How to kick out a current guest you are no longer comfortable with and is hazardous?

Stefan2719
Level 2
Gatineau, Canada

How to kick out a current guest you are no longer comfortable with and is hazardous?

So, my husband and I have been hosting a lady for two months and during her tenancy so far, she has abused the utilities in our house such as overrunning the water in the kitchen and bathroom. She keeps her bedroom light on day and night for her rabbit (more on that later). She spends hours cooking in the kitchen so much so that you feel like she owns the place. We barely have the time to cook our own meals let alone have other guests use the kitchen because she would use the whole kitchen and cook plenty of food for hours. She has taken over the guest shared fridge AND some of the space in our own personal fridge to store her groceries.

Furthermore, she sometimes plays her music too loudly which obviously bothered the other guests staying next door to her room upstairs and us downstairs. And since we allowed guests with pets in our house, we thought a pet rabbit was Ok since it lived in a cage, right? WRONG. Every time her rabbit makes noises in her room which would prevent her from sleeping, she would put the rabbit in the bathtub of the shared bathroom overnight. Two of our other guests were annoyed and startled to find a rabbit starring up at them early in the morning as they were heading in the shower. She also takes so much time in the shared bathroom doing god knows what and we feel bad for the other guests who cannot use it properly when they need it.

And today felt like it was the final straw because of the spilled contents under the stove element, the stove caught on fire while she was cooking. Fortunately, my husband and I were there to witness it and my husband quickly put out the flames. What was strange was her reaction to it: a non-reaction and a muted “oh” when my husband came to the scene. It could have been a huge disaster but she played as if nothing had happened.

Moreover, we have tried talking to her nicely a few times before this fire incident. We reasoned with her as calmly and with as much understanding as possible. She would nod Ok and showed a bit of improvement for a few days, but then that didn't last long. 

Honestly, we have always been patient with all our guests and we almost always have had amazing people staying here with us. And by us saying almost always, we mean that of course there are bound to be one or two quirky ones, but we have never had any major issues like this before.  We understand that no one is perfect in this world, but we still have this guest for another 2 more months and I really fear that she can really hurt our business as two of our other guests have complained so far. Not to mention, she could have hurt herself and other people in the house. We have concluded that we no longer feel comfortable with her around, especially leaving our house with her in it alone. We fear she would burn our house down.

So how do we kick her out? Has anyone had similar experiences with hazardous people? 

17 Replies 17
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Stefan2719 

How are you getting on with Airbnb in terms of cancelling this guests stay ? Has she moved on yet? 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Stefan2719Start coughing near her and say you're afraid you have Covid 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Is a person who stays in a shared house with random strangers at the peak of the Covid pandemic really that likely to care? I'd think people who were worried about exposure wouldn't touch that house with a ten-foot pole in the first place.