How to review a smelly guest?

Kateřina0
Level 2
Prague, Hlavní město Praha, Czech Republic

How to review a smelly guest?

Hi, need some help please..

I have just hosted a couple where the guy smelled really bad and strong. He had unkept hair and beard, and I don't really keep track of guests showering, but they have only used one set of towels during their 4 night stay...

His smell stayed in the room when they left, even after I have washed & cleaned everything humanly possible (yes, mattress covers as well).

Other than that, they were nice, respectfull, my cats loved him. How do write a review? Should I even mention it? It could just be me, not being "genetically compatible" as the girl didn't seem to mind...

Katerina

13 Replies 13
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

@Kateřina0

In reviews, I generally try to refrain from explicitly mentioning things in a review that are of a personal nature, or which could embarrass the guest, but at the same time, I think it is  fair, if the odor was quite bad and/or continual,  for future potential hosts to know that your house smelled bad after this guest departed, or even during the whole stay if that was the case.  

So...I would not mention anything about how often the guest bathed (which you can't know for sure anyway...they may have used the same towel over and over) or the state of the guest's hair or beard, or even that the bad odor the guest brought in, was his own body odor.  Rather I think the point to be made, and which is fair to make if it bothered you enough, is that the guest caused (in some way) a bad odor to be in your home.  

So maybe you could say, "George and Patricia were a friendly couple, nice and respectful people, and my cats liked them.  The only problem I had with their stay, was a bad odor that stayed in the room after they left and after I cleaned and washed the room, which made it awkward in welcoming the next guest into the room.  Hence, I reluctantly have to suggest that George and Patricia, nice as they are, might be better suited to stay in a hotel."  

I add the  line about the "next guest" because even if you didn't have another guest coming right away, it helps guests (and hosts) understand the consequences of someone bringing and leaving a bad odor in your house, to show that it not only affects you and your own comfort in your home, but potentially damages your business.  By not stating in any way that the odor was body odor, you protect the guests from being embarrassed, but at the same time, by mentioning the odor, you indicate to the guests that if the man has a body odor issue, if he wants to stay in a private home, he should be very careful to use good hygiene and keep clean to minimize the odor, or he should stay in a hotel instead.  I add the line about you suggesting they stay in a hotel, because it helps indicate the severity and impact upon you of this odor problem you were left with.  

Kateřina0
Level 2
Prague, Hlavní město Praha, Czech Republic

Thank you, I love that review. I didn't want to be personal as it's very embarassing, they were otherwise fine.

I always learn something new here. 🙂

I face similar problems, but in my case (guests stayed for one night only), they really overdranked the other night and had continuous diarrhea in both bathrooms, so the house stinks so badly that I myself feel disgusted to leave my bedroom! I know that upset stomachs can happen to everyone, but also in combination with an ENORMOUS alcohol smell I feel that I need to leave the house myself. On the other hand,  they were not loud, and were also respectful. 

I know that it is my responsiblity to warn other hosts as I would never agree to have them again.

What shall I do? 

P.S. guests are Europeans

Sabrina8
Level 2
Houston, Texas, United States

Hello Katerina, 

I used to work for a company here in the US whose parent company was in India.  Most of the executives were on temporary work visas and this would be a major transition for them, since their customs and culture regarding hygiene were vastly different from ours.

They usually had to go through a sensitivity/adjustment training to become more accustomed to the culture of how our country tends to use hygiene products to hinder certain "offensive" body odors.  This was not alway accepted by certain execs that were comfortable with their natural body scents.  

Therefore, I would suggest a slightly revised version of this possible review (depending on your personality):

"John and Carol were wonderful guest that were very respectful of my home during their stay in Dallas.  I really appreciate having such valued guest in my home.  As a host, I was concerned with the cultural difference regarding natural scents within my residence. Although I welcome the diversity of my wonderful guest; it is important to not make the next guest feel uncomfortable because of any lagging scents from the exiting guest."

Okay...so maybe not post this in the review, but send this to the guest as part of the behind the scene "direct" review. 

