How to word in rules that host may enter property for maintenance, etc?

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

How to word in rules that host may enter property for maintenance, etc?

In reading through posts here mostly about outdoor security cameras I came across a post where another host discovered their modem and thus camera had been disabled. The group here suggested she message the guests that they would be coming by at a certain time to check on and possibly repair the issue. The guests got kind of freaky about it. The issue magically resolved itself so she didn’t have to go by, but it got me thinking. I would like to add wording to my listing stating that we, as hosts, have the option to access property for maintenance or repairs during a stay. Maybe allow x hours notice or something. What wording have others used and would you be willing to share? 

2 Replies 2
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Annette76 

I am a live-in host, so that's not a problem for me per se, but I do sometimes need to ask a guest if I can go into their room to sort something or the other out and they never have an issue with it, but I guess that's a different situation.

I used to rent to long-term lodgers, and there was always a clause in the contract that stated that I could enter their room (with prior notice) for repairs or without any notice for something that was urgent. This is actually pretty standard in such contracts here in the UK, although I believe 48 hours notice for non-urgent repairs is the norm.

So, I don't think there is any issue with adding something similar to your house rules. However, if it really does make your guests uncomfortable, then you might have to think about limiting visits for non-urgent repairs and do them in between bookings.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0@Annette76,

The landlord entrance guidelines are generally the same across the US.  State regulations will usually range between 24 and 48 hours prior notice for non-urgent entry, and no notice is required for emergencies.