How to make my Airbnb listing work better for week-long stay requirement?

Chris928
Level 2
Maryland, United States

How to make my Airbnb listing work better for week-long stay requirement?

I was asked by Airbnb customer service to post my question here. My problem is that I'm losing bookings in my peak season, when I have a Saturday-to-Saturday rental policy. What I've been told by customer service is that if I don't like the fact that Airbnb users are not reserving my property during my peak period, I should switch to the nightly rental model.

Unfortunately, the nightly rental model, while the only model that works at all during the off-peak season, does not allow me to make money. I have a vacation cabin. I only make a profit during the peak summer months, when I can garner week-long stays that don't yield greater revenue but greatly reduce my expenses, since I go from an average of three changes a week (with their attendant high housekeeping costs) to only one. Therefore, my business model is to break even during 10 months of the year, and make a modest profit during the two peak months of summer.

Last year, that model worked fine. I had booked 7 out of the 9 peak weeks by the beginning of Spring. While it's true that Airbnb accounted for only 33% of those bookings, vs. 42% for the year as a whole, Airbnb customers still played an important role in my success.

This year, that has changed. I have only booked one week for the summer, even though my Spring season is almost completely booked. At the same time, I have gotten two inquiries by Airbnb users asking me to let them know if I get any cancellations for the summer months. They were confused because Airbnb's reservation calendar shows all summer days as crossed out, except for Saturdays. And, of course, nobody is looking for only a Saturday night stay. There is nothing on the calendar that indicates that there is a 7-night minimum (instead, it says "minimum stay varies"). There is nothing that indicates that a stay must begin on Saturday.

This seems to be a user-interface design flaw. I wonder whether it is new for this year, since last year I got some summer bookings from Airbnb.

Other sites handle this situation differently. TripAdvisor's reservation calendar doesn't show any unavailable days except those that are booked, but if you try to begin a stay on any night other than the one that is the mandatory first night, a message pops up indicating that stays must begin on the designated night of the week. That interface is clear and easy to use. No danger that a guest will go away thinking there is no opportunity to book.

On VRBO, there is no helpful prompt, but nights that are not already booked are not crossed out on their calendar; they are grayed-out instead. So you can see easily the difference between a booked night and a night that you can't start your stay on. The night that the stay must begin on is not grayed out. That's at least enough to prevent the average user from thinking everything except Saturdays are booked.

Obviously, Airbnb might decide on a suboptimal design for its customers (guests and hosts) for its own business reasons. For example, Airbnb may have decided that whatever it can do to push owners and guests into short-term nightly rentals benefits its bottom line, and is worth aggravating some prospective guests and losing some owner clients. However, I'm hoping the design is not intentionally aimed at destroying my business model, but is just a UI (perhaps a new one) that needs a little more work. 

Are there other owners out there who do 7-night minimums that begin on a specified day?  If so, how do you educate prospective guests about how to find open dates?

10 Replies 10
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Chris928 I had this same issue and complaint earlier this year. I have exactly the same situation: I have a cottage that is only available from Saturday to Saturday in July and August. Unfortunately, I have no words of wisdom for you. My bookings on it on Airbnb have been abysmal: I'm fully booked for peak season, but none of the bookings came from Airbnb. I agree that the way the calendar appears when you only allow checkin on one day of the week is really misleading and confusing for guests. 

The best I can suggest is that you make the first line of your description "bookings from x date to x date are Saturday to Saturday only" or something similar.

Chris928
Level 2
Maryland, United States

Thanks, Alexandra.  It's a shame to use the lead sentence of my marketing collateral for this purpose, but I tend to agree that, under the circumstances, I should do it -- at least through the summer season.  

@Chris928 you did a terrific job of explaining the situation.

(I just wish I had a magic-bullet solution for you.)

I do have a somewhat lame suggestion though:

Would you consider adding a cleaning fee? If you are losing money because of the high cost of cleaning during short stays, then make the people with the short stays pay for the cleaning.

You can lower the nightly cost so that it works out the same for the weekly people.

I know this might result in fewer short stay bookings, but what is the point of hosting a short-stay booking if you lose money on the reservation?

So guests are free to make a reservation of any length they want... and they pay the cost of the cleaning which makes the longer stays more economical and desirable.

