How to make guests feel special

Judy204
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

How to make guests feel special

I'm a newbie to hosting. Can anyone share little things they do that make the guests feel comfortable or that is special for them. I'm assuming the normal ones (guidebooks, telephone number of restaurants, little amenties). Just wondering if I am thinking of everything?

58 Replies 58
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Conceptually speaking, because every place and host is so different, starting hosts should be friendly and open-minded, it encourages good feedback from your first guests. Then execute any and all good ideas they give you. In a short time, you will have your place tuned to the type of guests that are indeed coming. Also in a short time, after some success, you will find yourself tuning your description and house rules to fit the type of guest YOU preffer.  It is a fun, short journey really. The best of luck.

Liu3
Level 2
New Taipei City, Taiwan

Good have a nice day for you

[Link hidden]

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Judy204 Everyone is always looking to save money. I put coupons from the Sunday paper in a clear folder, where guest can see it. Coupons for pizza, mexican and other fast food. The coupons cost me nothing and I rubber stamp our listing name on the coupon backside, that way the merchant knows Airbnb is good for them too and it spreads my brand name in the community. I’m really huge on the concept of ‘spread the wealth’. Community members are much more open to new ideas when they can get some money out of it. Everytime I go shopping in town, I ask the merchants if they have any coupons they would like to give an Airbnb customer. The push back I see is people are jealous they are not involved. I also put out a few packages of ramen instant noodles. The noodles cost 10 cents in bulk but the feeling a warm bowl of noodles brings is very nice and comforting. Every single ‘free’ item or sample products I get goes in the Airbnb. The energy drinks, candy, cookies, detergent, wipes, granola...everything....’ if it’s free? It’s for ME!’. My Aunt was married at the Airforce academy’s chapel in CS. An amazing town, good luck on your project!

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

We have a small whiteboard in the kitchen where we will write “Welcome [Insert Guest(s) Name(s) Here!]” It adds a personal touch. I’ve heard of other hosts doing this with chalk boards too. 

We do something similar.  We have a magnetic board on the front door, where we write "Welcome, Julie, (or whomever) and sign our names and the Airbnb logo.  That way, they are sure they have the right house before they knock.  It also reminds them of our names, so they know what to call us. 

John-and-Audry0
Level 3
Nevada City, CA

Something I appreciate at nice hotels...  I have robes available for my guests in the closet.  

We do that as well -- and hang the robes in dry-cleaner plastic bags (five cents each at my local dry cleaner) as a signal to the guest that they are 100% clean.  We have been doing this for two years, and are quite surprised that four out of five guests do NOT use the robes.

@Valerie243 Personally, I never use robes in hotels or Airbnb’s. Not because I think they’re no clean, but because I just don’t prefer them. 

I'm also in Nevada City! Any suggestions where to purchase these robes wholesale or? I would like to offer robes too. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Yes to what everyone has said, @Judy204, and one small thing that goes a long way is to look at what the guest has said in their initial messages to you. When it is a birthday or anniversary trip, for instance, or they are with you because of something they are attending, mention it when they arrive. You will know. It already looks as if you will be a wonderful host. Your first post is to ask about guest comfort!

All the best!

Judy204
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

All of you who responsed to my question are great!  Thanks so much!  Each one of your ideas is something I wouldn't have thought of so I really appreciate your replies!  I will add those things to my hosting experience.  I'm excited about this new journey!  Thanks again!!!

I have a Keruig, and I have "to-go" coffee cups for guests for when they are heading out so they can have their coffee on the go.  Also, I I have a phone charger basket with different types of chargers (they are super expensive you can get basic chargers for like $10).  But It's a nice touch especially if a charger was forgotten.  

Also I have small frames throughout the house with basic instructions (TV operation, WIFI info, kitchen etiquette).  -Sarah

Hello Judy,

Im new to hosting myself. I put a little snack tray on the counter with granola bars , waters, and small wrapped snacks from Sams Club. I knew the family was driving for awhile and then going to a concert . I also knew they were just dropping there bags off and leaving right away to go to their show so I figured something quick to go . In the morning I made coffee and put out a continetal breakfast. I think they really appreciated it.

I need ideas myself lol.  I really like the welcome chalk board sign idea!

I think I will try that!

Good luck hosting 🙂

Jennifer

HI Judy

If I know that the couple staying are on their honeymoon or it is a special wedding anniversary I always leave two small bottles of  our local sparkling bubbly (not champagne) with appropriate glasses and they really appreciate the gesture. I also always leave a chocolate on each pillow - doesnt cost much and is appreciated.  I do think that bath robes are essential.  If you have time it is always nice to leave some home baking in containers.  It goes without saying to have a guest directory with pertinent information such as restaurants, markets etc.

I am well aware that a lot of hosts on Airbnb do not include breakfast and there has been many a debate over this.  Personally, I think that hosts should provide a simple continental breakfast so that the guests can start their day right.  It doesnt cost much and it saves the guests hunting around for a breakfast place when they could be out and about doing and seeing things.   My husband and I spent 7 weeks overseas lately and stayed mainly on Airbnb and only a couple of places provided breakfast which I feel is quite mean. A lot of our guests recommend us to their friends because of what we provide.  After all, surely Airbnb does mean 'bed and breakfast'!

Hope this info is of some help.