I am a host who needs to cancel a booking

Vittoria-And-Conor0
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I am a host who needs to cancel a booking

Hi, 

I've just started hosting a room in my apartment.. so far it has been going well.. until yesterday I realised I had made a mistake and not blocked certain dates (where I am away) and I won't be able to check out the guests.

My cancellation policy is moderate... do i have to email Air BNB customer services to explain the situation to cancel... or do i just message the guests who have placed the booking explaining the situation?

I am really worried this will make a bad impression or get my place suspended? 

5 Replies 5
Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

I think your best bet @Vittoria-And-Conor0 is to contact Airbnb with your situation and explain you are new. Maybe they will let you off the hook, because cancellations by a host are severely punished. Airbnb expects you to keep your calendar updated, and they don't want guests to be disappointed and inconvenienced by cancellations. 

I had a family emergency and had to cancel. Guest was rude, I went on to explain my daughter had been attacked by her partner and had to move back home. This made no difference to him, he was more rude and at that point I was glad that I wasn't having this horror in my home. Airbnb have now fined me £40 just to add to the stress of this situation. It seems that guests should come before your own family! I'm now cancelling. I've had one guest who had a great stay but I'm done with this! 

Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

Do you need to check out the guest? Do they have good reviews? Maybe consider just letting thdm stay if you feel comfortable with that optipn.

Wayne9
Level 4
Metairie, LA

If it were me, I think I would contact the guests to let them know the situation and that I would make sure they get 100% of their payment back.  You could also search in your area for a comparable place to stay and let them know if there are any available.  Things like this do come up from time to time and as long as it is rare, your place shouldn't get suspended.  

Another question. As a host when you cancel is it required the guests respond? I have given 6 weeks notice of cancellation sent several emails through Airbnb site and haven't gotten a response. My fear is they will show up!!and not have a place to stay