Hopefully for you, if all the stays are profitable (both short stays and long stays), then you will care less if guests book for a week or less than a week.

That's how we do it.

Chris928
Level 2
Maryland, United States

Matthew, that sounds like a great suggestion - thanks for offering it!  

I've mulled the possible advantages and disadvantages of adding a cleaning fee, and I've come to the conclusion that I will try it and see how it affects my business.  I don't think I will make the fee account for the full amount of the housekeeping cost (because, with three buildings on my property, the average cost for a full cleaning is $175, and that figure might rub potential guests the wrong way).  

If it doesn't work out the way I hope it will, I can do something different next year.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Isn't the issue here the visual ~way~ Airbnb (and VRBO) shows the check-in / check-out day? With Trip Advisor, it shows (or use to) the 'conversion' days as only ~half~ taken (half grayed out by a slanted line ), not showing the day totally blocked or grayed out. And yes, allow your Saturdays to be 'doubled booked', somewhat.

Easy enough, all Airbnb has to do is go to that better convention, used by their competitor (Trip Advisor).

I hope I understood the issue correctly. 🙂

Chris928
Level 2
Maryland, United States

No question that TripAdvisor's interface is the most user-friendly in this regard, followed by VRBO's.  I'm not entirely sure that Airbnb's is as poor as it is in this case unintentionally (especially since it is superior in other ways).  However, it's probably also true that Airbnb, of the three, has the lowest percentage of clients who rent by the week.  

In any case, if enough people complain, Airbnb may take notice and improve its UI ...

You raise a good point, always wondered why it wasn't likle the TA method.

Kerry85
Level 2
Lonsdale, Australia

I too thought of only offering "minimum nights stays" this will exclude you from a lot of bookings.

I opted for a higher cleaning fee of $99 and minimum stay of one night. This makes the one night stays more appealing as a host, and the longer stays at discounts appealing for the guests. I have also been proactive with reducing prices in the immediate days ahead by up to 50% if I want a booking. I am getting 1 - 4 night average stays, and time in between with the cost taken care of by the cleaning fee, to ensure that my guests get the best at a minimal expense to me. I reduced the price and the guests to a couple and added a price per person per night over a couple. All other bedroom doors have locks on them, with a key provided when the appropriate amount of people have been selected.  Couples are great to have as guests, so I make prices a minimum for them.  The more adults you have the greater the cleaning and amenties costs.

Chris928
Level 2
Maryland, United States

Much food for thought here.  Thanks, Kerry!

I've thought before of reducing the number of people eligible for the base price (currently 8).  I get a lot of parties who say they have eight.  Your fix for that issue is clever!  

I still feel like I don't want to penalize the families with kids, though.  And this is an economically depressed area, so I know families in the region are hard-pressed.  I'm thinking of reducing the limit on the base price to 6, mostly to see how that affects size of parties reported, as well as revenue and bookings.

I don't think I'll ever go down to a one-night minimum stay, since I'm not planning to assess the full cost of housekeeping in my cleaning fee.  I currently have a two-night minimum except for June and July, when it's seven nights, and I'm planning to extend the two-night minimum to the summer months.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Chris928 I called ABB with a related issue a few weeks back: I had wondered why the holiday weekends I had made a 3 day minimum weren't getting booked (I am usually sold out weeks ahead of time). When I went in as if I were a traveler, the calendar made it look like no days were available except the first check-in day. So I had to remove my 3 day minimum - Not the solution I was seeking. 

ABB really needs to change how they reflect these minimum night stays in their calendars. It is resulting in lost bookings and lost revenue for both hosts and ABB. Not sure if anyone has written about this in Host Voice, but if not, someone needs to as I am sure it is an issue for many hosts - And some hosts may not even know about this software fault that is inhibiting bookings.

I also agree with @Kerry85 and I do exactly as she does, word for word. I also lock bedrooms off; I reduce rates if my listing is not booked within a certain period of time; I use a cleaning fee, etc - But I do have the advantage of living in a 2nd house on the same property, and we do all the cleaning ourselves. My constant attention to the tactics Kerry describes so well has resulted in my having a 100% Occupancy rate every month since I opened last May. I think you need to try shorter stays and add on a cleaning fee and see what happens and let us know here how it goes!