How to list a property type of timeshare

Tom390
Level 1
Albuquerque, NM

How to list a property type of timeshare

How do I select a property type of timeshare? The closest match seems to be a Boutique hotel with a  property type of Resort, but that's not an entire place. My listing doesn't showup when I select searches for entire places. Help?

8 Replies 8
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Tom390,

The word "timeshare" doesn't imply anything about the arrangement of the building.

That "Which is most like your place?" box describes the building type so I would pick something, like house, flat etc., from the list to give an indication of the type of building.

Steve.

@Tom390...I did as @Steve143 suggested today and great news: more amenities were accessible! Listing as a house, then house again, then hotel, or villa created the ENTIRE Place and not just private room stigma I was looking to get away from

Tony248
Level 2
Washington, DC

AirBnB really do need a better taxonomist or philosopher on staff. They changed the property type list recently and forced hosts to revise their listings after logging in. So as you did, I relisted my timeshare weeks under Boutique Hotel then Resort fooled by my assumption of the word "Resort", but I don't think that's the right category for Timeshare Resorts, precisely because the platform then denies your listing to be  for "Entire Place" but forces you into either Private or Shared Room. So when I search to stay near my various resort listings (if they didn't rent, I go stay there) just to make sure all is well, lo and behold, my listings are no where to be found when my search criterion for privacy is set for Entire Place. If your listing doesn't show up on searches, you are screwed.

AirBnB grew out of private residences or residental rental properties, so their categories or criteria were not designed to handle complexity or in our case, timeshare resort, which is a fairly well defined and understood hospitality property type. Hire several competent taxonomists, or commission some university's hotel/restaurant management professors to do some research and thinking for you, AirBnB, so you stop messing up hosts' listings.

For now, I decided to go for Apartment then Condominium as the category. Technically, a timeshare IS a condominium with all the attending HOA and HOA fees, except for every year you own the condo, you can only use 1 or several weeks out of the unit's inventory of 52 weeks worth of occupancy.  But it's more than that, nobody comes to clean your Condo and rarely there a front desk or consierge service. When I did that, the "Entire Place" is again available to use, but now the listing say in super heading, "Entire Condominium", which doesn't at all communicate the ton of recreational amenities that typically come with the Timeshare Resort. But that's okay, our purpose is only to make sure that our timeshare listing shows up on searches where the guest selects "Entire Place" for privacy.

I wonder what percentage of properties are listed under the wrong heading because it's not obvious where yours fit under, thus never shows up in searches or have unhappy guests because they thought they book one type only to stay in another. It really sucks that they can't get their act together.

Tony, this is the best reply I've read on this issue. Thanks so much for the detail.

Darko43
Level 1
Temecula, CA

Thank you so much indeed! Since day one I considered airbnb the most annoying and difficult to find or do anything website. Creating confusion and additional trouble for hosts just makes them even worse. As Tony said, I think they need better staff period not just those two categories. 

Carol5086
Level 1
Alix, Canada

want to list  Royal Villas time share junior suite in Mazatlan  .Do not know what to list it under?

Shaterra0
Level 1
New York, US

is it still easy to rent timeshare on Airbnb ?

Not sure which catagory matches timeshare resort.  What is the best selection for listing?  Please help.