How to leave a review for a guest who left early?

Joy304
Level 2
Portal, AZ

How to leave a review for a guest who left early?

We had a guest who booked a four-night stay,  arrived on time, was good at communicating, and seemed very personable. He had asked for special permission to collect insects on the property (we are in a bio-zone with a lot of biologists coming to visit) which we granted. When my entomologist husband requested on day two that he not kill indiscriminately the insects he trapped but did not want, the guest got all huffy, packed up and left. I'm not sure he left that evening or very early the next morning. A note on the bed said "Thanks for your hospitality. We are moving on." He has not written a review yet, and I am waiting to the last minute to write one for him but I'm not sure what to say. I certainly would not recommend him (he had no recommendations and in hindsight I probably should have not booked him but everyone has to start somewhere, right?). He did not cancel the rest of his reservation and did not request a refund. Other than being over sensitive when we asked him to be a little more conscientious, I have nothing bad to say but I really would NOT recommend this guy. Any suggestions on how to handle my review?

5 Replies 5
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Joy304, maybe something like, 'X was a clean and respectful guest but left abruptly after being politely asked not to kill the insects he'd collected indiscriminately (as we are in a special bio-zone for the purpose of studying insects)'. Then 5 stars in every category if that what was warranted, but 'no' to 'would you recommend this guest?' (which the guest won't see).

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Sorry, better syntax would be: 'X was a clean and respectful guest but left abruptly after being politely asked not to indiscriminately kill the insects he'd collected (as we are in a special bio-zone for the purpose of studying insects)'.

Perfect. I knew someone with some distance would have a more reasonable idea for a review than I had as I’m still baffled and somewhat perturbed at the whole deal. I’ve only hosted for a year and this guy was our first unhappy experience.

There could be lots of reasons a guest may leave and it is never wise to speculate. Ive booked places for work quite often and and wrapped up jobs earlier felling home sick and leaving my Airbnb well ahead of schedule. Nothing wrong the places I stayed in either I just felt ansy and wanted to move on. I would write him a nice note following up and say you hope that you hadn't offended him by asking him politely to not kill your insects and hope that he had a pleasant stay regardless.

Thanks for the reply but I do know the guest left totally PO’d and with his panties tied up in a wad. That being said, we did nothing wrong and he was otherwise an okay guest except for his early departure with no warning or explanation. I will use your suggestions for leaving my review.