How to respond to Guests asking for Discount?

Answered!

How to respond to Guests asking for Discount?

Occasionally, we get requests from guests asking for discounts, when our rates are already quite competitive and very reasonable.

Does anyone have any templates or message you use to reply (accept, decline or negotiate) to guests requesting a discount?

Thank you!

1 Best Answer
Elizabeth1229
Level 3
Heidelberg West, AU

Thank you for this question.  Now that I have read all the responses, see below the Template that I have made in response to guests requesting a discount.

Thank you for your enquiry about the Quiet Private Studio for your future business stays and your request for a discount, due to you needing 40 nights spread over four stays.

There are plenty of other Airbnb’s in the area that would better suit your budget, and there are also Hotels nearby that might offer you a discount, so I am sure you will find the perfect place to meet your needs.

I am told verbally by guests that the Quiet Private Studio “is better than a hotel” in what it offers and that “you should be charging more for this room.”  As you can see from the reviews, I offer high standards of hospitality for an affordable cost. 

Repeat visits do not attract a discount.  The only discount is for seven nights in a row and is 14% which is already reflected in the price you have been quoted – ($111.16 off )

This is a lovely room which people enjoy returning to, so by all means return.  However, as you can understand, the costs to me of maintaining the room at this standard are the same whether you are a new guest or a return guest. 

I have will pre-approve your dates in case you want to make a booking.  If not, then the pre-approval will lapse within 24 hours.

Good luck in your search for the ideal accommodation.

I hope this is useful to other hosts in courteously responding while holding their own.

Regards, Elizabeth

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35

I actually just pre-approve them without offering them the discount so it doesn't hurt my ratings. If they're honest about needing the discount they won't be able to book anyway. I offered someone a huge discount and it apparently wasn't good enough for him, so I instantly withdrew the offer and pre-approved him for the much higher previous price. It worked out.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tell them NO discounts....period!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Cristina-And-Daniel0   I do give a military discount, but no other. I simply state if you compare what I offer verus other similar rentals, you are already getting a discounted rate as they do not offer what I do as part of their amenities. 

Chris2026
Level 1
Nelson, Canada

I have my settings set for instant booking. I just had a guest book for a night and ask that I waive my cleaning fee as they will be really tidy and clean after themselves. 

I, too, have experienced folks who ask for discounts or special treatment end up bring folks who basically suck... ie baseless crappy reviews 

I told them what cleaning the space takes and that I'd gladly refund them their cleaning fee (I charge only what I pay my cleaner and do not have a douchebag fee... sorry, service fee...) if they spent the two to three hours that it would take to bring it up to my standard. I was serious too. He'll, if they want to clean up after themselves it would literally benefit all hosts... they declined. I did a walkthrough of the suite... 24 hours since it was cleaned... to ensure that it is still top notch.

So there you go... my nickel's worth of whatever!!

Coralie71
Level 1
Liverpool, United Kingdom

I have just started with AirBnB. My place offers accommodation for 5 plus dogs. I set my rates just below what I considered reasonable. The cleaning takes longer than I expected so I’m 

certainly not prepared to drop my rates.  

I have had someone ask for a £58 discount which is a discount of approximately £2.90 pp per day. I’m not sure why you would be cheeky enough to ask for such a discount. Thankyou for all the helpful responses. This is how I have answered. 

“Thankyou for your interest in our place.. Unfortunately, we only offer discounts on longer stays and unilaterally treat all our welcome guests the same. Therefore; I am unable the discount you have requested.

There are a number of varied prices and styles of accommodation available across the Airbnb platform in the area and I sincerely wish you well in your search.”

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

Thanks for the insight. I have someone asking me for a discount now - it's 2 days 16 people, and I am not really liking the vibes I am getting from him.

Stephan-And-Kristen0
Level 2
Phuket, Thailand

I am in a situation where one prospective renter keeps coming back, after my replies of "my rates are competitive, no to discounts,  there are other places that will fit your budget, good luck with your search, etc."  To the extent that he's making me FEEL bad.  Any insight on how to end the back and forth without being downright rude.  I've tried the nice nice.  TIA.

@Stephan-And-Kristen0 "We don't offer discount under any circumstances."

@Stephan-And-Kristen0 Stop responding. You have given your answer, let him have the last word. Block him if you can but reporting the message. 

Thanks Emilia and Helen.  Supports the direction I was thinking.  Cheers.

@Stephan-And-Kristen0 So if you let this perspective guest make you " feel bad " now...just Imagine what they will do when you rent to them and they have open access to get whatever they want....they have stamina. I would message thanks but we have our prices reduced already. Good luck. And ignore any other post from them. 

Elizabeth1229
Level 3
Heidelberg West, AU

Thank you for this question.  Now that I have read all the responses, see below the Template that I have made in response to guests requesting a discount.

Thank you for your enquiry about the Quiet Private Studio for your future business stays and your request for a discount, due to you needing 40 nights spread over four stays.

There are plenty of other Airbnb’s in the area that would better suit your budget, and there are also Hotels nearby that might offer you a discount, so I am sure you will find the perfect place to meet your needs.

I am told verbally by guests that the Quiet Private Studio “is better than a hotel” in what it offers and that “you should be charging more for this room.”  As you can see from the reviews, I offer high standards of hospitality for an affordable cost. 

Repeat visits do not attract a discount.  The only discount is for seven nights in a row and is 14% which is already reflected in the price you have been quoted – ($111.16 off )

This is a lovely room which people enjoy returning to, so by all means return.  However, as you can understand, the costs to me of maintaining the room at this standard are the same whether you are a new guest or a return guest. 

I have will pre-approve your dates in case you want to make a booking.  If not, then the pre-approval will lapse within 24 hours.

Good luck in your search for the ideal accommodation.

I hope this is useful to other hosts in courteously responding while holding their own.

Regards, Elizabeth

Landy5
Level 2
Canada

I do not accept( approve) someone who has asked for a discount request; I feel even they book my place without a discount, I may put myself in potential trouble. I had an experience once, some has asked me for a discount and booked my place without the discount later( I did not offer him a discount). When he checked in, he was extremely picky. He has no negative things to write about my place, he picked my bed size( I advertize the size) and the mattress is worn out. ( He is the only one complaint about the mattress so far.) 

My experience of discounting is that it never fails to bring guests who are, shall we say, not my chosen type of customer.  I never fail to understand why they ask for a discount given the amount of accommodation available to them.  Other than they want someone else to subsidise their stay at a location they can't or won't afford.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Elizabeth1229 Even though your post/response with your quote to guests is from over 10 months ago I have to comment with my thoughts, ideas and suggestion. 

All the dialogue you write to the guests about a discount makes little sense to me. 

Why waste so much time - yours and the guests - plus they will probably not read 1/2 of it.

When folks ask for a discount just let them know yes or no. I was almost confused by all you wrote.

And the question is do you or don't you offer a discount! Right

I'd say:

Thanks for your inquiry to stay! Our cottage/house is already offered at a terrifically discounted price - I wish you luck in your search, as there are many other Airbnb's that will fit your price range perfectly. Good luck with your search.

Again, all the best, 

That's what I would write - no more, no less - I have only had a request one time in almost 4 yrs. and it was for a military discount - which was the above response. 

Good luck and happy hosting, Clara