Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to make your place cosy?

How to make your place cosy2.png

Hello everyone!

I hope you're all well.

Recently, I've read that changing the colours and seating arrangement of your place can have a positive impact on making your place look cosier. This made me wonder if there are any tips that you could share on how to make a place look cosy? What are things that you usually look out for? Would that be specific furniture or perhaps the use of accessories?  

Please feel free to share your ideas and don't forget to share some pictures of your setup :-).

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

7 Replies 7
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Willow3 that *is* cozy!

I just turned this picture of an NYC marathon banner sponsored by AirBnB (with the Chrysler building in the background) myself, I use a free online picture editor site - not sure if is ok to share the name here, it is Pixlr.  

NYC marathon banner and chrysler bldg.jpg

For our cottage, I will need to take some pictures, we are still mid-reno (on the slow plan lol).  We did buy some architectural blocks at the Noguchi museum as a fun thing for folks to play with (plus they look cool) - will have to take a picture and post later since they aren't on the museum's website.

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I think a few elements are essential for a cozy space. 

Softness - pillows, rugs, drapes.  A bed you can fall into.  

Lighting - multiple types and layers of light, task, overhead, ambiant.

Color - I love a white room and they can definitely be cozy, but they need the other two elements to be so.  

I personally think living plants add a lot to a space as well.  Mine are currently small, still searching for the perfect plants for the light conditions in the room.  But the bathroom has plants too. 

In my space, I've incorporated all of the above, and the cherry on top, is a rocking chair in front of the fireplace, with a hand knit blanket, made by me.  A hot beverage, a book (variety provided in room) or a movie on the TV, and it doesn't get much cozier than that.  Maybe a cat in the lap, but I'm currently blissfully pet free. 

IMG_3331.JPG

original

Any tips on turning an image? 

Oh, and handmade is always cozy!  In addition to the blanket I knit for the room, I use vintage handmade linens on the coffee service, the blue quilt on the bed is handmade (in India, not by me!) and all the art in the room is one of a kind, local art.  Art  is often overlooked, I think. 

I feel exactly the same!

Layers of lighting is really important and often overlooked. I stayed in a budget rental that had only an overhead light - nothing softer, no reading light near the bed. If I'd been staying more than one night, I would have bought them one!

Plants instantly give life to a room, in addition to helping with air quality. As someone with a black thumb, peace lilies are my favorite easy care houseplant.

And totally agree with a white canvas. It does need some pops of color to avoid looking sterile. One Chic Retreat did my favorite writeup of designing color into a room without overwhelming it. Her advice was invaluable when working on my own listing.

http://1chicretreat.com/the-one-bizarrely-effective-color-secret-you-need-to-know-now-for-your-vacat...

Good natural light (and the ability to block it for sleeping!) also makes or breaks a room for me.

I've also added a selection of board games (and fun adult games like Cards Against Humanity and Never Have I ever) to the suite. They're great for rainy days or entertainment for those skipping a night on the town.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Willow3,

Lovely tips and photos @Willow3. I've just swivelled your second one for you! 🙂 

I'm a fan of living plants too in the home, I am getting better at looking after them. I have several orchids now and a plant which I am trying to rescue back to life (which the name has completely escaped me now–it will come to me) that a friend gave me, it has beautiful deep pink flowers that dangle (or should have). If you are looking for some ideas you might like to take a look at house plants thread. 

It is interesting to see you have both blinds and curtains, do you like to close the curtains as well or are they more decorative and the blinds are more functional. It creates an attractive look. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Allison2, @Willow3, @Harriet-and-Stu0, and of course master of great topics, @Quincy,

Agree with everything said!  Most of my house (common areas) is fairly formal.  You probably can't see pictures now because I'm on Snooze until December.  The bedroom is definitely cozy... cute reading lights (one modern, one vintage), a little reading nook with some choice books (I actually have a huge library--most of two house rooms--with unbelievable variety (I have a LOT of interests and LOVE to read!).  I also have hand-made blankets (my grandmother was a knitting FIEND!).  His & Hers slippers (heavy socks for guys with big feet--all for the guest to keep), bath robes, a big basket of yummy munchies, really pretty ceiling fans... and as far as anything you can probably think of, it's here and available.  In the places I've stayed before, the ones I really loved were where they seemed to have thought of EVERYTHING!  I actually felt 'loved!'  The upstairs deck overlooking the lake has two comfy rocking chairs, with a pretty umbrella that has lights on the under spines for night-time.  And all of the stuff is pretty, and most of it is also 'interesting;' not exactly what you'd see just anywhere.  I have a lot of art in the house as well.  Super nice.  Two super friendly goldfish--tame, and love to give 'finger-kisses' (I LOVE this house!)   I also have three really friendly pet chickens (they can play, or not), and the most AMAZING parrot known to this world--which a guest can either interact with, or if not, they'll never even know she's here!

Good job, all!

Kim