I cancelled a booking, Airbnb said they'd block that date, then someone booked it again !

Jean256
Level 1
Dunedin, New Zealand

I cancelled a booking, Airbnb said they'd block that date, then someone booked it again !

I canclled a one day booking. Because it was my first cancellation within the first six months, there were no financial penalties, although a cancellation history will be posted on my profile, and that date permanently blocked on my listing.  Unfortunately, within 24 hours, someone had booked that same date again.  There must be a lag-time between the cancellation of a booking and the blocking of that date.  How do I communicate to Airbnb that I want to cancel that same date again, without any penalties, after they stated it would be blocked for the year ??? I have communicated to the guest concerned my dilemma, and sought airbnb help online but no-one seems to have quite this problem before !  Someone has suggested online to ask the guest to cancel the booking, but I think that would cost her $50 and affect her rating, just as if I cancel it would cost me money and my rating, when it is not my fault. How do I talk to a real Airbnb employee person ???

1 Reply 1

@Jean256 what an ordeal!

The blocking of the date on your calendar is normally part of the cancellation penalty.

Since you were allowed to cancel *without* penalty, the blocking of the calendar did not happen.

If you are able to cancel again without penalty, you should immediately block that date on your calendar.

To speak to an AirBnB person, go to your Host Dashboard and choose the "Help" page.

At the bottom of the "Help" page there is a "Contact us" button. Press this.

On the next page you should have the choice to "Message us" or "Call us".

Choose "Call us" and follow the instructions. You soon should be talking to a real person.