How would you describe your home in one line?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How would you describe your home in one line?

One line listing description.jpg

Hello everyone,

Every home on Airbnb is different, they all have their quirks and interesting features. You have the opportunity to give your listing a brief title to attract guests’ attention (as we discussed here), but how would you describe your home in one line?

Perhaps your apartment is “An oasis of calm in the city center, a stone’s throw away from the best shops and restaurants” or your house in the countryside is “A family home with nature on the doorstep, far from the hustle and bustle of city life.”. The possibilities are endless! Creative juices at the ready!

I look forward to reading your creative descriptions.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

33 Replies 33
Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie Interesting idea.  However, how I would describe my home is not the same as the title I use for my listing as I only rent out the top loft floor.

If I were to describe my home in one line it would be: 

Comfy, warm family home in a lovely part of West London, with excellent shops and restaurants nearby."

It's no more and no less than that!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Well it certainly sounds nice to me @Rachel0. I think when visiting a city, sometimes you don't necessarily think of finding a comfy, warm place, so it's really nice to have this–plus, it shows you have a great location.  🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

This is a good question, @Lizzie!  It's something I fret about.  It's like describing yourself, which is not always going to be the same as describing how others see you.  As hosts we have to think about what would attract someone who doesn't know anything about the place - and that's not always the same as what we love about the place. 

There are four layers to our descriptions:  the Title, the Summary, the Space, and the Neighborhood.  A friend came up with my title ("Stunning Hilltop Architectural Gem"), and for the summary, I use bullet points to highlight features of the house and the area, i.e., "* 3,000 square foot architect-designed home on 12 private acres  * 10 minutes to shopping, hiking, swimming; one hour to Acadia."  I went with bullet points because that's the first thing people see, and I wanted it to be easily digestible. For the Neighborhood, lower down, I give a condensed menu of activities.

My opening line on The Space is, "This modern rambling house is perfect for a family, with open areas for gathering and private spaces for everyone" -- and with your provocative question I think I'll do some work on that.  🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, @Ann72! Your home is incredible. I love watching architectural tv programs on interesting properties around the world and your home in Maine, would fit very well. 

Did you design this home yourself? 

--------------------

Thank you, @Lizzie!  I love those programs, too!  An architect designed it, but it was a very collaborative process.  We met several times, at the site and at his office, talked over what kinds of things we liked (not just in design, but things like "Fred Astaire's dancing"!), and then he drew it.  He had a wonderful understanding of the demands of the site - sloping, with lots of granite under the surface.  Once it was drawn we made numerous adjustments and then we were good to go.  When I walked into the house, I told him, "You gave us the house we wanted even though we didn't know what we wanted."  It was a very happy process.  If you ever come to Maine, please stay as my guest.  🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is really interesting @Ann72, from your photos (on your listing), you would never thing it is sloping. What I like is the feeling that the outside is inside, as you see the trees through the windows. It looks like a very special home, congratulations on the design. How old is it? 

--------------------

@Lizzie You are such a darling, thank you!  It was finished in 2002.  Until 2015, when it debuted on Airbnb, it wasn't used all the time.  And it's in a part of Maine where there's not really a winter scene, so it's pretty quiet there most of the year.  Which is a wonderful antidote to New York!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It sounds lovely @Ann72. Well, this is making me want to book a trip! 🙂 I've only been to the east coast once and that was to NY,  so feel like there is so so so much more to explore. Living in the city, I often catch myself dreaming of trees and open spaces. I'm sure I'm not alone. hehe

--------------------

@Lizzie You are definitely not alone!  🙂  I hope you can manage it - after all, it would be by way of being a business trip!  I won't forget, though, so whenever you're ready to pop over, just send a message and you'll be all sorted.

More on that slope - your note got me thinking - the architect was so clever with that, he has a walkway sloping very gradually to the front door, with two wide shallow steps down.  Inside, master bedroom kitchen dining room etc. are all on one level, but there are three steps down to the living room.  The children's bedrooms are up a hallway with two steps up.  So it has definite spaces that allow for privacy or for a different vibe, but overall has a very open feeling.  I'm in awe of the kind of training and thinking that went into that!

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

" A Winter Wonderland "  

IMG_6676.JPG

@Lizzie

Rubén
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Just gorgeous @Rubén16 - I love it!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What a beautiful photo @Rubén16. That is certainly an appropriate line to describe your listing. I imagine this is what it is looking like at the moment? When will it start to thaw out do you think? 

--------------------

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Lizzie  Due to the altitude the snow hangs around for quite some time,  It will all be gone by the early part of May.

Rubén
Amrita8
Level 3
Chennai, India

Hi Lizzy,

Thanks  for giving me the opportunity to discribe our Villa in Chennai India.

This bungalow stands on one level  in and out ,converged by variety of fruit  trees ,covered by well manicured lawns,Vegetable & flower patches, all oragaically grown, away from the city & very quiet.We have had many convalescing Patients who found it theraputic to wards recovery.

Thank you again.