Dee128
Level 2
Tempe, AZ

I had a couple guests stay over who refused to wash when they first arrived, even though they came from driving long distance (like 10 hours), and did not even bother showering before going to bed.  They kept stinking and I gave them towels, soap, and handed it directly to them (thinking they'd take it as a hint), but they just kept refusing to wash!!  I don't know why it's so hard to get certain people to wash themselves, but I felt embarrassed for my other guests who were staying in separate rooms from them, and they would have to experience this unclean couples' B.O.

They are from a country where it is likely normal for them to not stay clean up to Western standards, and I felt at loss on what to do.  First of all, I do not want to be labeled as someone who is discriminatory- I said nothing about the smell and tried to make no comment about it, but it was not something that could be ignored!!  Everyone notices, and it's not just a personal issue I have with them.  They made the whole room they stayed in incredibly stinky beyond measurement, and I had to do some deep cleaning after they left.

Jeanette99
Level 1
Girard, PA

I looked for this topic because I am experiencing this with my current guests. They are enice enough people, but they reek of cigarrette smoke and their luggage smells like cat urine. I am worried about lingering oders. I need to find a delicate way to warn other hosts. 

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

Is there a carpet? I was advised to sprinkle baking soda liberally over the carpet, let sit for 20 minutes, and then vacuum it all up. Same for curtains, pillows, etc. 

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

I have a really smelly guest from Egypt right now. I was advised not to tell him he smells. I have another guest in the house. The body odor on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 10.

I am also worried that the mattress will smell when they leave. I have another guest who booked with us the same day the smelly guest leaves.

What should I do?

Jack403
Level 1
Wishaw, United Kingdom

What does one do when it is the host and their furniture/bedding that all smells of BO?

@Jack403 there are a lot of threads on this. Lots of clever solutions with vinegar. I will do a spin around the board and see if I can link some for you. 

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

I've had guests who shower 2 to 3 times a day yet still have a musty odour and leave the room smelly. It is obviously a medical problem. As soon as they leave, the windows are opened and everything is cleaned and air sprayed which is what I do with all guests.

As for reviewing, I think it is unfair to mention this.

Fred2148
Level 1
North Las Vegas, NV

I strongly disagree with host who do not disclose that a guest carries a strong offensive, and repulsive oder. I understand that there may be cultural or phycological reason's, however it should be up to each host to read the circumstances involved and make a decision. Some host will report the theft of a cloth, minor accidental damage, etc. Things that carry less expense than a full disinfection, and extensive cleaning of a room to hopefully eliminate an odor, so why not mention it. It is only fair to all others who are paying for the utilization of your space, and especially a caring host. 

I have written the message below to my current guest who's ghastly pungent order has inferiated myself and my two (male) room mates:

"Good afternoon (Name), I hope the room suits your needs, and that you are finding the rooms clean and comfortable!

I know traveling can be tiring, and most guest just want to get in the room, clean them selves up, and get a good nights sleep, before attacking the new day.

For the convince of my guest I have bath soaps and shampoos marked "AB&B" in the Shower/bath tub area. Should you desire a different type of soap or scent, I have several others available which you are welcome to choose from. I even have an assortment of Colognes which you are welcome to indulge in.

Just let me know of your choice, and I will be happy to bring them to you.

Enjoy your stay!"

Should the guest take advantage of my offer, or if he makes any effort at reducing the oder, then I will not mention the situation in the reviews. However if he does not then I will absolutely share it in the review.

Best wishes to you all! 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I would just say "X and Y were friendly and respectful guests who communicated well and followed the house rules. There was some extra cleaning required after they left but overall they were great guests and I would host them again (if you would.) "

There is no good way to say "you stink." All other hosts need to know is that they may require a little extra cleaning because really, that is the upshot here. You had to wash every surface and air out the room. No permanent damage was done. 

You could consider putting something in the private feedback that their "perfume" might be an issue for someone with allergies or sensitivities, but that is as far as I would go and I probably wouldn't even do that.