How to make guests feel special

Matilda1
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

How to make guests feel special

I wanted to reach out to the Airbnb community and see how hosts have successfully made their guests feel special. Since day one of running my Airbnb, I have always left a welcome letter along with the a bottle of wine. Any other ideas? I want my guests to have the best possible experience and LOVE their stay with us.
14 Replies 14
James1
Level 10
SF, CA

Wine is great, I give guests local beer. The most important thing however, is you. I meet and greet every single guest. I give them the tour and chat about stuff and smile, smile, smile. I try and make some sort of connection. 

Not sure if you noticed Matilda's photo, different.

David

Matilda,

I don't know what kind of "special"  you want to make them feel?  You asked the question, so here is my answer and just my opinion.  Do all the other Hosts a favor as well as airbnb as a brand name business, change your photo!  What kind of people/Guests are you trying to attract?  But more importantly, WHY? Have you even thought this through?  Who do think is going to show up, Mr. and Mrs. perfect Guests and their family?  More likely it is going to be brothel.com.

Eloise

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Matilda1 @David126.....

Yeah Matilda, David made a good point! I would ditch that photo quick as you can. It is wonderful to want to do your best to welcome guests but that photo would possibly attract the wrong type of guests. It says things I am sure you are not intending to say!

There is something about that welcome shake of the hand and to look the guest in the eye with a smile that guarantees you will have a good relationship with your guest. They will feel a warmth and empathy with you that will be lacking if they have no personal contact with the host. Apart from the breakfast essentials along with coffee, tea and milk, I do also provide some crackers and cheese, a couple of beers in the fridge and the best bowl of fruit I can find in my area on a no charge basis....... I do also depend on a certain level of trust. The cottage has a wine rack that is stocked with wines from cheap to reasonably expensive and if a guest wishes to open a bottle we will negotiate a price. I have never been dudded by doing this and guests do appreciate it, being able to just check-in and relax after a possibly long trip, without having the hassle of searching out eats and drinks in a strange area.

I know I am leaving myself open to abuse but, it has not happened yet and I feel it is that raport that you build up by presonally greeting them and saying goodbye and wishing them well when they leave. Most people would feel dreadful doing something wrong when they have been trusted to this extent. Cheers.....Rob

Bob39
Level 10
Goldfield, NV

I would say listening to your guests and being resposive to their needs and questions is the most important thing you can do. More important than any gift you leave for them. They will view the gift as standard that everyone gets and it won't make them feel special. The personal attention and responsiveness does. But - having said that - I do leave a small plate of cookies baked that day for them. Most travelers are tired and hungry from a long drive and some kind of snack they can eat immediately is always welcome. Travelers are seeking comfort and rest. Comfort is more important than the decor. I bought inexpensive foam mattress toppers to make the beds more comfortable. They want a clean, quiet, comfortable place they can rest. I always greet them when they arrive (both to give them the key and to see how many people actually arrived). And I try to be there when they leave, if I know when they leave, to personally bid them goodbye. I think that's better than having a lock box or combination, which seems so impersonal to me. Travelers do want to feel some kind of connection to the people in a place they go to, and you can provide a little of that.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Since host pictures have been wiped from searches (for some users, not all) it will just come as a surprise when you go into the listing.

I think there is a bit too much information. Maybe just your face, or some more clothes. I would be careful not to attract unwanted attention as the picture could be taken the wrong way.

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

Oh my goodness. I would not book after seeing that photo. Too much for me.

From your great reviews, it would seem you're doing everything right.   Those who are put off by your pic might have overlooked the influence of your setting.   If you were listing in Podunk, Iowa, your skimpy ensemble might be understood differently.  

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

@Matilda1 I have to agree! I'm not at all conservative in terms of style/dress. But as a choice for your one and only profile picture? If you want to make guests feel more comfortable, use a picture with some clothes on! And smiling at the camera. I would probably look elsewhere after seeing that photo too.

Beyond that, in my experience, going above and beyond my usual (snacks, beers, water) routine almost seems to guarantee I get a lower review or no review at all! I often leave cupcakes from our neighborhood bakery with wine/champagne for special events like birthdays, anniversaries, etc. The guests always rave about it in person. But it seems to have such a negative correlation with reviews, I'm thinking about never doing it again!

Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

I have to say Matilda, you are a beautiful woman but I do not think your profile picture is giving the right message.  What sort of guests are you hoping to attract?  You are selling a listing, not yourself.  You may well be putting off couples or families.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Matilda1, love the new pic. Showing you as a couple is safer as well. It looks fresh, friendly, great. HUGE improvement!

Much, much better! Now I would book with you! It is all about first impressions. It is also nice that you took to heart the advice of others. Some people would get defensive. Wish you all the best in hosting. You have great reviews.

Now to your orginal question: I vary what I do based on the guest. Often we get a feel for what they would like and do that. Sometimes it is a beer. Once it was a book on a subject that a guest was researching. Often it is just being there to answer questions and help as needed.

Geraldine202
Level 1
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi I am new. The 3rd guest arrives Tom for my first 4 night booking. Super excited. Love the tips.

I will get Good chocolate and write their names in the wifi board. 

The rest is my smile and easy going chat.