How vegan-friendly is your listing?

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

How vegan-friendly is your listing?

Sybe_0-1660561224372.jpeg

Hi everyone, 

Living more ethically, with the planet, the environment, people and animals in mind, has become an important focus for many these days. This often translates into lifestyle changes, however big or small, and as a result veganism is a way of life that has continuously been growing in popularity.

While for most, being vegan relates to a diet only, it can be about way more than just what one eats. From the cleaning products that you use, to the essential amenities you provide or even the materials of some furniture pieces in your home, there’s a lot to consider!

With that in mind, I am curious: how vegan-friendly is your listing? 

I’d love to hear if this is something you’re consciously considering in the day-to-day running of your listing, if you’ve made some accidentally vegan choices that you’re really happy with, or if that’s a conversation you’ve ever had with your guests!

Thanks!

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

25 Replies 25
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sybe wrote:

If you're vegan but you do eat fish, I believe that's called pescetarianism and it's quite common!

Well yes, but I'm talking about people who eat fish and call themselves vegan nonetheless. I know other people who describe themselves as 'mostly vegan', which I guess is fine, because we can work out what that means. I once knew someone who was 'vegetarian, except for at McDonald's'. Lol. 

As for your question, I think it's a bit of both. Some people will jump on a trend because it's fashionable, but some people will identify with a trend because it already fits their beliefs/interests. 

Another example is sustainability. It's become trendy to hark on about plastic waste and the oceans. Well, great. I am glad that issue has become so high profile and a lot of people are now thinking about it and maybe taking some action.

However, so many people call themselves 'sustainable' or 'environmentally conscious' when they are nothing of the sort. Sporting a reusable water bottle while leaving on all your lights, heating your house until it's like Hades or sending everything (apart from plastic water bottles) to landfill does not make one some kind of eco warrior! 

And don't even get me started with the whole food intolerances bandwagon!

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Huma0 There are definitely some bandwagons currently, there's no denying that! I find a lot of these terms quite misrepresenting as well especially like you say, people call themselves xyz but have nothing to show for it. As long as it doesn't harm me or anyone else, I don't mind that much what people call themselves. 😃

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sybe wrote:

As long as it doesn't harm me or anyone else, I don't mind that much what people call themselves. 😃

Ditto. I would never chastise people for what they choose not to eat or choose to call themselves. Live and let live is my motto.

However, if you've ever been in a large group situation at a restaurant where you are literally the only person who is happy to pick something from the menu, it can be a bit painful. I really feel bad for the restaurant or catering staff. I have experienced this many times on press trips. While I know some of the other people have genuine intolerances (often severe), it just seems odd to me that in a group of, let's say ten people, nine can't find anything on the menu that they can eat. Funny how this was NOT the case 20, or even 10, yeas ago. 

I am constantly making fun of my 13-year-old niece for her food fussiness. I mean, how ridiculous is it to say "I don't like sauces,"? What do you think that is on your pasta. "Oh, pasta sauces don't count." What about soy sauce then? You seem to be all over that. "Erm... well soy sauce is the exception."  And how is it that you can't eat dairy, but it's okay if it's ice cream? You get the gist. I really hope she grows out of this. She wasn't fussy when she was younger.

Honestly, it seems to have become a trend to be a fussy eater. It's like some people don't want to be left out when everyone else at the table is being difficult. 

Of course, I have gone a bit off topic. I have respect for people who choose to be vegan due to their convictions (I personally do not eat veal or foie gras) and it's great that there is much more choice for them these days. I was a vegetarian for five years in my youth and, back then, the choices were limited. You were lucky if you got a bean burger or a nut roast! Being a vegan was near impossible.

I also think the 'real' vegans don't normally make a song and dance about it because, unlike the 'fake' vegans, they are not doing it for attention.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Sybe I like the topic, we have only 3 guests inform us that they are vegan in 18 months. Personally we do not offer food or breakfast and it is not advertised  for our airbnb. But, I do give our guests a complementary hamper basket on arrival with enough food for a light continental breakfast and enough for a cooked breakfast for the number of guests and say that is a gift to get started. 

I have had a couple of guests who have read the reviews and they say they are vegan. I still give them a basket and swap food that is not vegan eg. supply almond milk, nutlex butter, vegan bacon, and add vegan cheese. Instead of scones for afternoon tea on arrival I make a vegan rasberry and cocnut slice. They are so pleased that someone has made an effort when not asked and thier compliments have been rewarding.

@Ted307 I love the photos of the chooks. I keep on mentioning to my husband I would like a couple of chooks as we has vegetable waste which I feed my worms in their own little farmhouse and my garden reaps their outcastfor a reward.

@Laurelle3 

Our girls prefer the worms to the veg!

Ted & Chris
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Laurelle3 The basket sounds lovely and really something you cater to each guest's specific needs. Have you ever thought about making jam? It's very easy to make vegan if you swap the gelatin for pectin, store it in big pots and perhaps scoop it into smaller pots for the basket. 🍓🫙

-----

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Sybe ,

I do make the jams, (strawberry, apricot), marmalade, lemon butter and pickles. Strawberry jam is very popular, if not in season I make them out of frozen strawberries (small amounts). I also cook for charities for their stalls, one of the last people who do. It is becoming a lost art when our Lions Club has their Quilt show I make 5 dozen scones each day for the weekend for what we call "Devenshire Tea" a words from the past colonial times.

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

How can you tell that someone's a Vegan?  

Don't worry, they'll tell you.  

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

I offer wine, tea, coffee, honey, sugar, etc.  I can’t confirm that it’s vegan or not, but no one has complained.  My cleaning products are all as natural as possible and unscented.  I’m vegetarian, but I’m certain there has been quite a bit of meat cooked in our property and stored in our fridge, no worries because everything is cleaned:)

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Michelle1851 Tea, coffee and raw sugar are vegan. Most refined sugars are unsuitable for vegans though as they use bone char to refine it. Wine can contain traces of animals as well.

The sugar and wine are more detail-oriented though so if you have a guest who does care about this, I'm sure they'd check the label anyway. 😃

-----

Honey isn’t vegan.