How would you respond?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How would you respond?

I have a reservation coming up in two weeks. The guest has been asking many questions, all covered in the listing. After about a third round I told her to please read my description first as it is all covered there and let me know if she still has questions. I explained that while I did not mind answering, I felt that my guests benefited from knowing what to expect when they arrived and it sounded like she has not had a chance to read through any of it. Her response was that she read through multiple times and thought these were questions that were not answered.  Here questions are: if there is wifi (in amenities section, highlighted by Airbnb, and as free text in my description); parking (I have a paragraph in the description and go over it again in the getting around section) and so on.

Should I just answer her questions and move on or point out where the answers are? I do not want to "stick" anything to her but also she clearly has not read anything.

10 Replies 10
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Answer the questions. It’s part of the gig.

Imagine going to a hotel associate, asking a question, and having them reply “Just read about it online. It’s all there.”

We are not in the hotel business, but we are in the hospitality business.

@Pat271 yes, that's a good point however hotels are straight forward and airbnbs are not always. For example, this house is divided in two townhouses combined and they need to go outside to move from space to space; there is a train nearby and people who do not regularly travel to big cities are often startled. I need them to know this 

@Inna22 Maybe for this guest, who seems to be having unusual trouble, you could copy and paste all the details she needs to know into one message or document you could send her. 

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

@Inna22. bom dia simplesmente responde

o questionamento!!

att.Loni

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Inna22  Well, at least you already know this guest will be a problem, as she is either too dumb to absorb what she reads or she told you a little white lie about reading the listing.  Asking if there is wifi in a listing in downtown Chicago alone pegs her as already on the weird side.

What kind of review did the third party people leave you, and/or were you able to get it removed?

@Mark116 yes, I thought wifi question was a bizarre one.

Airbnb did remove the negative however I got a notification that it was posted and had to spend another half hour sorting it out

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The shorter you keep your answers they less they tend to ask questions already well covered in the listing description.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  How irritating and unnecessarily time-consuming. I might say something to her like "Oh, maybe you aren't clicking on where you need to to see that info", and send her a screenshot of, for instance, the amenities list where the Wifi is mentioned. 

There do seem to be some people who prefer to ask questions than bother themselves to read what is already provided.

Be prepared for her to be calling you at 11pm during her stay to ask about things that are clearly addressed in the house manual, sigh.

@Sarah977 I like that, thats what I will send her. Yes, bracing for their arrival. It is a bigger group, hopefully they will be self absorbed once they get here

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Inna22 I think many guests view and book from the app, which is horrible compared to desktop. In my initial message to guests I say "The listing is thorough in its information, and any questions should be answered by reading through it, but it displays best on a full size device. Be sure to click the 'Read More/Get Details' links to expand all text."