Humour in life

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Humour in life

We Australians are fortunate in that there is a funny side to almost everything in life.

I travel through this area frequently, it is about 40 Kms north from my home and when I saw this bit of road kill on the side of the road, I couldn't help linking the two!

Sure as hell is!.jpg

This is a large country, it's the same size as the US. Where would we be without the good ol' Aussie 'mudmap'!

the original australian mudmap.JPG

Here in Australia our national mail delivery service is called 'ironically' Australia Post, and their slogan is...."We Deliver"!

With the advent of, firstly, fax and then email their volume of business and quality of service have deteriorated to the point where we say....

Deliver?.....yeah....Pigs might fly!

IMG20180315143620.jpg

Makes a great intelligent use for an old 'out of date' gas bottle though.

It even accepts junk mail...... which when you come to think of it, is about 95% of what Australia Post delivers anyway!

Cheers......Rob

54 Replies 54
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

I know this is totally racist, but I LOVE Australians!!!  Adorable accent, that cheery humor (Loved "Kangaroo Flat"). 

Thanks for the laughs!

Best,

Kim
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kimberly54

And you know Kimberely we all love Americans! You may not always be right, but you have an ethic in fighting for the underdog that no other nation has.

During World War 2 Europe was being devoured by Germany and Britain had just lost two of it's capital ships in the Pacific...the 'Prince of Wales' and the 'Repulse'. The only thing that kept the opposing sides apart was the English Channel in Europe and The Owen Stanley Ranges in New Guinea for us.

The then British Prime Minister Winston Churchill requested that Australia should fall to the Japanese so that the fighting forces could be better deployed on the home front supporting England!

My father was stationed in Milne bay when the American arrived....and did they arrive! You guys moved in more manpower and might in a week than we could have mustered in a year, and you fought with us and you saved us from a very unpredictable future.

You didn't have to do that.....but you did.

We don't forget our friends, your battles are our battles, and if America fights a war on Mars, we'll be there behind you, it may be a token effort, but we will be there.

I no doubt don't speak for every Australian, but I do speak for the bulk of us!

Cheers.....Rob

Hi @Robin4, very cool about your father... and I think what Americans and Aussies share is that we're both kind of 'renegades.'  You guys got shipped off, and we 'jumped ship.'  Broken with tradition in different ways, but a real break in tradition.

Cheers, mate!

Kim
Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

This little fella is going to be late for St Patrick’s Day drinksThis little fella is going to be late for St Patrick’s Day drinks

@Robin4 This is a trend here in the States. It gets pretty creative with get well cards and the sort. 

Will you be enjoying a toast for St Patrick’s Day?

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rene-and-Zac0

With a surname like Shannon.....how could I not...todays my day Rene....the bar opens early!

The rest of the world just don't realize how many Kangaroos there are in Australia. It is impossible to drive on any country road in Australia for more than 5-7 miles without seeing one that has been hit, so we aren't big at giving them a send-off......but at least I don't think we paint road markings over them like some places!

6e9fd632d1e8e3ffa3458e6e036e4d5c--funny-insults-my-job.jpg 

I remember once walking into a general store in Cockburn, not far from Broken hill and thought I had walked over a welcome mat until I looked down and realised the furry pelt was all the remained of a long past roadkill that nobody had got around to moving!

Cheers.....Rob

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

One more...lol @Robin4

3635EEBC-C456-4683-B11D-C2D93BDA6C53.jpeg

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

This "memorial to dead raccoon" was a great bit of Twitter feed. - https://www.boredpanda.com/dead-raccoon-memorial-shrine-mourning-deadraccoonto-toronto/

Only pales in comparison to "memorial to dead cockroach". 

https://mashable.com/2015/12/21/dead-cockroach-memorial/#gIP3yKmgrgqs

@Alice-and-Jeff0

Alice, that raccoon one is just beautiful! Why can't there be a bit more of this in the world.

Stick the cockroach one though, there are three things in this world that I do not, and never will have time for!

A cockroach, a Mosquito....and a 'Big Mac'!

Cheers.....Rob

The funeral pyre that someone creates for the cockroach had me rolling... it just goes to show you how creative people can be even with a lowly, gross, cockroach - there is, somehow, comedy even in the death of a bug. 

@Alice-and-Jeff0

Nah Alice, can't agree....on the way driving down the Fleureu peninsula around a hamlet called Currency Creek there is an ancient living gum tree that an indigenious Australian hacked a big piece out of to make a canoe back in the 19th century. There is an advisory roadside sign about this trees significance as you approach it. One night some yobbo ring-barked that tree and killed it. 

If I ever came across that person I would not want to talk to him/her/it....I would just want to slap their face....I would want to hurt them....and the only other thing I feel that sort of revoltion for is.....a cockroach.

Death of a bug, no comedy.....bring it on!!!

Cheers.....Rob

Hi @Robin4 @Kimberly54@Rene-and-Zac0 !

Robin, your "Humour in life" gave us a good laugh, too : -)

It sort of reminds me of a cat I scraped off the road many years ago. He'd just been hit by a truck, but anyway, I stuck him inside my jacket, got on my bike & assumed he'd be dead by the time I got home. Well,  a dentist pal gave him the once over ( no vets here then) & said he thought the poor animal would survive, even though he was in a dreadful state, though still purring, mind you.

He went on to live a good life with us despite having 3 broken legs & a broken back. Needless to say, we called him Quasimodo & he loved us to bits.

He got hit by a truck 11 years later !!    His destiny or what...?

He certainly enriched our lives & now, we laugh at the absurdity.

A 'Happy St Patrick's Day to you, Rob. ( I'm half Irish myself) & all the best , Kim ( will message soon ) & Rene & Zac.

@Βασίλης & Ann

Oh Vasili, you captured the essence of having a pet....as damaged as this poor animal was it still managed to purr for you.

Every time I look at Betts, I see an unconditional love in her eyes. I will be sitting down in a comfortable chair and she will be on the floor in front of me and her eyes won't leave me for more than a second or two. It seems her duty in life is to keep watch over me and protect me from her imaginary demons.

People who do not experience this are truly missing a wonderful part of being alive.

Thanks Vasili.....or Ann for posting that!

Cheers.....Rob

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Actually, cats purr with fear and pain as well as the pleasure reasons. I will make a guess and say this cat was both frightened and in pain.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

This is a really funny thread... I actually had to scroll back to the top to see what we're supposed to be 'discussing!'  The road-kill tangent was hilarious.  It actually took me (aside from Kangaroo Flat) more than a few minutes to catch on that people were doing funny stuff to road-kill.  (very funny indeed!)

At any rate, and in the spirit of Humor (and St. Patrick's day is always humorous--and quite the holiday in San Diego), check out:

Best,

Kim