How to respond to Guests asking for Discount?

Answered!

How to respond to Guests asking for Discount?

Occasionally, we get requests from guests asking for discounts, when our rates are already quite competitive and very reasonable.

Does anyone have any templates or message you use to reply (accept, decline or negotiate) to guests requesting a discount?

Thank you!

1 Best Answer
Elizabeth1229
Level 3
Heidelberg West, AU

Thank you for this question.  Now that I have read all the responses, see below the Template that I have made in response to guests requesting a discount.

Thank you for your enquiry about the Quiet Private Studio for your future business stays and your request for a discount, due to you needing 40 nights spread over four stays.

There are plenty of other Airbnb’s in the area that would better suit your budget, and there are also Hotels nearby that might offer you a discount, so I am sure you will find the perfect place to meet your needs.

I am told verbally by guests that the Quiet Private Studio “is better than a hotel” in what it offers and that “you should be charging more for this room.”  As you can see from the reviews, I offer high standards of hospitality for an affordable cost. 

Repeat visits do not attract a discount.  The only discount is for seven nights in a row and is 14% which is already reflected in the price you have been quoted – ($111.16 off )

This is a lovely room which people enjoy returning to, so by all means return.  However, as you can understand, the costs to me of maintaining the room at this standard are the same whether you are a new guest or a return guest. 

I have will pre-approve your dates in case you want to make a booking.  If not, then the pre-approval will lapse within 24 hours.

Good luck in your search for the ideal accommodation.

I hope this is useful to other hosts in courteously responding while holding their own.

Regards, Elizabeth

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

Hello @Cristina-And-Daniel0 , If you feel that you prices are reasonable in my opinion you should keep them and don't offer a discount. If maybe someone wants to book for longer stay you might give a small discount but again, don't go bellow what is reasonable and profitable for you. I am sure many people will confirm that if someone is trying to bend the rules in the beggining they will continue to do so and they are nothing but trouble.

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Cristina-And-Daniel0,

I don't negotiate so I reply with the below message filling in the titles of appropriate other listings and inserting "request" or "inquiry" as appropriate.

Thank you for your request. There are many listings in the area with prices iin your range. One is XXXXX and there's also YYYYY. I don't know the hosts or have any arrangements with them but their prices are in your range and they're close to my place.

If it's an inquiry, and there are no other contra indications in their messages other than the discount request, I pre-approve. I've not yet received a request with mention of a discount. If I were to receive one I'd send the same message and ask them to say if they still wished to book. If they didn't respond within 12 hours I'd ask them to withdraw the request. If they hadn't done so within 6  hours I'd decline the request.

Steve.

Omri0
Level 4
Tel Aviv-Yafo, IL

I do the same as Steve,
I recommend them other chapter listings in the same area.
I explain to them that I do not accept discounts as a rule.
I explain that its because I am always available for them and I have very high standards of hospitality.
Normally they understand and willing to swallow the difference in price and still book at my place. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I say no, sometimes I refer them to a Hotel in the next time who does do discounts, he is still much more expensive with a discount but they get a discount.

David

bonjour @Cristina-And-Daniel0

There are so many listings on Airbnb that travellers have no (good) reason to ask for a discount as the price is a search criteria.
If they don't have the budget, they should not contact you.

Moreover, people asking for exception won't stop with the price.
If the host agrees on a lower price , why not on other things (arrive sooner or later or with an unviting guests etc)?

it is safer to stick on your rules to prevent abuse.

It takes 34 seconds to reply :

"Thank you for your interest.

There are so many linstings in Paris that i am sure that you'll find the perfect place matching your needs and budget.
Wishing you a nice stay in Paris"

Take a look a the review the traveller finally write.
You'll be thankful not to have accepted their request.
It is quite often a cheapskate review : "Ok but that was missing and the host does not offer this and that"

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Cristina-And-Daniel0.

I have found that if a guest pushes the boundaries before they are approved or arrive, then that could be their nature, and the start of an irritable relationship.

