How to review a "not so great"guest

Answered!
Lisa1485
Level 3
Guildford, United Kingdom

How to review a "not so great"guest

Hi, we are newish to hosting. So far our guests have all been great. We’ve had the usual, give us 5* for everything then a 4* overall trick that seems quite common, and one guest who wanted a rural village (which we are) to test the commute and then gave a 4 star rating for location! 

However, the guest that has left today has me in a bit of a quandary, so i’d appreciate a little input from you all.

She messaged me before booking as she was going to a birthday lunch at a venue located 5 mins walk from our house. She asked if she could smoke, I pointed out that our listing clearly states no smokers or vaping on the premises or grounds (I also pointed out I have health issues which made this a necessity). 

She didn’t book. Then a couple of weeks later she did book, clearly she hadn’t found anywhere else so convenient! 

She booked for one person, but her previous messages had stated two. I sent her an email asking her to confirm how many people. We don’t surcharge for a +1, so for us it wasn’t an issue, but it could be for others.

I asked what time she anticipated arriving, as I was out much of the day, and my husband needed to collect me later, so there would be no one home for around 45 minutes between 6 & 6.45pm. She said she’d be there at 4pm. 

She rolled up at 6.20pm, having at no point told us she was going to be late, my husband had hung around, but that left me waiting standing around in freezing cold and rain.

She was falling over drunk and promptly collapsed on the bed. Her partner didn’t introduce himself, just shut the bedroom door in my husbands face. My husband then had to leave them there, while he collected me. 

The partner was outside smoking when we got back, in the grounds, where there was already a pile of cigarette butts. The house stank of smoke and alcohol when we got inside. We spent the night worried whether she was going to end up coating the room and bathroom in vomit. We close off our area of the house overnight, yet they came through into our area in the early hours of the morning. 

Neither of them took shoes off, we have original pine stripped floors and are a shoes off house, something we make clear on our listing, and we provide guests with travel slippers for their stay. They left mud marks on the rugs, floors & bedding. 

The following morning, they both totally ignored my husband and I; we are happy to either interact with guests or leave them alone, but a good morning doesn’t hurt anyone? We spoke to them and were totally blanked. We never even found out her partners name. 

We felt very uncomfortable in our own home, like we were a nuisance to them, despite us staying out of their way. When they left, the literally just walked out the door, no goodbye nothing. They then proceeded to smoke on our drive, stub out their butts and leave them. 

They did however leave the room tidy, which is frankly the only good thing I can say about them.

How do I review her?? Any tips gratefully received!! 

1 Best Answer
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Wow, I think everyone is being way too kind here - these guests sound terrible! @Lisa1485, as @Rebecca0 said, please please review them honestly to warn other hosts. I would write something along the lines of:

While X and her partner left the room tidy, I cannot recommend them to other hosts. Communication was very poor regarding number of guests and arrival time. Additionally, numerous house rules were broken, including smoking and littering of cigarette butts on the property, excessive drinking, entering 'no guest access' areas in the early hours of the morning and leaving mud marks on the floors, rugs and bedding. They were also rude and uncommunicative and made us feel uncomfortable in our own home.

Cleanliness: 3 (mud marks)

Communication: 1 (failing to update you on arrival time, no introduction of boyfriend, not engaging in conversation and failing to say goodbye)

House rules: 1

Thumbs down!

View Best Answer in original post

57 Replies 57
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Lilian20 that’s a shame! As reviews from hosts are what helps future hosts understand if a guest will be a good fit for their space or not.

If you’re not happy with a guest then an honest, factual review is exactly what a fellow host would appreciate- an online heads up so to speak 🙂 

Thank you Lilian. I will do same thing to the guests that I am not completely happy with.

@Landy5  Not leaving a review for a bad guest isn't doing anything to the guest but a big favor. 

What you are doing with this approach is a huge diservice to other hosts by not warning them. 

So you are rewarding the bad guest and hurting your fellow hosts.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

..I have written about 1000 reviews about guests, it's for my own sanity that i tend to only give good reviews..

When the host leaves a review about the guest , does the guest also read it , or is it just for the hosts  ?

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Gail201 all reviews- host to guest or guest to host will be visible on the persons Airbnb profile for anyone to see.

Am I right to think also, that if a guest knows they will be given a " not so good review "  and does not leave a review ,  even if the host has left one stating the guests behaviour  that it will not show up unless both have written  and submitted  reviews

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi again @Gail201 no that’s not right- reviews are published regardless if both parties have reviewed or not.

If both parties review, once the second party has reviewed then both reviews will be published.

If only one party reviews, and the other does not then that review will be published at the end of the 14 day period that guests and hosts have in which to write their reviews.

Thank you for clarifying that, I have been hosting for 1 year now, but still a bit green 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You’re more than welcome @Gail201 🙂 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Lisa

If I had to write a review about guests like the ones you have described, I would leave something short and to the point and I would mark thumbs down.
"House rules were broken. Lamentably, I can not recommend them".

Lisa1485
Level 3
Guildford, United Kingdom

Thanks, I'm going to review them honestly, taking on board the many useful comments here, from more experienced hosts. I'll pop in a comment with my proposed review in a couple of days, when once I've thought about what I'm going to say. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lisa1485 @Paul1255 

Lisa, with regard to reviews, you must remember you have the right to a public review response to the guests review of you. But you only get that right if you have also reviewed the guest. If you choose not to leave a guest review you forfeit the right to take any further part in that particular review process.

This is why it is most important to leave a review! But if there is any doubt about how the reviews may go, keep your review very short and generic. Don't make statements you may wish to retract down the track.

So often we see a glowing host review, and the guest gives a less than stellar review and in the review response the host give that same guest they spoke glowingly of a right proper caning! Lisa that is not a good look. Diplomacy will always win, believe me!

Cheers.....Rob

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Very true  that one from @Robin4   :

So often we see a glowing host review, and the guest gives a less than stellar review and in the review response the host give that same guest they spoke glowingly of a right proper caning! Lisa that is not a good look. 

Rebecca0
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

PLEASE review this guest honestly for the sake of your fellow hosts.  I do not want such a person in my house.  We all have our own hosting styles and our own tolerance levels.  I can cope with the odd guest who's had a bit too much to drink but somebody who doesn't even give the courtesy to disclose who else will be coming and then turns up paralytic and wanders around the house disturbing everyone?  Are you kidding??  NONE of us need such selfish disrespectful guests.

PLEASE do not hold back on the review.  She will probably write you a crap review too, by the way.  It's reverse psychology - she will know what a horrible guest she was so she'll take it out on you.   It happens all the time.   The worst reviews usually come from the worst guests.  So don't spare her feelings, there is a 99.9% that she will not be thinking of your feelings or your business when/if she writes her review.

Short and simple:  

I cannot recommend X as a guest.  She did not disclose the number of guests and had to be helped into the house on arrival from a nearby celebration [probably best not to outright mention she was drunk] and there was subsequent disturbance during the night.

On the plus side, the room was left clean and tidy.