Hyper-specific amenities?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Hyper-specific amenities?

In the past few weeks we have had some interesting inquiries:

1. Do we have safe running trails on our property for my son the long distance runner?
  2. What is the snowmobiling like? Do you have one for guests?
  3. How close is the gym (brand given) or do you have an elliptical machine?
  4. My daughter is an ice skater. How close is the nearest ice rink?

I am always impressed by the new and different guest needs that crop up. We actually had someone ask one of these questions at booking and then cancel as soon as I answered and said it wasn't something we offer, but there were some options within driving distance.

I do wonder what I am missing as these very specific (and often fitness related) amenities seem to be asked for more recently than ever before. Are there hosts out there who are having the same experience? Or is it just my generally unique guest population? Or, is it part of the expectation of a hotel or resort-like stay which guests are increasingly interested in?

4 Replies 4
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592 My guests come and hole up, for the most part. Their needs are few, bless them. Blankets, popcorn, Netflix and hot tub towels. 

I’m continually amazed, because right outside the door is nature’s playground and heaven on earth. Banff NP is a bucket list destination for many people. I guess we DO take it for granted. Of course, it’s still as over run as ever, but you don’t even need to go to the park to enjoy the spectacular outdoors here. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Laura2592 It's your generally unique guest population 🙂 I haven't had an inquiry all summer, only bookings. 

@Emilia42 yeah these questions have been recent for stays in winter. I guess people in this area can no longer stomach the idea of just being indoors watching Netflix...

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

We usually just receive inquiries about stuff that's already in the listing details, like the distance to the beach, the stadium, or town, but sometimes folks will ask about diving or trails.  Most of our guests don't exercise during their stay, because to avoid the hot sun and thick humidity they'd have to do it at sunrise or shortly right before sundown.