Hurricane Ian, any suggestions moving forward?

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Hurricane Ian, any suggestions moving forward?

First off the primary reason I'm hosting on Airbnb is to help with some extra income to recover from a hurricane. Especially in the south east they are very common and there are a wide range of possibilities and outcomes from worst case, direct hit from major hurricane, to best case a total miss, and everything in between. 

I've been through many over the years, and have had two in the 3 years I've been hosting. The thing is that even with a tropical storm it may cause widespread power outage that may last a day or two weeks depending on the extent of the damage or if you happen to be one of the first to get power back or one of the last. 

I've had many guest both past and upcoming reaching out to find out the status after Ian. They watch the news that finds the deepest puddle with a clogged drain and everyone thinks the entire area is underwater, and don't know how long an area might be flooded. 

This is the next morning after the hurricane Ian. There is some minor clean up where a tree blew down but power is resorted and the entire area is back to normal. I don't have time to send each guest a message, so being able to send an update, like "Marked Safe" and options on social media, such as power resotored, estimated time to restore power, or have damages repaired, would be helpful so future guest don't cancel.  

IMG_2368.JPG

Encouraging guest to add travel insurance for hurricane prone areas would also be helpful, by specifically including some of the risk, if they don't already. I think this would be helpful to guest especially, as hurricances can be very difficult to pinpoint where they land. 

I did lose a tree. We saw 55 knots. This particular kind of tree has a short life and blows over very easy. 

Finally, Airbnb is a great way for host to add some extra income to recover from hurricanes. For all that got hit hard and have a long way to recover, its still reassuring that host can pick back up where they were, and start hosting again after recovery. In my case, I wouldn't have broken even yet on the cost to renovate, had I been flooded, but would have made repairs, and started hosting again as its gong really well. That gives some indication of the added overhead for some of us also can't afford to be issuing refunds for guest personal issues. 

Feel free to add any other suggestions for hurricanes or natural disasters that might help both host and guest. Do you have backup power? Plans in place? When do you encourage guest to cancel? Were there any issues? Did you get damage? Gong to recover and keep hosting? 

5 Replies 5
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Wanted to add: For those of us hosting in hurricane prone area, such as south east US, this isn't an isolated event. We have to except some damage or flooding at some point. 95% of the time its minimal or no damages even with a near miss or partial impact. Its possible to be shut down for a month for repairs, however lose more bookings and reservations over 5-10 years from unnecessary cancellations. Communication is the key and some flexibility, so can't just focus on one storm, and try and avoid any unnecessary cancelations. I had two this time but rebooked. Airbnb is a great way to help generate extra income to recover. At least for me I have to be mentally prepared to deal with any consequences. The reality is that in one week we could go from bright sunny day, to evacuating, and returning to no house at all. Most of the time they are near misses but at some point one is much worse than expected. Its a choice you make living in a hurricane prone area, but the good thing is that they teach you to plan ahead. Its best to be self sufficient and realistic if possible. Its also great how the community comes together after such events. Each situation is different though and sometimes it can be very bad timing for someone, but hosting is a great way to help prepare. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

After two cancelations for the hurricane, my calendar was blocked off for the next four nights, with same day check in, awaiting guest to pay for the reservation they booked. Later that day they asked if they could try again the next day, today, to see if their credit card had enough funds, and have me remove that day, yesterday, from the reservation, as they had 24 hours to make payment and had no idea when or if funds would be available. I convinced him to cancel the reservation but by that time it blocked four nights for the entire day. I was hoping to rent these nights out as I told a guest I would refund her canceled nights if I could rebook the rooms.
 Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 10.51.41 AM.png

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@John5097  It would be MARVELOUS to have a button or reporting feature that a host could go to and trigger "All SAFE and RENTABLE" after an event like Hurricane Ian or the forest fires experienced by towns in Tennessee or California etc.  

The fact that CS is outsourced to other countries means that the typical CS operator has no idea as to whether or not your property has been affected by an event -- the whole state could be "turned off" by a geographically challenged CS.  For example, hosts in the Ukraine and Russia with no banking ability.

@Lorna170 

A lot of guest are still reaching out. I updated my listing right away that everyting was fine,  power restored, etc, but a lot just message to find out the status the day before their last day to cancel penalty free. Those were also the cancelations except one I was hoping to refund if I could rent.

Guest from Napels rented vacant nights on their way to Asheville until their power is resorted in Fla. but not the night that got canceled and blocked off. 

That's a great idea about being able to have an status update after fires also. Maybe include info host can choose, such as if power is on or out, internet, heat, AC, if roads are open. Also host can choose to change their cancellation policy if they want. With hurricanes its most likely not going to hit but won't know until the last days and past guest time to cancel penalty free. I'd rather have them keep the reservation and wait and see what happens as no one else is going to book. 🙂  

It would be much better to just let guest know if a listing doesn't have power in such a situation and let them cancel if they want. If not more guest will cancel over time out of uncertainty of refund. 

Camille725
Level 1
Orlando, FL

I am new to hosting, in fact I had my first booking scheduled for last weekend.  My cottage in New Smyrna was completely flooded.  Now, it will take months to restore.  My question:  I am trying to get to super host over the next months, which of course, is now delayed.  I need to cancel several reservations for this month and next.  How do I do that without getting dinged on my cancellation percentage?  I am pretty sure I understood the perimeters of being a super host entails having not cancelled 90% of the time.  With not even being able to have my first successful booking and reviews, I am now having to cancel.  Any advise would be most appreciated!  Thanks...