How to use the desinfectants Airbnb wants us to leave to AIR DRY

Rosalie13
Level 1
Portola Valley, CA

How to use the desinfectants Airbnb wants us to leave to AIR DRY

Hi Airbnb team,

I spent time today learning about their new cleaning protocols for covid
I went to search the recommended Keystone desinfectant cleaner which doesn't state to let it air dry.

Airbnb specifies to spray all kitchen / bathroom surfaces and LEAVE TO AIR DRY (screenshot below)
Yet the  instructions of their recommended Keystone product   (and other desinfectants I’ve researched) all state to thoroughly wipe down with water after a certain amount of time on surface. No mention of air drying.

Has anyone discussed this with airbnb ?
THanks! Rosalie

Rosalie (host)

Rosalie Cornew

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]
8 Replies 8
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Rosalie13  No screenshot?  And @Katie would you remove Rosalie's telephone number please?

Sammy35
Level 10
Pittsburgh, PA

i can't answer this specifically...

but i have HEARD that antiB and disinfecting/sanitizing items like hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, sanitizer bleach etc should air dry and i have heard that from anthony faucci (DEF NOT the us surgeon gen) which is basically the only guy listen to...well, that's not true, take stock and trust in his answer validity and reliability utility etc i believe he's looking our for our best interests.

i clean with all the goods, and wipe down, then clean again and leave air dry, that's just me

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it
Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Rosalie13, just a heads up that I have removed your phone number from your post, as per our Community Guidelines. 

It would be great if you could share the screenshot you reference, so we can take a look at your query more closely?

Thanks for editing my info. I had copied my email to airbnb into the community post and forgot to delete my last name and phone. Learning.... Thanks for guiding us.

Rosalie13
Level 1
Portola Valley, CA

Rosalie13 here again.... I'm adding the screenshots I refer to in post... the screenshots are of the airbnb cleaning instructions and the desinfectant cleaning product instructions I found in airbnb's referred to / recommended (?)  Keystone desinfectant as well as others I researched. Which to follow? Concerned that air drying will leave the chemicals on surfaces causing possible health reactions. Has anyone looked into this and gotten airbnb's feedback? Thanks!keystone info cleaner, similar to other desinfectant productskeystone info cleaner, similar to other desinfectant productsAirbnb info on how to air dry the desinfectantAirbnb info on how to air dry the desinfectant

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Rosalie13  I can't really help you, I gave up on Airbnb's cleaning protocol after the first guest.  It was insane.  It took more than twice the normal cleaning time. 

So, I'm doing what I always did, cleaning, vacuuming, maintaining towels and linens in a separate space, spending extra attention wiping down remote/light switches/door knobs and then adding a sanitizing step with an alcohol based product.  

The Airbnb COVID protocol is a trap, it is a lose/lose situation for the host.  The cleaning is such that unless its a luxury property you could never recoup the costs, yet, if some corner is found undusted or a fingerprint on the closet hangars, you could be banned and your guests will surely get a refund.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Rosalie13 We can do it only because we don't book back to back stays. Impossible with this cleaning protocol (and I think not permitted?) If you have a guest check out at noon and one coming in at 3 on the same day, this protocol is impossible to follow. You do need more drying time and the entire thing takes ages. We actually have a cleaner who does a normal clean and then go ourselves and do this whole routine. It cuts down on your availability for sure. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rosalie13  Allowing a product to air dry doesn't mean you can't then go and wash it down with soap and water after it has dried. All the safety info I've read (scientific studies, not Airbnb directives) says to let disinfectants remain on surfaces for a certain period of time, not just spray and wipe off.

And the screen shot you posted doesn't say what you seemed to think it does. It doesn't say you HAVE to leave the disinfectant on the surface , it says what I stated above-that if it isn't allowed to dry there's no guarantee that it has done the job and to allow air drying when possible.

Also, the screenshot of the manufacturer's directions appear to be generic instructions,  and not specifically addressing a highly contagious, possibly deadly virus. If I were you, I wouldn't get caught up in the wording- I'd let it dry to be on the safe side, then wash it down to remove residue.