassware sent out. I didn't know she was going to purchase a mattress pad, rugs, glassware, etc.. 

I should have set the tone earlier, but she was a long term stay and I really wanted to make her comfortable. 

@Daniel7512My motivation is two fold, I genuinely want them to be comfortable, and I do want good reviews".

It's great that you care about your guests and want to go the extra mile to make them comfortable, but spending 1K on one stay is beyond reason. I have a feeling your place is already quite comfortable, even if it may be missing a few extra drinking glasses. The thing is, most guests are normal, reasonable people who would overlook a small deficiency. They may perhaps mention it as feedback, were you to ask for it. They certainly wouldn't be that bothered by it, nor feel it warranted a bad review. The guest you have now, does not appear to be normal or reasonable. You've given her an inch, and she will take miles more because you let her. Might as well brace yourself for a bad review anyway. That's what these kind of guests do. Go practice Ute's tutorial.