I asked a Host if I could check in a few hrs earlier and he said yes and it would be free

Cory102
Level 2
Hershey, PA

I asked a Host if I could check in a few hrs earlier and he said yes and it would be free

Before I went on a trip I conversed back and forth with a host about checking in a few hrs early he finally got back me to and said that I could and it would be FREE. I was still charged $194.76 Airbnb reached out to me and I said I do not authorize this charge few weeks later I was charged. Airbnb asked me to ask for a refund and the Host denied it and Airbnb said case closed. I want to know how I would go about getting my refund. I was told originally it would be free 

11 Replies 11
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Cory102 The way a host can request extra money [using the Resolution Center] also requires that you ACCEPT the extra amount. AirBNB doesn't ever charge a credit card without authorization from the guest, so something odd is going on here. [As a host, there are times when I wish they did.]

If I were you, I would simply contest the charge with your credit card company, but there is still a mystery that I might wish to solve. The question becomes, how much time do you wish to invest in learning more.

One more thought.... is there any way that this is your second installment to pay for the original reservation?

Cory102
Level 2
Hershey, PA

They you for replying back to me they told me to confirm that I was checking in earlier never saw I was going to be charged. 

airbnb is not working with me on this either 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Cory102 did you communicate with the host via Airbnb messaging? If there is evidence of your conversation and agreement with the host, then you should be entitled to a refund. 

I asked and Airbnb is being very rude about this. They said the host "intercommunicated"

Cory102
Level 2
Hershey, PA

I did and he denies the request and I am on the phone with Airbnb now and it’s a near 1 hr wait 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Cory102   The host cannot charge you extra money for anything unless you agree, so you must have agreed to either a reservation change or an extra charge and not realized it.  I can't see any other way that you would actually have been charged.  

No we were charged without authorization. Never said we were going to be charged. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

I don't understand something:

1. You were charged by this amount only for the early check-in

or

2. You were charged higher for the nights spent there .

or

3. The host has told you that only the early check-in will be free

Number 3 host said it was going to be free 

IT can't be about the early check-in. And definitely, it can't be without your consent.

Deb125
Level 10
Lahaina, HI

Maybe the extra charge was for taxes,  I include State Taxes in my rate, however a lot of hosts don't as its a way to look like a guest is paying less money in a nightly rate, then prior to check in or on check in the guest gets an extra charge for State & local taxes?