Hypothetical Question

Alejandro-Hector0
Level 2
Manila, Philippines

Hypothetical Question

Hi Fellow Airbnb Hosts!

Here's a puzzling questions for you all. A similar case almost happened to me in the past.

Hypothetically speaking - lets say a host has this listing that specifically says "No Parking" on the listing page. Lets say a guest books it, the check-in date is about 1 week away. 3 days later, the guest informs the host that needs 3 parking spaces. To which, the hosts says that parking is not available, and sends a screenshot of the listing page that states that no parking is available.

The guest decides that she wants to cancel with a refund even though the cancellation policy is set to strict.

This is clearly a case regarding an error made by the guest. So I have a few questions that I hope to get your insight on. Of course, each host has their own different style of hosting. So I would love to hear your input on all this.

1. Does the host have any obligation to give a refund?
  2. If the guest involves Airbnb - is there any reason for Airbnb to give a refund to the guest.

I'm just using parking as an example. But this can easily be relatable to other cases where there is an error on the guest's side regarding the booking like a PWD guest booking a listing with stairs, or a guest thinking that they could hold a party in the listing even though no events or parties are allowed.

Looking forward to hear your responses! Happy Hosting!

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Alejandro-Hector0  I see that you have 29 listings and no guest reviews as yet so I imagine you are gettig ready to host on this platform.  Good for you!

While you may have other booking platforms to work with, it is good to understand how this one works.  Whenever a guest seeks amenities that are not available or misunderstands the listing set up, it is a good idea to refer to Air BNB to cancel.  I just let the guest know that you do not handle the financial aspects and that is what you pay a fee to Air BNB for.  Air BNB will adjudicate based on your cancellation policy or apply the extenuating circumstance policy if appropriate.  Therefore it is important to capture the guest communication in the Air BNB message system.

Do not fall for guest complaints about losing money because of their error and you shouldn't take their "hard earned money" (I had a guest state that!).  What I offer is a refund of any dates that are re-booked.  I  don't budge.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Alejandro-Hector0 yes, I would expect ABB to refund them

I have had it happen

And yes they can, and no you don't have to agree