I can see my all my guest's personal email addresses - shouldn't this be private?

Marj12
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

I can see my all my guest's personal email addresses - shouldn't this be private?

Hi hosts!

Hoping to get your input and opinion on this please!

After submitting a review for my guests, i am always prompted to refer Hosting to my friends to make some $$$.

When I click on the "More sugestions"  button,  Airbnb then proceeds to list out all my past guests along with their personal email address.

This only happens on the airbnb mobile app when I click on "more suggestions" - personal emails are not shown through the browser on my laptop.

I have contacted airbnb to report this as my understanding was that all personal email addresses should remain private.    However they have repeatedly replied telling me this is correct and that it is not a privacy breach.  

To me, it contradicts this link:    https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/article/694/how-will-my-email-address-look-to-other-people

Do you guys agree?  Or hopefully you can explain it to me better than the airbnb support person I was chatting to 🙂

Thanks!

24 Replies 24
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Marj12

Lovely to meet you, my name is Lizzie and I am the Community Manager here in the Community Center. Thank you for highlighting and for contacting our Support Team regarding this. 

I want to let you know, I have now pass this over to our team as well, so they can take a look. 🙂

Thank you again for spending so much time looking into this. 

Lizzie

(@John28@Lawrene0@Ange2@Letti0 - for reference)

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie  As I was reading this thread I kept thinking, "Contact Lizzie!"  and low and behold, here you are!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hehe, aww thanks @Linda108! I'm here! 🙂 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Something is not right.....I have been extremely sick for the last 48 hours at least and have not even been on here,,,,I just went to go check my notifications b/c I know the times were not adding up, but if I click on the notifications it asks me if I am sure I want to leave this site, and so I say no and I can't check my notifications. 

Marj12
Level 2

Thanks @Lizzie - looking forward to hearing the outcome! 🙂

Marj12
Level 2

Hi @Lizzie   - just wondering if you know what came of this? I did notice some changes so just wondering.  Thanks!

Looks like it is fixed, @Marj12. I noticed the changes, too. Thanks, @Lizzie!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Marj12,

Thanks for your message here.

It does sound like there has been an update on this and thank you @Lawrene0 for confirming. 

Thank you so much for the all the time and effort you put in to sharing more details on this and do keep me posted on how you are finding it. 

Hope to speak with you again.

Lizzie

--------------------

John28
Level 6
Honolulu, HI

Where did all of the other people's comments just go? 

John28
Level 6
Honolulu, HI

I hadn’t even thought about this until the question was posed, but then I started to think, how did my current guests staying atm email me directly, which they did and this was before they arrived? This along with phone numbers being given out,  leaving anything out with even more personal information, and they can easily assume your identity! (Not that I think my current guests would at all, but if there is to be future guests, this raises many security issues, as do a host of others. (No pun intended) ha ha