*** Every guest has the right to ask... but every host has the right to say NO! 

I thank them for their interest in my homestay space, but I am unable to discount. If they wish to book at the current set price then I will pre approve them. If this does not suit them, then I remind them that there are many varied prices and styles of accommodation available across the Airbnb platform, and I sincerely wish them well in their search.

🙂

Cathie

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Cristina-And-Daniel0  @Cathie19  @Nathalie-Et-Gilles0

Good question.  My first few inquiries were asking for discounts: none of them booked.  Then I readd up on the topic in the forums: you just received by and large the convential wisdom.  Don't negotiate.

I wrote a form letter reiterating most of the house rules and spelling out my base price with the snentence, "We offer a discount for a stay of seven days or longer or a stay of 30 days and  the discount will be reflected when you book: we do not offer any other discounts."

Many inquiries are a waste of time and don't require your effort in making an individual reply:  it's a judgement call on when to use the form letter.

I may craft a shorter form letter to say: 

"We offer a discount for a stay of seven days or longer or a stay of 30 days and  the discount will be reflected when you book: we do not offer any other discounts.

There are many AirBnB's in the area and there is one to fit any budget if you set the price in your search parameters. Good luck in your search."

Thanks for being one of the few who actually offered a sample  response, which is what she was asking for.  Sounds like she already decided to decline, just needed a polite way to say it. Very helpful!

Soleine0
Level 3
Boulder, CO

One guest is booking 5 nights for a group of 4 people. She is asking for a discount based on the fact that 2 of them will stay 4 nights.  I do charge $20 more per night from the 3rd guest.  What would you do ? 

that is totally a judgment call... I've sometimes said, the costs are the same to me or I've done a little off for that guest who isn't staying that day. BUT if they're spending xxxx, and that last extra $40 is going to make a difference to them. Well, what do you think that means?

And what other options are available to them?

I would probably be willing to take off $40 for a 5 night booking. Depends on her profile, the tone of her messages, how far out she's asking, how popular the dates are, etc

Goodluck & let us know what happens 🙂

My response is "Thank you for your interest in my listing. A weekly (10%) and monthly(25%) discount is already reflected and our prices are already quite competitive for the area and considering what we provide. Good luck finding a place that better suits your needs!" 

I don't like people that haggle with  my prices because clearly~ they don't know a good deal when they see it 🙂 

Laura1920
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

I agree with other hosts. Guests who start off asking for a discount are always troublesome. I never give a discount, unless it was for 6 days +. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi @Cristina-And-Daniel0

Some people think that they have to ask for a discount, kind of habit. Others want to take some advantage of the host and can even be troublesome.
Given that Airbnb is a website to compare prices, in most of cases, it does not make sense to ask for a discount.

If you do not want to sound agressive or arrogant, you can say something like the following:

"I think my price is fair for the time said.  It is a good deal. Location and accommodation is good. For more than 1-week there is a discount and you can see it when you enter the dates. If you want to book, you are welcome".

Approve and leave the dates free. You have got nothing to lose. If the guest that asked for a discount does not book, another one that are interested in the same period of time can book it.

Just my personal opinion!

Toni-and-Allen0
Level 2
Groveland, CA

We are new to hosting and just started renting out our vacation home in June of this year. The summer seemed to be very busy season and now it quieted down a bit. In the last week I received two unusual requests. One from a photographer wanting to barter his weekend stay in our home for some pictures that he would take of the place, even thought we have professional pictures taken that we use for our listing. I had to decline and unfortunately in the list of reasons to decline there isn't one I could pick to fit this scenario.

Another request came from another person that was flat out asking for a 50% discount for a two week stay, when our prices are already reduced for the extra season, and we already offer a 12% discount for week or longer stays.

Again I had to decline and again there was no option in the list of reasons fo declining.

I am just worried that all these declines will add up and show up at one point when I don't expect it. There should be a place to actually explain the reason for declining or to add to the list "Guest requesting discount to listing fees" or something similar.