How to verify infant/toddler age?

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

How to verify infant/toddler age?

I was wondering if there is a way/any host that have experience verifying/confirming an infant/toddler guest age? Sure, I can guess when they arrive, but is there a way I can confirm/verify this that let's say the kid is 2 year old and not 3 year old?

15 Replies 15
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Farah1

It's getting to the extreme end of hosting if your concern is whether a toddler is 2 or 3. I would take it on trust that most people are honest - if you are starting from a position of mistrust then you will constantly run into battles with guests - and personally I think quite rightly so. Might someone try get a lower price for a two year old when in fact they have just turned 3? The odd person might. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things - I don't think so. It others may have a different view.

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 it is just an example. Based on my understanding is that airbnb differenciates and the "cut off" is 0-2 and then above 2. It is just an honest question out of curiosity if there is a way to verify it, and it does not necessarily means that I do not trust people. I have been hosting for 4 years and never have trust issue, fortunately. 

I also have a legit example of a kid that I know is 5 years old, but he is so tiny that nobody would ever think he is 5.

I am only asking honest question in the forum and not to be judged. This hosting experience is a part of a business where I need to report tax, etc, and not a charity. A kid or not a kid is a human/person and not a ghost, so for me, it should count as a person/guest (unless they fall under ABB infant category).

@Farah1

Sorry Frarh - reading my response now does sound like a criticism. I guess what I meant to say in a less clumsy way is we don't sweat about the small stuff becatit really doesn't matter. I am sure one could ask a guest to produce a toddlers birth certificate but it seems extreme. 

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 no worries. That is the challenge on reading/writing in text that it can be perceived in a different way as we cannot hear the intonation. I hope my qeustion/post does not make me seem like a person who do not trust others/annoying. I completely agree that asking for a birth certificate is a stretch and I do not want to be obnoxious to others. I do not receive a request with toddlers that often, but I just received one last night and that is why this cross my mind and makes me wonder 😄

Excellent response.

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I guess you could ask the parents for a birth certificate.

But that may not go over well.

Does it really matter?

@Wendy-and-Frank0 I guess I did not give the best example (2 vs 3). It does and does not matter at the same time, I think. It does not matter if the age difference is not that significant, but it matters when the age difference is significant (and maybe the kid is small in size).

The birth certificate is the only thing came to mind as they do not have ID yet, but of course I would never be obnoxious asking people's birth certificate. 🙂

Again, I was just curious.

@Farah1,

Give the kid a cup of water.  If he slobbers it, he's two.  If he doesn't, he's three.  If he burps after drinking it, he's 16.

Thank you for this reply. I laughed for a good 10 minutes 🙂

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Most kids I know think birthdays are a big deal. They practice holding up the right number of fingers, say how old they are, etc. If a host allowed <2YO to stay for free (doesn't matter for hosts who charge for all guests) then talking sweetly to child and parents about what a sweet little baby this adorable child is will either be received warmly or could possibly elicit a "I'm not a baby, I'm a big kid!!" from a kiddo over two. 

Kathryn-and-Paul0
Level 8
Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Anyway I have just been told by Airbnb that I cannot charge for a child until the child is 5. Up until five it is free this is dispite my house rules saying the first child is free and second infant charged as a guest. Not good and am now thinking of suitability of our chalet for infants.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Kathryn-and-Paul0,

I’ve had such a situation - this year, and now it comes down to definitions!

According to Airbnb: 0-2 years (That's the official rule).

Is an infant: 24 months minus 1 day or 36 months minus 1 day?

We had a guest this year: who brought a 2 year old infant (Nice guests by the way).

We charge an uplift for any guest over 4.

And they even made a remark, our property was nicely priced?

And do I have news for you: They can bring as much as 5 at no additional costs.

So when Quinto-mum comes along, you better make sure, you can handle her family 😄

Oh, and we are lucky.

As we are obliged by law, to collect ID info.

So we always know their age 🙂

Susan329
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

Yes Airbnb automaticaly place this on the owners, if you book an airplane and want a seat you pay full fair no child cocession as the child will be on a passport so age is shown maybe ask for id of child. Yes my experience of 9 years renting houses well before Abnb the guests will sneak in extra gusts and invite people to stay who are not booked so it is 50/50 to guest honesty. It is up to the owner to decide if they want to charge or not as the infant will require items and use the amenities as any body else. Why should this cost be the burden of the owner. Airbnb seem to think they own the property and then they will tell you they are just a booking platform what a copout so why do they control the money and terms.