How to review not so great guests that also weren't terrible?

Arran0
Level 2
Courtenay, Canada

How to review not so great guests that also weren't terrible?

We have been hosting guests in one of our rooms for about a year and have had wonderful guests. Recently we decided to rent out our whole home when we go away for weekends or by request. I am very clear in our listing (I think!) about what our home is like and what we expect from guests: Our listing for reference I also email a very detailed house manual that explains our home and what we expect from guests with regard to cleaning etc. We just ask that the house is as close to the way they found it as possible - dishes cleaned, counters wiped etc. Ours is very clearly a family home so I suppose I also rely on people's good sense!

Our latest guests (University Master's students) didn't do anything major- no permanent damage etc. But they also didn't read (or chose to ignore many details of the house manual). I don't know how picky to be with regard to my review. Also, I'm only reviewing 1 person in a group of 8! How picky do you get with your reviews? The little things I am talking about: kitchen had crumbs, cheese and bits of food everywhere; something had boiled over on our gas stove and the burners aren't working correctly now; dining table had sticky beer & pop all over it; they turned off our heated floors even though I say not to adjust that thermostat at all; they burned something other than wood in our fire place that has left a residue on the glass; they left a used gun shell casing on our shelf (and we have small children here that like to chew on things!) and other little things. I am going to leave all this in the private feedback but wondered what to say in my public response. Am I being too picky? A little mess is part of renting out a house? 

Thanks for your help and support!

9 Replies 9
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Be honest in your review. To me, if your rules were clear, they didn't read then and were disrespectful of your home. I don't think I would want these guests.

Thanks Monica. I realized today that I didn't leave out the binder that has the house rules but I did email it to them twice. I know having a hard copy probably would have helped. Should I email the guest to see if the house manual wasn't clear? I could put it in a nice way I think.

No, if you emailed the rules to them and they didn't bother to read those rules, they won't read any further emails about the rules. Just leave a factual, honest review.

Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Arran0 For the review, you could say that unfortunately the guest didn't comply with some of our house rules, such as taking proper care of the furniture and fireplace, which required extensive cleaning. (Gets the point across without being too emotional.)

Also, less is more--especially for the important stuff. You might find that guests just won't read an overly detailed house manual. (I say this without seeing it, I realize, so no offense. I just find that repeating the top 3 rules always works best.) 

The person who booked is the representative for the whole group. So even though that person may not have been the actual person who did x y or z, they're the responsible party. 

What do you think?

I agree about being factual but unemotional when you leave your guest review.

How about a security deposit when you rent the entire home? Then it's just a matter of "If you comply with the guide you will get your full deposit back." I bet they will read it then!

That is a great idea @Michele39. I have wanted to keep things simple with regard to deposit and cleaning fees but it would probably be good peace of mind for me as well.

Thanks @Lisa7. I did exactly this. I didn't go into too much detail in the public feedback and stated some of the good things too. I think I will get another host to look at my welcome book and see what works and what doesn't.

Thank you!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

To be honest, I think you are being way too picky - sometimes people's expectations of cleanliness and tidyness is differnt. Sounds like nothing that signficant to me....a little mess as you say...

Ginger4
Level 1
Tetonia, ID

You don't need to mention the specific things they did not do... the point is they did not follow instructions. I would mention that. And be sure your instructions were part of your rental agreement so they know what the rules are before they rent.