How to manage listings that are extremely different in different seasons

David-and-Debbie0
Level 2
Grand Haven, MI

How to manage listings that are extremely different in different seasons

I'll try to keep this short (but it probably won't happen): We host two properties in an area that has an extreme tourist season (June-September) with little interest outside of that window. For a variety of reasons would very much like to have wildly-different availability and booking criteria - for example we would like to attract long-term renters Jan - May at both properties - a window which matches almost exactly with Winter Semester at any of the colleges & universities in the area. Because we have real winters here, even the description of one property should probably change (it sits on a fully-wooded lot and Spring/Summer/Fall feels extremely secluded even though it is really in a typical suburb - it feels like a getaway in the woods), but once the leaves are gone and the plants are dormant, it feels much less secluded, and we don't want to mislead guests. But we can't really change the listing as it would seem less attractive to potential guests during non-winter seasons. I would also like to make any short-term stays have a relatively long minimum number of nights during the Winter, since it is otherwise not worth our time digging properties out that are otherwise unused during the winter (i.e. last winter it took me an entire day to remove the snow and ice from a property to make it safe for a 2-night stay - absolutely not worth it!) but as far as I can tell the "minimum number of nights" applies to an entire listing, not a set range of dates?

Anyway, looking for suggestions. My initial thought would be to list both properties twice, once for "Winter" (more or less) and once for the rest of the year, but I'm fairly sure that's against policy? Anyone come up with a good solution to such problems?

8 Replies 8
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

You can set the minimum number of nights for a date range by creating a ruleset.  On an iPhone or iPad, go to your calendar and select a range of days.  Then, under Rule-sets...select Add Ruleset.  Then, under Availability, you can set the minimum and maximum trip length.

@David-and-Debbie0   It is possible to have multiple listings for the same property without breaking any rules. In fact, it's necessary to do it this way if there are differences in the physical offerings, amenities, or House Rules. You just have to be careful to make sure the calendars are managed correctly so that nothing gets double-booked.

The advantage to doing it this way is that a separate off-season listing can highlight a different set of features and use appropriate photos. A disadvantage would be that a new listing would start with no reviews, and if it's dedicated to long-term rentals it would take a long time to build it up to the level of the existing listings. Even so, prospective guests can still see from your profile that you're a genuine host with a good reputation.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

As far as photos go, I would just add photos to the existing listing, with the Captions “Winter at our home”, and “Summer at our home”. A good professional photographer can make both look beautiful.

David-and-Debbie0
Level 2
Grand Haven, MI

Thanks Andrew and Pat! I'll take a look at those options and get to work.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@David-and-Debbie0  I think you are marketing to two completely different type of guests and I would do two listings highlighting why each group would want to select your listing based on the season. The difficulty is that most of your reviews will be on the summer listing and so your winter listing might well be far lower in the search results.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Susan151 new listing usually gets an initial boost so it might not be so bad

David-and-Debbie0
Level 2
Grand Haven, MI

Started working on doing duplicate listings today and discovered that the "Duplicate" function for an existing listing migrates almost nothing to the new listing (just pics, apparently pretty much all verbiage, and even the location, did not duplicate for me). Is this normal, or did I encounter a bug in the duplicate process?

Hi, Just read your posts.  Did you make your property 2 listings?  I have a similar situation and wondering if you would recommend setting up two?  Ours is on a lake, so summer is all boating/fishing...  Winter is ice, skiing, snowmobile...   Summer is large groups and off season is smaller couples.