I am not sure I trust a potential guest, based on his profile. What do I do?

I am not sure I trust a potential guest, based on his profile. What do I do?

I need some help.

I have an inquiry from a new Air BnB user. He joined in June of this year and he has no reviews. That doesn't make me nervous. But his only form of verification is an email address. I thought Air BnB required more identification than that. No? Oh, and his name is Tuna. One word. Tuna. He inquired about getting a discount because he has only two people in his party and our house sleeps four. This feels strange. What would you do? 

Thank you. 

Tracy

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tracy-And-Jason0  Guests who start out asking for discounts are reported to end up being bad guests in other ways. Just tell him that you don't offer discounts, the place is very good value and that you wish him luck finding a more suitable listing for 2 people. If it's just an Inquiry, messaging back with the 24 hour window will suffice- you don't need to preapprove or decline. Hopefully you'll just not hear back from him.

Yes, Airbnb is no longer requiring guests to post clear face profile photos or much verification, but you can ask guests for all those things before approving a booking.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Tracy-And-Jason0 ,

I would ask for more information. And you can request ID verification.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/272/can-i-require-guests-to-be-verified-before-booking

The discount is not that strange , under condition 1 bedroom is not to be used.

But if you feel not OK with this guest, simply decline the inquiry (Or do nothing, but message the guest it does not suit you).

Best regards,

Emiel

Thank you Sarah. This is very helpful.

Yes, hopefully he doesn't write back. 

I am surprised Air BnB is not as strict with it's ID policy. I don't understand that. 

P.S.  LOVE Sayulita BTW. My husband and I have been there many times. 

Say hello for us!

Tracy and Jason

@Tracy-And-Jason0 Airbnb increasingly caters to making it as effortless as possible for guests to book. They're only concerned about their profit, not about host comfort or safety.

Several other hosts on here have mentioned that they know Sayulita or have friends who live or come here, it's cool. Look me up if you come down again! Always like meeting other hosts.

Absolutely! We will. 

@Tracy-And-Jason0

The abb ID verification means nothing really just that they sent a copy of their ID to abb and abb has confirmed the ID *seems* valid...... it is and always will be up to the host to screen guests.

If you are able to lock the extra bedroom and limit access, then you could tell the guest you'd consider reducing the price by $10 a night factoring in less sheets and laundry and one less room to clean while also saying if budget is an issue they should be looking at smaller places more appropriate for 2 people. Good luck~

Thank you. This is helpful as well. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Tracy-And-Jason0

Based on the fact he is asking for a discount, I would decline the offer to host him!

Like you I would not  hold the 'newbie' tag against him. Some of my nicest guests have been 'cleanskins' but when you accept a reservation you need something more than an email address and the name 'Tuna' to go by! 

He seems to strike out on all three major hosting guidelines.

A/. No proper verification!

B/. No past reviews!

C/. He wants a discount!

You guys have been around the Airbnb traps for long enough now to have developed a feel for who is worth hosting and who is not...and from the way I read it, your question answered your question!

You have made your decision already....and I think it is the right one.

All the best to you both.

Cheers.....Rob

I love your response! Thank you. 

You are right!

Take care, 

Tracy

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Not at all suggesting that you host this tuna. BUT he probably has a last name on his profile, abb just won’t tell you what it is until after the booking is confirmed. 

Everyone on abb is first name only until the money clears.